HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:17 PM
What could go wrong?

The Cactus Club is just like any other Earls type restaurant. Not a big deal and would do fine here. I wouldn't consider it even remotely expensive. Why they are not here already is anyone's guess.

Armorand seems to think we all collect food stamps here in Winnipeg.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

For some reason, a lot of Winnipeg folks get excited by Cactus Club and Milestones, but really they are just more of the same-old, same-old Earls/Joey/Moxys food and vibe. I think our market is pretty well served by that type of restaurant.
Something like Cheesecake Factory would be a different kind of experience for the Winnipeg market. I know it's a chain and all, but I do enjoy going there when I'm stateside. I am hoping it may come here now that PF Chang's is coming.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ You have put Cactus Club on some kind of weird pedestal. I looked at their menu and it's same type of food and price point as all of the other casual dining joints in town like Earls, Moxie's, Joey's, Brown's Socialhouse, etc.

I can't speak as to why they haven't opened a location in Winnipeg (seems to be mainly a BC chain with locations in a few other places) but it's not like that type of restaurant would be somehow unprecedented here.
Agreed, I've been to Cactus Club in Calgary and I put it on the same level as Joey's and Earl's, maybe a touch more fru-fru but I didn't find it high end by any stretch. I think it would do great on Portage Ave near the arena.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Amorand - this shtick isn't fooling anyone. You are clearly obsessed with Winnipeg. Just move back and be done with it.

Either that, or find some cause to rail about in the Calgary forums - you know, where you live? Lots of cool shit going on in Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:35 PM

I still fell the CF should turn the old stadium site into a restaurant/bar/entertainment mall. Sort of similar to what they tried to pull off in Glendale by their arena but without the arena as an anchor. Get lots of only to market places with Cheesecake Factory and potentially PF Changs. Also cut a deal to get Rec Room into the still vacant space in the Target building giving this "mall" the movie theater as one anchor and the Rec Room as the anchor at the other end.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:19 PM

Personally I never heard of the "Cactus Club" until I read about it on these posts (which says a lot more about me than the restaurant, I admit), though I'm glad the conversation quickly put down the boring old "we'll never be great until we have an X" thread.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:22 PM

Lol cactus club

Seriously. Chains are fine and all but it’s the unique places that make a city special. Chains are bleh. Cactus club is absolutely nothing special.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Lol cactus club

Seriously. Chains are fine and all but it’s the unique places that make a city special. Chains are bleh. Cactus club is absolutely nothing special.
Exactly Cactus Club is no Cracker Barrel.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:52 PM

Yeah, I've lived in BC and Cactus Club is nothing special. On the other hand, I recently tried PF Changs for the first time and it surpassed my expectations!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:48 AM
Rational urbanist

Cactus Club is pretty bad, but while it does target the Browns/Earls market as well (all three chains have a shared history anyway), it does have a slightly different vibe. It's not really any more expensive but it's image is glossier. When they open new restaurants they have red carpets, a lot of restaurants have valets...it's the type of place that girls wear tight black dresses to and take photos with bellinis. It's targeted mostly to young people looking to feel fashionable, like they're in the 21st century version of a Mad Men dinner hall.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:12 AM

Cactus Club isn't expensive, the food is always good, nothing specatcular, the Hunters Chicken and the Feenie Burger are the best go toos to order.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:13 AM

Inside the Hargrave St. Market Food Hall in Downtown Winnipeg [Photos]
January 17, 2020

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...innipeg-photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
they have red carpets, a lot of restaurants have valets...it's the type of place that girls wear tight black dresses to and take photos with bellinis. It's targeted mostly to young people looking to feel fashionable, like they're in the 21st century version of a Mad Men dinner hall.
Ehhh..

I told myself I'd lurk responsibly, but as a local millenial (not that I claim to speak for my whole generation), the "sexy servers and VIP treatment" thing isn't what's hot right now, not among what the industry likes to call "millenial trendsetters". That kind of stuff is squarely in the realm of Gen Xers who like to "work hard, play hard" and high five each-other about the waitress with the nice ass. I haven't been to a Cactus Club, but purely from your description, it sounds more "Brad Gross" than "affluent hipsters". That market definitely still exists in the contemporary generation of young adults, but it's not "the new hotness" or fashionable. More of a "I'm going to be like my rich dad" kind of vibe.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:39 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
Ehhh..

I told myself I'd lurk responsibly, but as a local millenial (not that I claim to speak for my whole generation), the "sexy servers and VIP treatment" thing isn't what's hot right now, not among what the industry likes to call "millenial trendsetters". That kind of stuff is squarely in the realm of Gen Xers who like to "work hard, play hard" and high five each-other about the waitress with the nice ass. I haven't been to a Cactus Club, but purely from your description, it sounds more "Brad Gross" than "affluent hipsters".
I'm a (young) Millennial too. It's definitely not a hipster restaurant, more of an aspiring-yuppie one. For what it's worth, it's incredibly successful in that sense. Any given weekend late afternoon I can go through my instagram stories and see multiple boomerangs of people cheersing their glasses at Cactus.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to a Cactus Club, but purely from your description, it sounds more "Brad Gross" than "affluent hipsters".

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Ehhh..

I told myself I'd lurk responsibly, but as a local millenial (not that I claim to speak for my whole generation), the "sexy servers and VIP treatment" thing isn't what's hot right now, not among what the industry likes to call "millenial trendsetters". That kind of stuff is squarely in the realm of Gen Xers who like to "work hard, play hard" and high five each-other about the waitress with the nice ass. I haven't been to a Cactus Club, but purely from your description, it sounds more "Brad Gross" than "affluent hipsters". That market definitely still exists in the contemporary generation of young adults, but it's not "the new hotness" or fashionable. More of a "I'm going to be like my rich dad" kind of vibe.
Who's Brad Gross? I googled but only came up with a realtor. I am 37.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:20 PM

Cactus Club won't be coming here, they feel the market is already oversaturated in "upper casual" chains like Earls/Joey/Browns. The only reason they went to Saskatoon was because there was a huge market gap, only competition was Earls, and it's a franchised one there – No Joey, no Browns at the time.

They have no current further expansion plans in the prairies and have explicitly said no to Winnipeg. Joey also has no interest in a downtown location here, now that they have Local.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:39 PM

I’m a chef and I’ve been to some of the chains mentioned above and honestly I can’t understand why people eat at these restaurants let alone want them in the city... the last time I was at the keg I spent $50 on a mediocre steak and a baked potato. That was 15 years ago and I haven’t been back. I can cook better at home lol. When I eat out I want the food to be the experience, not the decor or the hot server. Winnipeg has so many amazing local restaurants I don’t know why people eat at places like moxies or browns or Boston pizza, fuck, that place is awful, garbage food and they are everywhere. I’ll go to watt street bistro and get the most delicious wonton soup in the city. Or baraka bakery and have some amazing shawarma and falafels, I’ll go to super boys and get one of the best hamburgers on the planet.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I’m a chef and I’ve been to some of the chains mentioned above and honestly I can’t understand why people eat at these restaurants let alone want them in the city... the last time I was at the keg I spent $50 on a mediocre steak and a baked potato. That was 15 years ago and I haven’t been back. I can cook better at home lol. When I eat out I want the food to be the experience, not the decor or the hot server. Winnipeg has so many amazing local restaurants I don’t know why people eat at places like moxies or browns or Boston pizza, fuck, that place is awful, garbage food and they are everywhere. I’ll go to watt street bistro and get the most delicious wonton soup in the city. Or baraka bakery and have some amazing shawarma and falafels, I’ll go to super boys and get one of the best hamburgers on the planet.
Super boys and Baraka are two of my top choices since I live in the area. Also a l’epi de blé bakery.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:33 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Cactus Club won't be coming here, they feel the market is already oversaturated in "upper casual" chains like Earls/Joey/Browns. The only reason they went to Saskatoon was because there was a huge market gap, only competition was Earls, and it's a franchised one there – No Joey, no Browns at the time.

They have no current further expansion plans in the prairies and have explicitly said no to Winnipeg. Joey also has no interest in a downtown location here, now that they have Local.

Cactus Club in Winnipeg... maybe when everyone comes out shopping and burning their wallets, to the tune of Tiffany? "Running through as fast as we can!!!"

Surprised Local came to Winnipeg, though. Is it at least a decent size & of a decent decoration?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan