HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 2:31 PM

That new Alamo Drafthouse is going to be just as tall, have you seen it?
The only problem I have about shopping centers is that they have a tendancy to use freeways as frontage. Disconnected from the neighborhoods and making 410 and 1604 seem like they are our "main" roads. They pull people inside-out.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 8:24 PM

San Antonio has two chances at a second skyline, thats the Medical/Crossroads area, and the North Star Mall area.
The problem with SA, is that we build to many shopping centers. Thats when zoning should take control. We want to build a Walmart, it gets built, we want to build a 10 story building, OH NO, it will ruin the community.
I hate that new shopping center Park North, that would have been a great location for the new Tesoro Complex. Also shopping center at Blanco and 410 got demolished last week. Next to Toys R US. I'm sure another shopping center or Walgreens will move in. Also some apartments across from North Star, behind Wells Fargo was demolished a few months ago. Don't know what the plan is for that land.
The Crossroads area, I say keep the mall, but build sleek high rises out in parking lot areas. Also at the corner of IH 10 and Crossroads Blvd there build another Office Max. That corner had been empty for a while, I thing old mechanic or gas station had been there years ago. Good locations goind to waste.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
San Antonio has two chances at a second skyline, thats the Medical/Crossroads area, and the North Star Mall area.
The problem with SA, is that we build to many shopping centers. Thats when zoning should take control. We want to build a Walmart, it gets built, we want to build a 10 story building, OH NO, it will ruin the community.
I hate that new shopping center Park North, that would have been a great location for the new Tesoro Complex. Also shopping center at Blanco and 410 got demolished last week. Next to Toys R US. I'm sure another shopping center or Walgreens will move in. Also some apartments across from North Star, behind Wells Fargo was demolished a few months ago. Don't know what the plan is for that land.
The Crossroads area, I say keep the mall, but build sleek high rises out in parking lot areas. Also at the corner of IH 10 and Crossroads Blvd there build another Office Max. That corner had been empty for a while, I thing old mechanic or gas station had been there years ago. Good locations goind to waste.
There are so many prime locations for high-rises around the I-10/410 intersection. Every time I drive the interchange I can imagine the potential!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

But there is a lot of high rises all over the place, more would be nice. Especially downtown for sure.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 10:32 PM
San Antonio

San antonio needs more skyscrapres!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:16 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo_pro View Post
San antonio needs more skyscrapres!!
Enough kid.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:03 AM
SA 24th largest city

None of the locations won't work with highrises unless you build more garages to park. SA is a car town. You need a pedestrain environment in order to establish highrise commercial, retail and residential.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:02 AM
San Antonio

it should be a great idea to built another skyline around loop 410
something like this....

and try to make it look like this..
Photo removed by Admin since the photographer/owner wasn't credited.

Last edited by arturo_pro; Sep 18, 2010 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:56 AM
JACKinBeantown

Well that's certainly a helpful suggestion.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 3:49 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Well that's certainly a helpful suggestion.
word

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:00 AM
SA 24th largest city

far future of our skyline

[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 8:07 PM
SA 24th largest city

another skyline

IH10/410

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 9:06 PM

Now only if I-10 & 410 could look like that. That's awesome, good job.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:14 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

So we should be Houston?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:26 AM

We need one area of the city to look like this and the 1-10/410 interchange is a prime location for it. Just one glitzy/cosmopolitan/hip area for those of us who want it. You still have the rest of the city to be brown and lame.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:47 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
We need one area of the city to look like this and the 1-10/410 interchange is a prime location for it. Just one glitzy/cosmopolitan/hip area for those of us who want it. You still have the rest of the city to be brown and lame.
That's very true.

At first glance, I didn't recognize what city I was looking at in that photo of 10/410, yikes. I think that's the only area that could pull it off, any other place and it wouldn't be San Antonio.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:14 AM

Quote:
I as well would love to see that. I love downtown SA and dont mind all the brown buildings. That being said, a area like you mentioned is exactly what we need.

All I can say is you think SA is bad, trying living here in Charleston The skyline here is frozen and always will be.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:15 AM
Paradise

Do you all think it is possible for S.A. to do that?

Quote:
I think it would be nice to have at least one area that could be modern and cosmopolitan, but I don't know if S.A. will get there any time soon. I'd love to be wrong though. Even if they do the typical 'San Antonio look' downtown, I'll let it slide if they make it more urban and lively.

Last edited by UrbanTrance; Sep 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 6:23 AM

Hey at least an actual northwest skyline already exists

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:45 AM

Quote:
There's nothing particularly urban, hip or vibrant about a bunch of glass skyscrapers along a freeway (see Houston). And "cosmopolitan" isn't a term I would use to describe buildings. The best neighborhoods in New York, San Fran, and even Dallas and Houston are all dense, low-rise areas. I can't see that area of town (and I live very close) ever turning into anything interesting at street-level. There's nothing but apartment complexes and mid-rise office parks there, and adding more of the same won't do much for the area. Now on the other side of the interchange, along Fredericksburg Road and in my neighborhood of Dellview between I-10 and Vance Jackson there's a better potential for something cosmopolitan and/or hip, though high-rises are doubtful.

Flickr Blog Site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio