HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It was a two week window, dramatic changes were not going to happen. There not going to just scrap their plans and re-design this development.
What was the rush?

Why did they have to get it in by the next HDRC? Why not wait a month? Or two months?

Or however long it takes to get this right?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
What was the rush?

Why did they have to get it in by the next HDRC? Why not wait a month? Or two months?

Time is money.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:24 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Time is money.
If Gensler is the developer, I'm sure they want to get this knocked out very fast. They always get their stuff built up quickly..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
If Gensler is the developer, I'm sure they want to get this knocked out very fast. They always get their stuff built up quickly..
Less time spent on design means a quicker finished project. That seems to be their motto.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:16 PM

A lot of the people on the forum like the development design.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
A lot of the people on the forum like the development design.
That is a true statement.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:40 PM

So much better than the original. It's still a pretty blah office building but still handsome and will add nicely to that area. I'm glad they added extra interest in the glass box volume, with the vertical elements and breaking up of the windows. I can see the vertical pieces lit at night to create something quite beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 9:30 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
What was the rush?

Why would the developers tak months off to redesign their development just because you don’t like it? Think about that for a second.

They’ve invested millions into this already and have a timeline for it. They needed to get the design approved by HDRC so they did as they were asked and resubmitted. There’s a very long process they have to follow and this is one of the steps.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:50 AM
JACKinBeantown

I realize that there are several people here who like the design of this building. I respect your opinion 100%. I'll say what I said before in different words: the re-design of this building makes it something that will be a strong addition to the neighborhood. I would prefer it have a more interesting design, but all the elements are there to make it something nice to be in and walk by: ground level retail and street interaction, a nice interior I'm sure, and probably some high quality glass. That's all good. But wouldn't it be nice to have something to somehow complement Frost on an equal level?

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:05 AM

Considering it's literally up against a freeway intersection maybe the blunt instrument approach is more fitting compared to something refined and elegant. More like a buffer building. Yeah, I like that.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:15 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8TVTXN View Post
The modifications to the building are subtle, but do add dimension to the structure. The vertical enhancements on the upper floors of the building are reminiscent of the new Silverline center in Tysons Corner, VA. This building is beautifully lit at night and adds interest to the suburban landscape.
http://www.silverlinecenter.com/gallery.html
I love that. Those lights remind me of meteors. I know that new technology can sometimes lend to redundant designs from city to city, but damn, I would love to see that on at least a couple of buildings in Austin. Besides hiding the ugh of parking podiums, those lights could really accent the design of a building on say, setbacks where you wanted a vertical emphasis at night.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:33 AM
James

HDRC Greenlights Major Hotel-Office Tower on Lower Broadway

Quote:
After months of tinkering with the design and incorporating feedback from officials, a local development firm on Wednesday received preliminary approval from the City’s Historic and Design Review Commission to start work on a 20-story building that will feature floors of retail, office, and hotel space.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:46 AM

I just saw the post and this is great news. All these projects has got me excited about watching the changing skyline.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:24 AM

This is great news

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 1:09 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Here is an overview of where 1603 Broadway is in relation to all the property Grey Street Partners owns on Broadway as well as off Broadway in the Government Hill district.

Grey Street has big plans for the Government Hill land.

The yellow outline is the Silver Venture lower Broadway office development that will soon be the new HQ for Credit Human.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 6:44 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I feel as though this is the beginnings of a second skyline here, no? Obviously not the same size as say the Galleria in Houston, but akin to that. Pretty cool.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I feel as though this is the beginnings of a second skyline here, no? Obviously not the same size as say the Galleria in Houston, but akin to that. Pretty cool.
I don’t see why this would count as a second, different skyline. This is basically still in the urban core. The Galleria is almost 10 miles from downtown Houston; this area is less than a mile from the Alamo.

This should be part of the basic urban core skyline. Especially if they start building up on Broadway, I would think that whatever they do here will be an extension of the downtown skyline, not separate from it.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 1:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I do hope that GreyStreet saves some of the historic architecture along Broadway across the street from this particular tower or at the very least integrates and rehabs the current facades.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Probably more like Midtown Phoenix

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 4:12 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Or West Campus in Austin, but with the private sector being a larger driver. After all, SAC, Trinity, and Incarnate Word were early drivers of some of the denser multi-family residential outside of the Pearl proper (but within the vicinity).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio