HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:34 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It's ridiculous that they charge for the parking as anyone going to Grouse will be paying them money, if nothing else, then for the downhill ride (which is $10).

So I did the Grind today. Have to say that they are not kidding it being strenuous exercise! I can easily see people that are not in shape having a heart attach there as I was almost dead once up.

My time was a very average 1:33 as I had my camera with me and had to take lots of breaks. I cannot say that I feel any need to return to the Grind anytime soon after having now done it. It is pure exercise and not a hike.
Many many better hikes around the area. Check out some of those listed on VancouverTrails or ClubTread. I would bet that there are 200 different hikes within a 90 minute drive from downtown.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 7:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Diez Vistas trail on the west side of Buntzen Lake is great.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:58 PM
life in the present

Quote:
I am thinking of doing the Grouse Grind tomorrow for the very first time. I remember them starting to charge for parking. Is that the case also during summer time?

The downhill gondola seems to be $10.
Say hi if you see me!! I'll be doing it in about an hour, I usually go every Wed or Thurs, should be great today, a little cloud is perfect!!! I have a secret for free parking but won't advertise it here Good luck!!

If you go often buy a Local's Pass, $129, I get one every year, you can use it for free Skyride trips in either direction, unlimited for a year!

EDIT : whoops realize you did it yesterday.. congrats!!

Last edited by connect2source; Jun 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Many many better hikes around the area. Check out some of those listed on VancouverTrails or ClubTread. I would bet that there are 200 different hikes within a 90 minute drive from downtown.
Oh, I am an avid hiker and you must have missed several photo compilations I have been posting in the Photos section. I have been around few dozen great trails in Metro Vancouver and look forward to doing more this summer.

Yesterday's Grind was just my first. I have tried to avoid it during weekends and finally this week I had the possibility of doing it for the very first time. Now that I have done it, I think I will stick to the real hikes.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 7:33 PM
life in the present

Just finished the Grind an hour ago! ...and well done Klazu!! weekdays, especially in the morning are typically quiet all summer long.

I'm also an avid hiker but do not do the Grind for the 'hiking' experience, I do it for the killer workout, amazing cardio and the endorphins, period. It helps me focus, relieves stress, keeps me in great shape!! To compare it to a hike is unfair, people don't time themselves and try and beat their previous times on a hike but the Grind fulfills the need for an awesome workout in a very short time incredibly well and it's an incredibly unique asset in Vancouver. Don't know too many other cities where you can climb 3000 ft with 15 minutes of downtown.

Last edited by connect2source; Jun 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Is there anyone in Vancouver who rides the Canada Line past Marpole and is able to furnish updates on ongoing developments there (especially the North West Condo project)?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:16 PM

I drove by the area last weekend. Nothing going on with the NW project yet.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:19 PM

I think klazu may have missed something lol. Excavation has started!! (about 6 weeks ago)

https://instagram.com/p/2MO0Dhve24/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 11:01 PM

I guess it wasn't visible from car. Good news.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:11 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Oh, I am an avid hiker and you must have missed several photo compilations I have been posting in the Photos section. I have been around few dozen great trails in Metro Vancouver and look forward to doing more this summer.

Yesterday's Grind was just my first. I have tried to avoid it during weekends and finally this week I had the possibility of doing it for the very first time. Now that I have done it, I think I will stick to the real hikes.
Check out the Chief on a weekday evening in the summer. The sun sets at >9pm, but if you leave the office downtown right at 5pm, you have more than enough time to get there, get up, take in the view, and get down. Going on a weekend is as busy as the grind.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the update osirisboy and the timely reply Klazu....much appreciated. I hope the Marpole area projects (e.g. Marine Gateway and North West etc.) take full advantage of the good/dry weather over the next few weeks to advance work significantly before the rains set in again!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 4:24 PM

I am thinking of going to see tonight's soccer match at BC Place. I have never been in there and was wondering if they allow professional DSLR's to be taken in with a reasonable (70-200mm) telezoom lens?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

Two times I've tried to enter BC Place with a shitty canon Point and shoot and was denied, third time I faked a foreign accent and said I'm press

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 6:25 PM

Were those all for a sport event or for a concert? I can somehow understand camera ban for a concert, but for sports there is no point.

Did they force you to store the camera with them or did you have to take it home?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:40 AM

I went to the game tonight. 28,717 spectators made BC Place feel quite empty. Good game though and was happy about the experience. I only took my cell phone me and it seemed like professional DSLR's would have been a no-go. Some people had basic DSLR's which seemed to be allowed. Gonna try that next time.

I wonder why they don't seriously discount last minute tickets to fill up the stadium?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:

Were those all for a sport event or for a concert? I can somehow understand camera ban for a concert, but for sports there is no point.

Did they force you to store the camera with them or did you have to take it home?
Yup concerts.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:26 PM

Does anyone know what happens if you don't pay (one) parking ticket in Vancouver? I used pay by phone and I refuse on principle to pay becase I was three minutes a late (2 minutes outside of the grace period).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 6:00 PM

Is it a private or city?

If its private you can always grab new plates for $30 at ICBC, no way for companies like Diamond to hunt you down that way.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
I went to the game tonight. 28,717 spectators made BC Place feel quite empty. Good game though and was happy about the experience. I only took my cell phone me and it seemed like professional DSLR's would have been a no-go. Some people had basic DSLR's which seemed to be allowed. Gonna try that next time.

I wonder why they don't seriously discount last minute tickets to fill up the stadium?
Yeah they should've huh, but then again the last minute crowd may create a mess just before the game.

Oh, on another note, I heard from my co-worker who was also at the game that stadium officials removed the drums and other cheer items of a group of Japanese fans for "being too loud" because some soccer moms complained. Come on, this is an international soccer tournament, and I thought loud cheers are part of the deal? FYI, those Japanese spectators were respectful in other ways, so we thought this decision to confiscate items was rather an embarrassment. This decision must be from the stadium rather than FIFA, as they should be used to way louder and boisterous cheers from fans in other tournaments.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Is it a private or city?

If its private you can always grab new plates for $30 at ICBC, no way for companies like Diamond to hunt you down that way.
City meter. I meant to say it was 3 minutes late, and the grace period is just 2 minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion