HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:22 PM

Enjoy your time out West Armorand93. Everyone should have an opportunity to try something new. But try to really experience life away from Winnipeg and maybe stop getting so bent out of shape about crime in Winnipeg and posting these silly rants here. Why bother with the aggravation?
In the words of a well known 1980s hair metal band: girl, don't go away mad -- girl, just go away.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:09 PM
What could go wrong?

.....aaahhhh, the wise musings of Vince Neil.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:44 PM
Transit Nerd

Here we go again...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...otel-1.5424145

Quote:
A man is dead following a shooting at the Windsor Hotel early Sunday morning, Winnipeg police say.

Officers were called to the scene on Garry Street at 2:53 a.m., a Winnipeg Police Service officer told CBC News.

Three men were taken to hospital in critical condition. One of the men died in hospital, and the other two are recovering after being shot, the officer said.

The head of the police service's guns and gangs unit said discussions about what to do to control the behaviour at the hotel — like revoking the business's liquor licence or shutting it down completely — have been going on.

"[It's] most certainly a conversation we need to have," Waddell said in mid-December. "And [it] would be definitely a move in the right direction."
Too bad WPS and MB Justice haven't just seized the damn place & shut it down, with 'proceeds of crime' legislation... because honestly, having this much activity, death and everything under one roof, is getting kind of ridiculous. And its obvious the hotel keeps letting it happen, probably to pay their bills and boost their unofficial paycheques...

Maybe someone could tell Manny at the MLCC, to take the hint and revoke their licenses? That or WPS saying "enoughs enough" and just ending it permanently... i mean, after seizing enough arms and drugs there the past couple months alone, whats keeping them from just getting a warrant, clearing the place out & barricading the entry points? I'd imagine it would actually make that area SAFE... which would be nice, because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has to watch my back, walking ANYWHERE near that place, with the revolving-door bullshit that occurs there.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 1:23 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Here we go again...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...otel-1.5424145

Too bad WPS and MB Justice haven't just seized the damn place & shut it down, with 'proceeds of crime' legislation... because honestly, having this much activity, death and everything under one roof, is getting kind of ridiculous. And its obvious the hotel keeps letting it happen, probably to pay their bills and boost their unofficial paycheques...

Maybe someone could tell Manny at the MLCC, to take the hint and revoke their licenses? That or WPS saying "enoughs enough" and just ending it permanently... i mean, after seizing enough arms and drugs there the past couple months alone, whats keeping them from just getting a warrant, clearing the place out & barricading the entry points? I'd imagine it would actually make that area SAFE... which would be nice, because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has to watch my back, walking ANYWHERE near that place, with the revolving-door bullshit that occurs there.
That all happens to be rather legally sketchy. You can't just say proceeds of crime willy nilly. You would have to prove that in a criminal trial, where the bar is very high even just to press charges.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:50 PM

Again, this is not really on the LGCA. The WPS needs to step up and tell them to do something. It's not the LGCA's responsibility (nor should it be) to monitor gang activity and decide if shootings are alcohol related.

The WPS should have the power (or if they do, which they might) or exorcise it, to tell the LGCA to revoke.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:01 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Again, this is not really on the LGCA. The WPS needs to step up and tell them to do something. It's not the LGCA's responsibility (nor should it be) to monitor gang activity and decide if shootings are alcohol related.

The WPS should have the power (or if they do, which they might) or exorcise it, to tell the LGCA to revoke.
I'm curious though, why won't WPS just shut it down? Like, how hard is it, to take that APC a whole 60 SECOND drive down the street, get a warrant, clear the place and maybe prevent these things from happening? Are they really that lazy? Or is there something else afoot?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:06 PM
Ignore these four words.

Is that really the solution? To have another bulding in Downtown be boarded up? Just like the Regis?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Is that really the solution? To have another bulding in Downtown be boarded up? Just like the Regis?
They should just turn them into shelters and get rid of the liquor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:43 PM
What could go wrong?

The St Regis property will be torn down....likely this year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
They should just turn them into shelters and get rid of the liquor.
They're bedbug, cockroach and vermin infested. Just tear them down.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The St Regis property will be torn down....likely this year.
Anything planned for the site?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:09 PM

^^ Sure hope the St Regis gets torn down for more surface lot parking! /s

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:34 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post

Maybe we can convince Poulin to build a skyscraper shrine to killing vermin, in place of the Windshit Hotel?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I’m sure the homeless wouldn’t mind that much, lol. Besides it can be a work thing too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:53 PM

Frankie's Italian Kitchen at the Outlet Mall has opened.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I’m sure the homeless wouldn’t mind that much, lol. Besides it can be a work thing too.
They mind.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Frankie's Italian Kitchen at the Outlet Mall has opened.
locally owned by Joe Aielo (spelling) from radio. good for him, wish him success

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:21 PM

Just to add to Frankie's, I haven't been yet but this is more than an Olive Garden clone. They are definitely trying to bring somewhat authentic dishes to the menu and have some things on there other places won't touch for a variety of reasons.

For clarity though they are part of a group that has operated restaurants in other Canadian cities so there is some non-local influence there but it is awesome to see a local owner behind the place.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:24 PM

Osteria del Piolo in Charleswood closed already. Owner and chef were not getting along and so the owner decided to shut it down.

Also Carbone downtown was locked out and had the lease terminated this week. I had heard for over a year now the company was in jeopardy... apparently paying the lease on 5 Fast Fired locations before construction started wasn't a good idea.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:33 PM

Aiello.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan