HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 9:08 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
I had a conversation with one of the developers for Twickenham Square and he was impressed with how fast the city got in and is doing their part (the parking deck). I think it really shows how serious Battle and his team are about downtown development.
I definitely agree; I just hope the rest of the state realizes that the country's development pattern is changing. Luckily, it seems that Alabama has been ahead of the curve as far as new, dense development goes.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 11:45 AM

I am surprised at how rapidly this is coming along despite bad weather for construction. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 8:07 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Sculpture Trail

Today, 36 sculptures dot the community, including eight in Madison. All are part of the Spaces Sculpture Trail, a revolving sculpture installation. The newest version of the trail was officially launched today at a press conference at Lowe Mill Arts & Entertainment.

The trail was developed in 2010 to bring new pieces of art to the community on a two-year cycle. It began with 25 sculptures and has grown to the works now on view in nine locations: Alabama A & M University; Huntsville’s downtown square; the Huntsville Museum of Art; the Von Braun Center; Lowe Mill; the University of Alabama in Huntsville; and Madison’s Dublin Park, Madison’s Main Street, and Madison City Hall.

The trail also features cell phone and GPS tours, which can be found at spacessculpturetrail.org. A new SPACES brochure is available at each of the host sites and at the Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau, 500 Church St.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 3:14 AM

Article from AL.com "Huntsville plans to close the marble-paneled municipal annex beside City Hall as part of a broader effort to save money on building maintenance and utilities.

City Administrator Rex Reynolds said he expects the annex - which houses the city's zoning enforcement, Operation Green Team and geographic information systems offices -- to start being phased out within six months. The 37 people who work there will be transferred to other buildings, he said.

The office shuffling may not stop with the annex.

Reynolds confirmed a rumor that city officials recently took a "real serious" look at buying the BB&T Building across from Huntsville Museum of Art. The high-rise office tower at the corner of Church Street and Williams Avenue is big enough to consolidate City Hall and several other scattered government offices, but Reynolds said the city was "unable to secure a deal" for it.

Huntsville and Madison County leaders have also had preliminary talks about possibly teaming up on a joint city-county administrative office, he said.

Rex Reynolds
"As the mayor has said, it's just something that we need to begin to look at some options," Reynolds said this week. "We've got to look at the future and what it takes to house our city government offices. The public also needs to have a say-so in this."

Mayor Tommy Battle is determined to reduce the city's office space by 3 percent this year - both to save tax dollars and bring more departments together under one roof for the convenience of the public.

That effort will apparently begin with the annex. Opened in 1964, the 45,218-square-foot structure originally housed both Huntsville police and fire headquarters. There was a fire station on the backside of the building facing Church Street and a jail on the third floor. However, the annex became expendable following construction of the metro jail on Wheeler Avenue and a new downtown public safety complex on Clinton Avenue.

"Anytime we can shut an entire facility down like that, it's just a huge savings as far as maintenance and utilities," said Reynolds.

He said Battle wants the planning department to come up with options for how to re-use the property. One thought, said Reynolds, is razing the annex to create more green space across from the art museum and Big Spring International Park.

View full size
The municipal annex, like City Hall across the plaza, opened in 1964. (Steve Doyle | sdoyle@al.com)
City Hall, like the annex, opened in 1964 - the same year The Beatles first performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show." It has eight floors and 61,500 square feet of space, but the skinny layout leaves little room for growth. And while the building appears in good shape as its 50th birthday nears, three heavy marble facade panels slid off and fell to the ground several years ago.

The city spent $75,000 on a covered wooden entrance to protect people coming and going from City Hall. Permanently replacing the marble panels is an $8 million job, said Reynolds.

"We've kept an eye on the panels and caulked them," Jeff Easter, the city's general services director, said Thursday. Those that appeared most in danger of falling were replaced by plywood painted to look like marble, he said.

City Councilman Bill Kling said he's against Huntsville spending millions on a new City Hall when "cosmetic improvements" might solve the problems.

A sloped roof that blends in with the building would look nicer than the wooden entryway, he said, and wrought iron would be a nice upgrade from the current safety fencing. Kling noted that City Hall underwent a major renovation in 1988 that included adding an eighth floor.

"I'd rather have City Hall be a Chevrolet instead of an expensive Cadillac," Kling said Tuesday. "It would be a lot simpler just to beautify the existing building and address the safety issues.

"Let's focus our energies on road resurfacing and getting a new low-cost airline into Huntsville."

What do you guys think about tearing down the building? i think its a bad idea to leave it as green space. How about an apartment building or other use? Any thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Gross Domestic Product

Of the state's 11 major metro areas, all but three saw a decline in real GDP from 2010 to 2011. Only Auburn-Opelika, Huntsville, and Mobile grew
Alabama is still home to three of the nation's largest metro economies. With $53.5 billion in combined economic output in 2011 (nominal dollars), Birmingham-Hoover was the nation's 50th-largest economy. Huntsville was 98th, with $21.2 billion in output, and Mobile just barely missed being in the top 33 percent, with $16.4 billion in output.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:00 AM

$1.3 Billion, 4,000 Job Development @1-65/AL20 Interchange

The Decatur Daily is reporting that a developer has approached the City of Decatur to get financial incentives for a $1.3 Billion Retail Development located at the I-65/Highway 20 Interchange: http://timesdaily.com/stories/Billio...change-,203076

This is the same location as the proposed Sweetwater development which was to include a Bass Pro Shop. However, the article states that the developers of Sweetwater still have an option on that site. It is hard to see where there is another 536 acres available besides the SW corner of that interchange.

Since Bass Pro Shop has already expressed a desire to locate at that interchange, I would imagine that this developer will construct a large outlet center with Bass Pro as an anchor. It will be easy to get other outlet stores (e.g. Polo Ralph Lauren will be glad to leave Boaz) as the heavy volume of traffic on I-65, in addition to the 500,000+ residents of Madison, Morgan and Limestone counties will provide a strong market.

If plans are for a $1.3 Billion development, they are talking about a mega center (on the scale of Silver Sands in Destin, or Opry Mills in Nashville) with other large anchors like an Off Fifth/Saks Fifth Avenue, etc. At least one hotel, will probably be part of it. Also, a housing component will probably be included as the original Sweetwater development had proposed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what all will be included and when this information can become public. The Decatur City Council will discuss this tonight.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:08 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Gross Domestic Product

Of the state's 11 major metro areas, all but three saw a decline in real GDP from 2010 to 2011. Only Auburn-Opelika, Huntsville, and Mobile grew
Alabama is still home to three of the nation's largest metro economies. With $53.5 billion in combined economic output in 2011 (nominal dollars), Birmingham-Hoover was the nation's 50th-largest economy. Huntsville was 98th, with $21.2 billion in output, and Mobile just barely missed being in the top 33 percent, with $16.4 billion in output.
Thanks for posting! I'd be very interested to see Huntsville's growth over the last few decades, in GDP $.

Also, I wonder what Mobile's would be with Baldwin County included.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The Decatur Daily is reporting that a developer has approached the City of Decatur to get financial incentives for a $1.3 Billion Retail Development located at the I-65/Highway 20 Interchange: http://timesdaily.com/stories/Billio...change-,203076

This is the same location as the proposed Sweetwater development which was to include a Bass Pro Shop. However, the article states that the developers of Sweetwater still have an option on that site. It is hard to see where there is another 536 acres available besides the SW corner of that interchange.

Since Bass Pro Shop has already expressed a desire to locate at that interchange, I would imagine that this developer will construct a large outlet center with Bass Pro as an anchor. It will be easy to get other outlet stores (e.g. Polo Ralph Lauren will be glad to leave Boaz) as the heavy volume of traffic on I-65, in addition to the 500,000+ residents of Madison, Morgan and Limestone counties will provide a strong market.

If plans are for a $1.3 Billion development, they are talking about a mega center (on the scale of Silver Sands in Destin, or Opry Mills in Nashville) with other large anchors like an Off Fifth/Saks Fifth Avenue, etc. At least one hotel, will probably be part of it. Also, a housing component will probably be included as the original Sweetwater development had proposed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what all will be included and when this information can become public. The Decatur City Council will discuss this tonight.
I find it interesting that as soon as Don Kyle gets back at Mayor, development talk on that parcel heats up. IMO, the change in administrations before the economy tanked was at least one of many reasons that Sweetwater never came through.

I'll poke around and report any findings in the Decatur thread.

NOTE: Just an after-thought, if this development were to come to fruition (in entirety), it could potentially push Morgan into the HSV MSA (as many of the workers at the development would likely come from Morgan/Lawrence Cos.); potentially bringing Lawrence Co. with it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:36 AM

I had heard, from a pretty reliable source with the city, that Decatur simply couldn't afford the deal Sweetwater wanted. They went as far as trying to get Huntsville to help pay for part of the deal. Hopefully, if it is a new developer, they are more reasonable.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:47 AM

Quote:

UPDATE: WAFF-TV is reporting that the Decatur City Council has passed a unanimous resolution "in support of development in the Highway 20 Corridor." The article goes on to say that the developer wants to build 1,350,000 sq. feet of retail and that this will be a catalyst for further development of the area. Keep in mind that 535 acres is a lot of land! As a comparison, Madison Square Mall has almost 1 million sq. ft. on about 100 acres.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: WAFF-TV is reporting that the Decatur City Council has passed a unanimous resolution "in support of development in the Highway 20 Corridor." The article goes on to say that the developer wants to build 1,350,000 sq. feet of retail and that this will be a catalyst for further development of the area. Keep in mind that 535 acres is a lot of land! As a comparison, Madison Square Mall has almost 1 million sq. ft. on about 100 acres.
I just hope it isn't an outlet mall... and every other run of the mill development.

Something different and great could be done there. But I doubt that will happen.

Which gets me thinking, I wonder if an arena will be part of the deal. I remember some years ago of that possibility.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
I just hope it isn't an outlet mall... and every other run of the mill development.

Something different and great could be done there. But I doubt that will happen.

Which gets me thinking, I wonder if an arena will be part of the deal. I remember some years ago of that possibility.
Family Dollar amusement park and world headquarters. They will team up with Mattress King and Subway.

I wonder if this is the project Belks blackmailed Huntsville on (moving from Madison Square to Bridge Street). They did mention they we're looking at Decatur as a possible relocation.
Hey Belks it's not too late, just fill up the lake if you do jump.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Family Dollar amusement park and world headquarters. They will team up with Mattress King and Subway.
It would not surprise me.

Quote:
I wonder if this is the project Belks blackmailed Huntsville on (moving from Madison Square to Bridge Street). They did mention they we're looking at Decatur as a possible relocation.
Nah, HSV wouldn't want that to get away.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Well hopefully they'll upgrade the portion of Highway 20 from I-65 to US 31 into an extension of I-565 and not have a bunch of traffic signals instead for cars coming down at 70+ mph ready to slam on the brakes.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Forget it....

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Feb 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Well hopefully they'll upgrade the portion of Highway 20 from I-65 to US 31 into an extension of I-565 and not have a bunch of traffic signals instead for cars coming down at 70+ mph ready to slam on the brakes.
This is ALDONT. Won't happen.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
This is ALDONT. Won't happen.
You're forgetting, this is Decatur, not Huntsville. When Decatur needs some kind of road improvement, it usually happens. Plus, Decatur will probably be paying for it anyway.

EDIT: Kinda makes their apathy about Huntsville even more sad..

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Feb 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
You're forgetting, this is Decatur, not Huntsville. When Decatur needs some kind of road improvement, it usually happens. Plus, Decatur will probably be paying for it anyway.

EDIT: Kinda makes their apathy about Huntsville even more sad..
Didn't realize that. And yes, it is sad.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:29 AM

Quote:

You two guys are being very negative about a project which claims to be worth more than $1 billion and will be located in a rural, undeveloped area at the present time. My question is what do you reasonably expect could be built there which a bank would be willing to finance?

1. Most retail will not make it there because retailers want rooftops nearby and there aren't any for miles - so that eliminates a Wal-Mart Super Center and many other retailers. In fact many big box chains will be reluctant to locate with so little population nearby.
2. Office development is very doubtful. Very rarely will you see something like a Cummings Research Park built in a cotton field with nothing within a 5 mile radius.
3. High density residential is unlikely as well, as there are no grocery stores or any other retail for miles - The County Line Rd. Exit is probably a good 5 miles away and then you've got another 3 miles just to get to the Publix. Most retail in Decatur is on the south and SW side of town which is also a hike.

Therefore, a developer has to look at what strenghts the 534 acres has and that is it has high visibility on a major interstate highway and it is located at the center of the North Alabama population with easy interstate access to 500,000 to 600,000 people and the many travelers along I-65. This outlet mall will have the distinct advantage of being the only one directly on I-65. Opry Mills in Nashville is several miles east of I-65 (on Briley Pkwy) and The Shops at Grand River is probbaly almost 15 miles east of I-65 in Birmingham.

People will drive long distances for a Bass Pro Shop and to get discounts at fsahion outlets - there is plenty of evidence for that. The North Georgia Premium Outlets in Dawsonville, GA is a case study in how an outlet center can be located in a rural location and serve as a catalyst for a boom in periferal development, too.

Also, to spend over a billion, there will be considerably more than the 1.3 million sq. ft. outlet center which will take up probably around 100 acres - There will still be another 434 acres to be developed which will probably include hotels, restaurants, apartments, and single family homes.

The most likely retailers to locate here will include: Bass Pro Shop, and the following factory outlet stores: Polo (good bye Boaz), Coach, Nordstrom Rack (they considered putting in a full scale Nordstrom at Bridge Street if the City of Huntsville had provided $12 million), Off Fifth/Saks Fifth Avenue, Nautica, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Brooks Brothers.

Cities all over the country would jump at the chance to have a developer propose such a development. I am surprised at the negative comments expressed here about this proposed development.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:52 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:

Cities all over the country would jump at the chance to have a developer propose such a development. I am surprised at the negative comments expressed here about this proposed development.
We're not trying to be negative, we're just use to how big developments end up. Given, this area has been looked at many many times in the past, and if the economy hadn't tanked, for all we know the area could already be developed and we'd be celebrating the openings by now. I personally hope that something happens, and that it IS something different and worth driving from the other side of Madison County to visit and shop at. Until then, I'm not going to get my hopes up when so many other developments have failed....

Again, not a pessimist, just a realist.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast