HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6081  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:43 AM
Tornado Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
They're building this parking garage so they can build on all the surface parking on their campus, i.e. achieve their master plan.

I'll tell you right now how everything will settle. A vaccine will be developed, people will get vaccinated, COVID will be over, and it will be back to business as usual. This will take a couple years, about as long as it takes to build a tech hub.
With many of their HQ employees working remotely, I'm betting they are thinking about how all of their current space is utilized. The whole communal work space idea might not be such a hot idea anymore. Who knows how it will play out but I would love to see that entire master campus plan come to fruition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6082  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 8:19 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
That tech hub is on hold from what I heard due to Covid. I'm thinking they don't want to rush to build an office space before seeing how everything settles.
Who are your sources on the claim that the tech hub is on hold??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6083  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:17 AM
Tornado Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Who are your sources on the claim that the tech hub is on hold??
Just some people at HEB who said that they are looking at how all the space they currently have is utilized. Guess they are seeing if they need to change their plans? I could be wrong too so don't take it as gospel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6084  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:28 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 537
Nice little article in The Rivard Report.

https://therivardreport.com/construc...ntown-streets/

It would look like any other weekday in downtown San Antonio if not for the absence of summer tourists and office workers on the nearly empty streets and sidewalks and a River Walk left mostly to a few locals and the herons.

What has not changed during the coronavirus pandemic are the sights and sounds of construction on nearly every block.

Workers in hard hats and reflective safety vests make up the most visible population on downtown streets where orange traffic cones and blue-steel cranes seem to signify the show must go on.

Considered an essential business, construction has plowed ahead during the crisis, and
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6085  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 11:31 PM
SAguy SAguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 462
From SABJ:

**The largest permit pulled was for a $32 million construction project, issued to an unknown registrant at the future site of South Flores Lofts at 215 E. Cevallos St., a nearly 300-unit residential project in Southtown. Developer Rajeev Puri confirmed during a Planning Commission hearing for another project that the apartments would break ground next month. Another permit was pulled for the same address for $3 million in parking.

**Another downtown conversion received a permit for a $5.6 million project, the redevelopment of the 10-story Real Estate Building, according to the city. Last year, the Business Journal reported the building would be converted from apartments to a 41-room hotel by a local development team made up of partners Craig Glendenning and Uri Villarreal. However, the plan is luxury apartments again, Glendenning said, after planned operator Stay Alfred ceased operations. He said he has been incrementally applying for permits throughout the development, which is four months away from occupancy.

I couldn't find the individual thread for these projects so I posted them here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6086  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 4:19 AM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From SABJ:

**The largest permit pulled was for a $32 million construction project, issued to an unknown registrant at the future site of South Flores Lofts at 215 E. Cevallos St., a nearly 300-unit residential project in Southtown. Developer Rajeev Puri confirmed during a Planning Commission hearing for another project that the apartments would break ground next month. Another permit was pulled for the same address for $3 million in parking.

**Another downtown conversion received a permit for a $5.6 million project, the redevelopment of the 10-story Real Estate Building, according to the city. Last year, the Business Journal reported the building would be converted from apartments to a 41-room hotel by a local development team made up of partners Craig Glendenning and Uri Villarreal. However, the plan is luxury apartments again, Glendenning said, after planned operator Stay Alfred ceased operations. He said he has been incrementally applying for permits throughout the development, which is four months away from occupancy.

I couldn't find the individual thread for these projects so I posted them here.
Thanks for posting this, but I think they must have that address wrong. 215 E Cevallos is where the Cevallos Lofts are. Maybe it's 215 W Cevallos?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6087  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:30 PM
Bigfoot Yancey Bigfoot Yancey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 32
The first 3 images on Ryoak Real Estate’s website show the 1334 S. Flores project: https://www.ryoak.com/development . One of these must be the $32 million project, must be mislabeled on SABJ.

Looks like they are renovating the ‘historic’ building on S. Flores to mixed use and building a more typical 4-5 story building in the back (see third image). I like what they’re doing on Flores although the second image condos looks a little Too ski chalet for the context.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6088  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 10:30 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 611
Some people formed an organization called the San Antonio Stockyards Historical Society. Apparently its main purpose is to create a Stockyard District like what is in Fort Worth and turn it into a major tourist attraction. So far so good, most of the SA Stockyard site is still intact, although converted to industrial purposes, but it could be turned into some type of Old West cowboy type place. But no, that's not their plan. Instead they propose converting one of two other properties, either the Friedrich complex on E Commerce, or the Scobey complex, next to VIA Centro Plaza. Their plans are... far-fetched I think describes them. Part of the Friedrich plan involves planting an eighteen-foot wide grassy strip down the middle of E Commerce so they can do daily "cattle drives".

Friedrich plans
https://sashs.org/wp-content/uploads...ncept_modm.pdf





Scobey plans
https://sashs.org/wp-content/uploads...s_Scobey-4.pdf




SASHS website

SABJ article about this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6089  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:29 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 987
This feels forced. I don't like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6090  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:04 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 581
So for years, I have wanted to see the stock yards converted into an entertainment district like in Fort Worth. Once they started building apartments, and storage industrial type buildings I figured that would never happen. I'm shocked to see this. I would like it to be in the original location of the stock yards, but if I had to choose one of the two locations the Scobey location would be great. Since the Stockyards is right off IH 35, and Scobey is right off IH 35, and the train tracks that go by Scobey go by the stock yards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6091  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:45 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,259
Exclusive: Equity investment allows $65M redevelopment near downtown to finally move forward

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 11, 2020, 12:38pm CDT
A Dallas-based developer has landed a $10.6 million investment that allows it to begin construction on a $65 million redevelopment on the East Side.
Dallas-based Provident Realty Advisors plans to transform portions of the former Friedrich Air Conditioning property at 1617 E. Commerce St. into 347 residential units called Friedrich Lofts in a public-private partnership with the San Antonio Housing Trust Public Facility Corporation and the American South Real Estate Fund (ASREF).
“I just really believe in the East Side. We’ve received tremendous support from the city and from the neighbors,” Dave Holland, executive director for Provident, told the Business Journal.
Units will range from 625-square-foot efficiency units to two-bedrooms with more than 1,000 square feet. The San Antonio Housing Trust will own the property and provide a 75-year ground lease to Provident. As part of this deal, Provident must designate half of the units for families making less than 60% to 80% of the area’s median income.
The project will also include a five-story parking garage, which will provide free parking to residents. The facility will also include a fitness center, a pool and a 6,000-square-foot clubhouse with a leasing office. Units will include finishes such as 10-foot ceilings, stone countertops and stainless steel appliances.
Holland added that the apartment complex will benefit recent college graduates who can’t afford to live in existing high-end properties downtown.
“We think we can bring a Class A product near downtown to the East Side, just a high-quality living environment close to where they work,” he said.
The original 75,000-square-foot Friedrich Air Conditioning Building will remain under ownership of the surrounding property’s seller and could be redeveloped, Holland said, but such a project would be separate from Provident’s development. It is owned by Dallas-based John Miller under the entity Friedrich Lofts, Ltd., according to Bexar County records.
The ASREF is a joint venture between Los Angeles-based impact fund manager SDS Capital Croup and Shreveport, Louisiana-based Vintage Realty Company.
The $10.6 million investment enables clean-up and demolition to begin later this year. Construction is slated to begin early next year with completion estimated for 2023. Provident’s in-house general contractor will build the project in partnership with the San Antonio Housing Trust Public Facility Corp.
Still, the developers need additional approvals to get started. This includes finalizing a construction loan through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and removing the property from the national historic registry, Holland said.
Dallas-based Architecture Demarest designed the apartments. Holland said the design will mimic the era in time when the building was active and will repurpose features of the building such as the fire escape.
Provident had to push back the project several times for three years due to funding, but the equity fund’s investment should prevent any further delay.
“We just saw the poverty, the blight, the number of businesses boarded up, and we saw opportunity,” said Deborah La Franchi, managing partner for ASREF, describing that the fund’s goal in kickstarting projects in undeveloped communities throughout the South. “You will see some local retail entrepreneurs have opportunities to take the boards off some of those retail shops right across the street.”
After a previous equity partner backed away from the project after two years, Holland was connected to La Franchi and ASREF through Pedro Alanis of the San Antonio Housing Trust. ASREF has been active with three other local redevelopment projects with the San Antonio Food Bank, Haven for Hope and Lighthouse for the Blind. The fund’s investment includes capital to acquire and renovate the site as well as equity for the new construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6092  
Old Posted Yesterday, 9:51 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
This feels forced. I don't like it.
Agree. This is like putting a canal system surrounded by bars, restaurants, hotels and convention center in downtown OKC - oh, wait they did.

This is way too similar to something that already exists (~275 miles to the north) - not original.

I do, however, like the idea of some sort of "entertainment" district. But, don't copy the Fort Worth Stockyards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6093  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Agree. This is like putting a canal system surrounded by bars, restaurants, hotels and convention center in downtown OKC - oh, wait they did.

This is way too similar to something that already exists (~275 miles to the north) - not original.

I do, however, like the idea of some sort of "entertainment" district. But, don't copy the Fort Worth Stockyards.
These guys are definitely basing their idea on the Ft. Worth stockyards too much. San Antonio could do something similar but with an emphasis on its own history. San Antonio has a unique and celebrated heritage of being a cultural meeting point for food and music, going back over a century. This place could showcase that, not just square dancing and chuck wagons. Have ranchera music and polkas. Have vaqueros and charreadas. Have chili queens. Have German beer gardens. Move the Buckhorn and Texas Ranger museum to the site. Relocate the industrial businesses from the Union Stockyards and build it there. San Pedro Creek goes right next to the site, as well. It could be pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6094  
Old Posted Today, 12:11 AM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Exclusive: Equity investment allows $65M redevelopment near downtown to finally move forward

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 11, 2020, 12:38pm CDT
A Dallas-based developer has landed a $10.6 million investment that allows it to begin construction on a $65 million redevelopment on the East Side.
Dallas-based Provident Realty Advisors plans to transform portions of the former Friedrich Air Conditioning property at 1617 E. Commerce St. into 347 residential units called Friedrich Lofts in a public-private partnership with the San Antonio Housing Trust Public Facility Corporation and the American South Real Estate Fund (ASREF).
“I just really believe in the East Side. We’ve received tremendous support from the city and from the neighbors,” Dave Holland, executive director for Provident, told the Business Journal.
Units will range from 625-square-foot efficiency units to two-bedrooms with more than 1,000 square feet. The San Antonio Housing Trust will own the property and provide a 75-year ground lease to Provident. As part of this deal, Provident must designate half of the units for families making less than 60% to 80% of the area’s median income.
The project will also include a five-story parking garage, which will provide free parking to residents. The facility will also include a fitness center, a pool and a 6,000-square-foot clubhouse with a leasing office. Units will include finishes such as 10-foot ceilings, stone countertops and stainless steel appliances.
Holland added that the apartment complex will benefit recent college graduates who can’t afford to live in existing high-end properties downtown.
“We think we can bring a Class A product near downtown to the East Side, just a high-quality living environment close to where they work,” he said.
The original 75,000-square-foot Friedrich Air Conditioning Building will remain under ownership of the surrounding property’s seller and could be redeveloped, Holland said, but such a project would be separate from Provident’s development. It is owned by Dallas-based John Miller under the entity Friedrich Lofts, Ltd., according to Bexar County records.
The ASREF is a joint venture between Los Angeles-based impact fund manager SDS Capital Croup and Shreveport, Louisiana-based Vintage Realty Company.
The $10.6 million investment enables clean-up and demolition to begin later this year. Construction is slated to begin early next year with completion estimated for 2023. Provident’s in-house general contractor will build the project in partnership with the San Antonio Housing Trust Public Facility Corp.
Still, the developers need additional approvals to get started. This includes finalizing a construction loan through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and removing the property from the national historic registry, Holland said.
Dallas-based Architecture Demarest designed the apartments. Holland said the design will mimic the era in time when the building was active and will repurpose features of the building such as the fire escape.
Provident had to push back the project several times for three years due to funding, but the equity fund’s investment should prevent any further delay.
“We just saw the poverty, the blight, the number of businesses boarded up, and we saw opportunity,” said Deborah La Franchi, managing partner for ASREF, describing that the fund’s goal in kickstarting projects in undeveloped communities throughout the South. “You will see some local retail entrepreneurs have opportunities to take the boards off some of those retail shops right across the street.”
After a previous equity partner backed away from the project after two years, Holland was connected to La Franchi and ASREF through Pedro Alanis of the San Antonio Housing Trust. ASREF has been active with three other local redevelopment projects with the San Antonio Food Bank, Haven for Hope and Lighthouse for the Blind. The fund’s investment includes capital to acquire and renovate the site as well as equity for the new construction.

Excellent project for the area!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.