HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Regarding the addiction/homelessness issue, and it's impact on the economic and social fabric here...I have absolutely NO stats to back this up, so this is only a theory. My guess is that proportionately (per capita) we have a bigger problem here than in Vancouver or Toronto...or Edmonton or Calgary. Thus the extraordinary increase in crime here vs the national average. If anyone has stats to support or disprove, please provide.
No man, no

Why post something with a strong opinionated point, about a topic you not only have no stats about, but also state that you have no stats or facts or knowledge about??

I know it’s the internet but still

Why don’t you start with some basic googling first before requesting others disprove something you have simply opined out of thin air

I’m sorry guys for coming across as a crumpet about that post - it irritates me how the self loathing on winnipeg is often misguided. Are the crime and addiction issues valid? Absolutely. Are they so severely bad that winnipeg is some arm pit stain black hole that sucks and festers and outdoes every other city in Canada because, y’know, “winnipeg” and “I have no evidence whatsoever and I have no facts but: opinion”

Winnipeg doesn’t even come close to Vancouver in terms of those issues. Heck is doesn’t come close “per capita” to places much smaller than it.

/rant crawling back into lurking mode now. Also sorry sheepish for taking your post hard I apologize if out of line or offensive - but seriously man, constructive criticism; do some googling first

Last edited by roccerfeller; Aug 1, 2023 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Well, they haven't even cleaned up the St. Boniface Cathedral and it burned down in 1968!
Supporting Ukraine is one thing, but dishonouring the Canadian flag by putting symbols on it from a foreign country is quite another.

When you go as far as to tarnish the Canadian flag, it becomes an issue of blatant disrespect for our country.

Please don't desecrate the Canadian flag to own Putin. Use two flags side by side if you want to indicate solidarity.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 12:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Supporting Ukraine is one thing, but dishonouring the Canadian flag by putting symbols on it from a foreign country is quite another.

When you go as far as to tarnish the Canadian flag, it becomes an issue of blatant disrespect for our country.

Please don't desecrate the Canadian flag to own Putin. Use two flags side by side if you want to indicate solidarity.
Okay there Vladimir!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:18 PM

Hey Roccerfeller
I don't take your comments personally, but note I put it out as theory. I asked if anyone had stats to support or disprove. I don't recall seeing you present any stats to support your argument. So here are some stats from 2021...and they aren't good.
https://canadacrimeindex.com/crime-severity-index
Among the major cities, Winnipeg is pretty much at the bottom, and I would bet that the numbers are worse in 2022.
I am the farthest thing from a self loathing Winnipeger, which is why I am so concerned, and want to see coordinated action. But to pretend there are not some serious systemic issues that are unique to this region, and will only continue to get worse if not addressed, is actually contributing to the problem, and will suppress economic and social development.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:26 PM

I took a different route to work than usual, and noticed piles being driven on Notre Dame, close to Beverley. Anyone know what that is?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There has been some hotel space downtown lost to closure/demolition (mostly low-end) and conversion to residential (former Sheraton) but I'd guess that it has had a relatively low impact.
Wasn't the former Sheraton first an apartment building, that was then converted to a hotel, before being converted back to an apartment building?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I took a different route to work than usual, and noticed piles being driven on Notre Dame, close to Beverley. Anyone know what that is?
It is for a 3 storey, 12 unit short term housing complex for people from the north visiting HSC. Being done by the MMF.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Wasn't the former Sheraton first an apartment building, that was then converted to a hotel, before being converted back to an apartment building?
Yes, it first became a Sheraton back in the mid-80s.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:16 PM

I think it was originally the House of York...or some such name.
Had a great deli restaurant on main floor looking out on York.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:18 PM

^ Yeah, it's unfortunate that they covered up all the windows when they did the apartment conversion. Now it's just a blank wall facing the corner of Smith and York. I recall coldrsx pointed out the absurdity of it on a past visit to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:43 PM

Even as the Sheraton, the main floor had Windows Lounge, which often featured live music.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:53 PM

The building that used to house Discreet Boutique, kitty corner of the vacant Masonic Temple, is that totally empty?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post

I don't see one thing wrong with that flag. You do understand that Manitoba has one of the highest Ukrainian populations outside Ukraine before this war started. The North end was basically built by Ukrainians.

However since you are on a flag rant. Take a drive to the dump and get them protesters who have had the Canadian Flag hung upside down now for about 2 months. They also have the Manitoba flag upside down. That IS disrespectful to me and flags should never be used like that. Imagine if people started flying that band's flag upside down.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Found the photo (in a collage). You can see the wreckage of the Scott block fire on the right hand portion of the photo. It was struck by lightning and burned in June 1905, so presumably this photo is shortly after. Peer down Graham on the left and the hulk at the end of the street is the Manitoba Hotel that burned 6 years prior to this photo being taken!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9513047@N05/52920223468/
I was just curious what the road itself in that hot is made or. It looks like a sparsely placed cobblestone with very loose filler between, almost like fine gravel or dirt. Does anyone know?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 4:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
The building that used to house Discreet Boutique, kitty corner of the vacant Masonic Temple, is that totally empty?
has been for 10+ years

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:37 PM

Thanks I figured, thought always possible it was being used as artspace or office behind papered glass

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:04 PM

HSC to buy Manitoba Clinic

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:23 PM

^Along with a new tower announced as part of a substantial investment. Seems impressive but I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of HSC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uild-1.6925393

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:34 PM

Interesting, there is a perfect empty lot between Manitoba Clinic and the Rehab center that would allow this to get started earlier.

Seems like the location will be on top of the existing entrance to HSC and parking garage below.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
HSC to buy Manitoba Clinic
HSC Foundation not HSC. I believe they are a arms length of the Gov.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan