HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

gues its not being heated and the ground heaved? or someones jacked something up to fast to much?

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 11, 2020 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 1:18 AM

i would hope that an emergency plan could be put together to at least save the facade of this building as it is part of a very unique block. such a shame that as soon as that block starts getting some TLC this happens!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:08 AM
surely you agree with me

One of the rare buildings in the Exchange that’s more than just a warehouse. Full stone facade. Which is part of the problem. Also the best ghost sign in the area. Such a heartbreaking shame.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
One of the rare buildings in the Exchange that’s more than just a warehouse. Full stone facade. Which is part of the problem. Also the best ghost sign in the area. Such a heartbreaking shame.
so any word on what causes something like this?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so any word on what causes something like this?

The basement slab was cut and opened...

A freak flood compromised the footing which cracked, causing the North wall to drop and many of the wooden trusses to slip out of their slots..

Everything moved North...

It’s fate is very questionable unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

eek w a nightmare

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:23 PM

They should be able to brace it up.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:16 PM

Very sad. I still faintly hope the facade will be saved, but it's looking like a great loss.

Funny how after sitting semi-vacant for so many years, it was finally working to redevelop the building that (likely) killed it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:02 PM

That’s the problem. Sitting empty for a long time without being maintained. I’m sure we will be hearing soon that the St. Charles will need to be torn down through neglect. Te City is ineffective at policing these types of situations. People not really knowing what they are doing in older structures also contributes to these sudden structural issues.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:21 PM

^ There are probably a few buildings in that area whose fate has been more or less sealed... the St. Charles, several further north of the Orange Order hall along Princess...

It's tough, those buildings were considered nearly worthless from the 80s to not that long ago so it isn't surprising that people weren't spending money on upkeep. Even now their value is still relatively low, certainly low enough to make it hard to justify spending on all that deferred maintenance and in some cases neglect that has occurred for decades.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:50 PM

^ I agree. It seems to me that the major problem is that there isn't the market or the demand to make preserving, re-purposing and developing all of these old wonderful buildings make financial sense. I'm not really sure what the City can do about that other than continue (or improve) their efforts to drive up value and interest in the area.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

orange hall also has a purpose built spring loaded floor from what ive herd so makes dealing with it a bit more complicated i bet

but then that just leaves the odd fellows (3rd floor 72 princes amazing space used to be in a colab there in sound and music) hall if we loose the orange order building for unique halls in the area

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 14, 2020 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:35 PM

I guess i’m not as charitable toward deadbeat owners like Zaifman or out of town families that have been holding on to a property for years, neglecting it and waiting to reap millions on an imaginary sale. There are enough examples in the exchange and downtown where institutions and entrepreneurs have used willpower and imagination to make things happen. I also believe the City has been mostly all talk and no action. But, hey, if the general feeling is that nothing can be done, then nothing will.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
orange hall also has a purpose built spring loaded floor from what ive herd so makes dealing with it a bit more complicated i bet

but then that just leaves the odd fellows (3rd floor 72 princes amazing space used to be in a colab there in sound and music) hall if we loose the orange order building for unique halls in the area
So it sounds like a special situation that they either didn’t know about or didn’t properly address.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:29 PM
BANNED

yeah, it’s hard to believe anything these people say.. always begging for exceptions and handouts

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:38 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 7:04 PM
What could go wrong?

That project is slow to get under construction because there was some sort of MB Hydro issue on the site. Should start in early spring.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder if they left this or filled it in

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:27 AM

Anyone know if the Thomas Scott Memorial Hall ended up getting demolished this weekend? Or if it will be?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
Anyone know if the Thomas Scott Memorial Hall ended up getting demolished this weekend? Or if it will be?
City has demanded the facade be saved and stabilized or the owners will face a million dollar fine. There was no permit taken out for the work which created the catastrophic damages to the building.

Will be interesting to see how this story plays out...

Very unfortunate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan