HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Culture? History? Identity? I seem to recall posts on same in Canada from time to time ...

Not that I see some Mountbatten Windsors parking it in Canada as relevant to same. I guess I’m pleased that they think we’re a nice place for an extended visit.
I suppose, but parachuting Harry (as some are suggesting) into the GG's throne - primarily because of he and Meaghan's celebrity star power if we're being honest - seems like an odd way of rekindling some of the spirit of the (cough cough) British Empire.

Especially since even if Harry were living at Rideau Hall, Canadians would still go on with their usual wholly (North) American pursuits that the UK-derived monarchy is supposed to counterbalance at least a little bit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I see great value in our Westminster parliament and am not iconoclastic regarding our history. That said, it is clear that the British Empire that spawned us is dead, and has left behind not much more than a hedge fund and an intelligence unit. What advantage do we gain from LARPing that it remains a going concern?

I agree. Britain has given Canada some great things, not least of which being the parliamentary system. But that doesn't mean we have to hold on to the anachronistic fluff. We'll still have our shared history, and can be proud of it, if we choose.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose, but parachuting Harry (as some are suggesting) into the GG's throne - primarily because of he and Meaghan's celebrity star power if we're being honest - seems like an odd way of rekindling some of the spirit of the (cough cough) British Empire.

Especially since even if Harry were living at Rideau Hall, Canadians would still go on with their usual wholly (North) American pursuits that the UK-derived monarchy is supposed to counterbalance at least a little bit.
Is there actually serious talk of this? I thought it was a joke when first mentioned. Why would Harry want to do this?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Is there actually serious talk of this? I thought it was a joke when first mentioned. Why would Harry want to do this?
There is no serious talk about this from anyone with any kind of authority, but plenty of ordinary Canadians are evoking it. It would be interesting to see a public opinion poll on the issue.

Don't underestimate the number of people who have watched a few too many Disney Princess and Barbie Princess movies, not to mention fans of celebrity magazines, TV shows and websites.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Well said. I would quote your other posts in this thread, too, but I pretty much agree with all of it.

I would exclude Quebec from this equation, though (and I don't mean that sarcastically or in a tongue-in-cheek manner, as I sometimes do). Quebec does have a sense of place, a sense of self, and some self-esteem.

Canada does feel like a bit of a joke sometimes.
Quebec has its own issues, problems and demons. Some of them fairly serious.

But you are right that this is not one of them.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:56 PM
video et taceo

It's just... whatever Canada's British history means, these two aren't it. These people and their situation feels more like something from Tony Blair's "Cool Britannia" years.

But sure, come and see the sights. Go up the CN Tower, smoke a joint. It's cool. Rocky Mountains.

No panhandling though.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Harmless diversion ....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:01 PM
video et taceo

You're probably right. You're certainly right. There's just something about how Canada chatters sometimes that gets under my skin.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Harmless diversion ....
Probably. Though the line between the serious affairs of the state and mass entertainment is getting increasingly thin.

I mean...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/people/donald-j-trump/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. You're certainly right. There's just something about how Canada chatters sometimes that gets under my skin.
It must be the uniquely Canadian culture ... Embrace it. Cherish it. Thank the Creator for it. Certainly works for me ...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Screw you, Prince William.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

GG would not work for many reasons. Lt. Gov of BC might be a good fit. He presumably has a pulse, so he meets the essential requirements of the job. It provides a justification for the security the PM promised the Queen we would pay and the dogs are already in Victoria.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Fairly innocuous I suppose, but still pretty darn slim when it comes to the profound and unique.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
GG would not work for many reasons. Lt. Gov of BC might be a good fit. He presumably has a pulse, so he meets the essential requirements of the job. It provides a justification for the security the PM promised the Queen we would pay and the dogs are already in Victoria.
Eh I wouldn't be so sure, the last Lt Gov of BC had to actually make a decision requiring some tact when the outgoing Premier had asked her to dissolve the legislature. It wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion that she would decline either, there was precedence either way.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Eh I wouldn't be so sure, the last Lt Gov of BC had to actually make a decision requiring some tact when the outgoing Premier had asked her to dissolve the legislature. It wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion that she would decline either, there was precedence either way.
There were probably precedents either way as well ...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:00 AM

Is there precedent for a government that has never received confidence to receive an immediate dissolution? I think it was a pretty straightforward decision.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:58 PM
Reason and Freedom

Harry and Meghan Reportedly Interested in $36-million Vancouver Waterfront Mansion

According to a report today by British tabloid The Sun, the royals are interested in purchasing a Kitsilano waterfront home in the Vancouver Westside — right on Point Grey Road.

The property’s asking price based on the market listing is $35.88 million.

As with any property along Vancouver’s so-called “Golden Mile” or “Billionaires Row,” the highlight is its breathtaking views of Burrard Inlet, the North Shore mountains, and downtown Vancouver skyline. The expansive outdoor deck on the rear of the house is perfect for not only relaxing and soaking up the West Coast scenery, but also sized for entertaining.

As well, this particular property is just footsteps away from lululemon founder Chip Wilson’s waterfront mansion.

Over the past week, there has been much speculation over where the couple will start their new life in Canada.

Toronto was believed as a possible location, given Meghan’s six-year history in the country’s largest city to film USA Network’s Suits legal drama TV series.

But there were also a number of signs that they could be interested in British Columbia’s South Coast, following their recent lengthy stay on Vancouver Island.

Additionally, a home in Vancouver would provide Meghan with entertainment industry opportunities not only in Hollywood North but also access to relatively short flights to Los Angeles. Earlier in the week, she reportedly signed a deal with Disney to provide voiceovers for a future unspecified project in exchange for a donation to the charity organization Elephants Without Borders.

Aside from reports of house hunting, Meghan has been keeping busy during her time in Vancouver this week, making visits to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre and Justice For Girls on Tuesday learn issues affecting women in the community and discuss climate justice for girls and the rights of Indigenous peoples.

Source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/megh...sion?auto=true

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:20 PM

"Reportedly". As in pulled it out of their a**es.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Isn't that close to where David Suzuki lives???

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 7:35 PM

All the Toronto based entertainment and gossip shows are gonna have to move to Vancouver lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada