HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If the city is going to build a rink downtown, it'd make the most sense to put it at U of W – would serve the community around it really well. There's potential U of W would start a hockey program if they had a rink. More and more NHL players are coming through college every year, it's only a matter of time before that trickles up here. I'm sure there's lots of players who'd like to get an education while they play.
I always expected U of W to run a hockey program out of MTS Centre... I'm pretty sure that didn't come from nowhere, it was probably mentioned as a selling point for the "True North Centre" back in the day.

But yes, these days realistically it would probably only happen at an on-campus facility controlled by the U of W, not in a NHL building. That would be a pretty nice campus amenity, if they had a rink like the big one at the Iceplex.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:55 PM

^Maybe about 15 years ago there was some sort of UW hockey program, but that's long gone. In fact, UW recently cut some of its sports teams to make up for budget shortfalls due to the provincial government clawing back their operating grant. In 2017, the UW men's baseball team, and men's and women's wrestling programs were cut. The men's soccer program was put on hold, but it hasn't yet returned. I doubt there will be any UW hockey program any time soon.

Personally, I would think something close to the Central Park area would be good. There's a large residential population that's currently underserved. Perhaps one of the many parking lots on Notre Dame could be home to a new hockey arena or community club? haha.

Last edited by Authentic_City; Oct 10, 2019 at 11:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If we actually want people to live downtown and have a community connection, we need to provide services. Schools, gyms, community centre. All those things.
Other than the indoor ice rinks, all the rest is available downtown or just outside of downtown, no further from downtown residents than such facilities would be from anyone living anywhere in the city really. People living in Wolseley or some areas of River Heights would be just as far from an indoor rink or high school as people living downtown. There are huge stretches of this city, areas with way bigger populations than downtown, that don't have indoor rinks.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Edmonton's new downtown NHL arena has a really nice community rink attached to it...its a practice rink but most of the time is booked for amateur use....a cool idea.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Edmonton's new downtown NHL arena has a really nice community rink attached to it...its a practice rink but most of the time is booked for amateur use....a cool idea.
I like it... I mean, as far as cynical ploys by billionaires go to persuade the locals that they're funding a "community facility" as opposed to a profit-making machine, that one wasn't bad. It's a nice looking rink and I'm sure it's a great community amenity.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:13 PM

New development on Water Front North

I’m very optimistic for both of these projects on Water Front North. Adding these rental units in the area allows for a new cohort of people to embrace a truly urban lifestyle. The developments both have limited parking bringing down construction costs and encourage use of public transit and ride share.

It will be interesting to see if wood construction will be utilized here in a similar way as the Pumphouse. I do have reservations about another “black” building on Waterfront. Remember there was a time everyone thought “Dusty Rose” was the colour of the day. Thankfully it was only used on toilets and sinks and not facades of buildings.

Now let’s find a way to kick start the Alexander Docks!

Last edited by Labroco; Oct 11, 2019 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:28 PM

What ever happened with the docks. There was some time of design completion or study done, I thought. Was that just for fun or am I thinking of something else?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:10 PM

With all the development in the area I would imagine there will be mounting pressure to do something with the docks. Although who knows, maybe the City will just demolish the whole thing and leave it at that?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
With all the development in the area I would imagine there will be mounting pressure to do something with the docks. Although who knows, maybe the City will just demolish the whole thing and leave it at that?
I also don't understand why the city hasn't put a footbridge between Waterfront and Park Whittier or at least at Tache. Seems like the most logical place in the city to put one. Gives Downtown / Exchange access to a park. Gives Saint-B access point to the Exchange. Been saying this for a decade.

I saw that Point Douglas proposal that had a bridge but I think Exchange end of Waterfront makes too much sense.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:23 PM

Uhm, Le Promenade (Penis Bridge) is a pedestrian bridge from St. B to the Forks/Waterfront.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:31 PM

Adding pedestrian crossings of the river is a good idea IMO. Sure Espalnade Riel is there. But it does nothing for you if you're at the north end of waterfront. Ideally there'd be a crossing somewhere in that area. Even from the Higgins are over to Whittier.

But there are likely other ped bridge locations higher on the priority list. Such as the crossing from Assiniboine to Osborne.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Uhm, Le Promenade (Penis Bridge) is a pedestrian bridge from St. B to the Forks/Waterfront.
That's quite a walk from Waterfront to Whittier using Esplanade Riel (show some respect)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
On a side note, if the upright support on the Tache Promenade is actually someone's idea of what a penis looks like, they should seriously go see their urologist ASAP.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 6:55 PM

Tough to justify another Red River ped crossing (much wider and more expensive to build compared to the Assiniboine) when there is a ped bridge such a short distance away.

Although mind you, there is an Assiniboine ped bridge planned even though it's spitting distance from the Osborne Bridge...so maybe it could happen.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:30 PM

For connectivity sake, it would be beneficial to have a river crossing somewhere from Whittier park in Point Douglas. What location exactly would need to be determined.

Same thing for crossing the Red in north Kildonan. There's nothing between Chief and redwood. Same thing down in Osborne, U of M, St. James, etc. Winnipeg neighbourhoods are quite disconnected from each other due to the rivers. You can see the people just over there, but would need to walk hours to get there.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's $333k per unit for construction. What's the selling price? Must be $400k plus per unit.
Well, I'd say it's not uncommon, maybe not quite the norm. If it were condos they'd be going high 3's, but they're apts I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post
Looks decent. But why are developers here obsessed with corrugated metal sheets?
$$$$$ but easy to spin it as "neat modern/industrial look".

Not trying to sound cynical, I kinda like the look. Fits with the area and isn't brick, which looks nice but is $$$$$$$

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:09 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Tough to justify another Red River ped crossing (much wider and more expensive to build compared to the Assiniboine) when there is a ped bridge such a short distance away.

Although mind you, there is an Assiniboine ped bridge planned even though it's spitting distance from the Osborne Bridge...so maybe it could happen.
On paper I 100% agree with you, however mid winter if youre wanting to get over to the ice wall in Whittier park from the main population centre on Waterfront, thats a bit of a hike (not impossible at all but people are lazy when its cold).

Allowing the population on Waterfront (and the exchange in general) to have easier access to a park would solve the endless "green space" argument we seem to have...

That said, you are right that a ped bridge over the Red would be a very costly thing... It would be a pretty big financial commitment by the city.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:32 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
On paper I 100% agree with you, however mid winter if youre wanting to get over to the ice wall in Whittier park from the main population centre on Waterfront, thats a bit of a hike (not impossible at all but people are lazy when its cold).

Allowing the population on Waterfront (and the exchange in general) to have easier access to a park would solve the endless "green space" argument we seem to have...

That said, you are right that a ped bridge over the Red would be a very costly thing... It would be a pretty big financial commitment by the city.
I suppose there is no prospect of seasonal pontoon bridges as in the days of yore.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 11:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^Maybe about 15 years ago there was some sort of UW hockey program, but that's long gone. In fact, UW recently cut some of its sports teams to make up for budget shortfalls due to the provincial government clawing back their operating grant. In 2017, the UW men's baseball team, and men's and women's wrestling programs were cut. The men's soccer program was put on hold, but it hasn't yet returned. I doubt there will be any UW hockey program any time soon.
They need someplace to find funding, to build Transgender Washrooms all over campus.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

There was talk awhile about a ped bridge connecting St Vital and the UofM. I could get on board with that (even though I live in St James).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan