HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 6:50 PM

I am curious...as the project is underway at the Lydia site on Broadway and it appears Baydo may be getting ready for their project on Main and Broadway....is Broadway zoned for a hotel?

I think a boutique type hotel on Broadway would be killer!!! Maybe Capital Pointe could do a combo hotel/condo development on the lot by Broadway Roastery? First 7 floors hotel and another 10 floors (or more) of condos!

We have stayed at the Mettera Hotel on Whyte Ave in Edmonton and love the vibe of the hotel and its great location....Broadway would be perfect for a hotel like this.

http://www.metterra.com/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am curious...as the project is underway at the Lydia site on Broadway and it appears Baydo may be getting ready for their project on Main and Broadway....is Broadway zoned for a hotel?

I think a boutique type hotel on Broadway would be killer!!! Maybe Capital Pointe could do a combo hotel/condo development on the lot by Broadway Roastery? First 7 floors hotel and another 10 floors (or more) of condos!

We have stayed at the Mettera Hotel on Whyte Ave in Edmonton and love the vibe of the hotel and its great location....Broadway would be perfect for a hotel like this.

http://www.metterra.com/
i just got transferred to the extra foods on broadway last week, there is a yellow fence around the broadway/main street lot. im under the impression its heading to council for the last time this month. maybe someone else has more details ?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 8:59 AM

I’ve also stayed at the Meterra on Whyte Ave and that’s exactly what Broadway needs for some more foot traffic!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:11 PM

The more I think about it, the more I am really surprised that there has not been a hotel proposed for Broadway...even if it is currently not zoned for one(?). I have no doubt it would have a high occupancy rate and as Roryn1 states, would add a lot to the foot traffic and economy of Broadway.

Who can we encourage??

Last edited by prairieguy; Sep 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
the more i think about it, the more i am really surprised that there has not been a hotel proposed for broadway...even if it is currently not zoned for one(?). I have not doubt it would have a high occupancy rate and as roryn1 states, would add a lot to the foot traffic and economy of broadway.

Who can we encourage??
bid?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:16 PM
Registered Geek

Cumberland Mall

I drove by the old temporary Yip Hong/Dry Cleaner/Nail Salon (old Blockbuster Video) and there is fencing around the complex and an excavator inside it looking like it's demolition time. I'd be interested if the building is going to be replaced or simply flattened and turned into parking.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 8:07 PM

Yes....already flattened!!! That took no time at all!

We need a private liquour store there! I was hoping that the vacant/adjacent space to the new Save on Foods in the Cumberland Mall was going to be a liquour store. There is really nothing for those of us in Varsity View/Nutana (closest is to drive to Sobey's Stonebridge or Preston Crossing Sobey's liquour stores).

Not a big boozer, but would be nice to have closer option!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:

We need a private liquour store there! I was hoping that the vacant/adjacent space to the new Save on Foods in the Cumberland Mall was going to be a liquour store. There is really nothing for those of us in Varsity View/Nutana (closest is to drive to Sobey's Stonebridge or Preston Crossing Sobey's liquour stores).

Ive been telling our head office once this (extra foods) place closes--then is rebuilt into a new format, that the basement that holds the old salon, needs to be developed into a liqour store under loblaws. Maybe itll happen, but doubt it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:06 PM

North Prairie proposes 12-storey condo for vacant lot at College and Clarence
The Varsity View Community Association, however, has an overall 'negative' view of the roughly $60-million proposal, according to its president.

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Updated: September 19, 2018

Quote:
A long-vacant lot at the top of the University Bridge could soon be the site of a new 12-story condominium tower, provided the developer’s proposal and request to amend the community plan and rezone the land is approved.

North Prairie Developments Ltd.’s proposal, unveiled at a public consultation meeting last week, envisions a 171-unit building, complete with 232 parking stalls in four underground tiers, at the corner of College Drive and Clarence Avenue.

North Prairie Developments in Saskatoon has plans to build a 12-storey, 171-unit building at the corner of College Drive and Clarence Avenue. According to renderings and the company’s proposal, the building would include 232 parking stalls in a four-level underground parkade. It would also include 65 bike stalls and 94 additional bike/storage lockers. (Submitted photo) SASwp

In an interview on Tuesday, North Prairie CEO Andrew Williams said he hopes $230,000 worth of planning and analysis will help overcome the type of opposition that arose over a seven-storey condo development in Nutana last year.

The pre-planning work includes a geotechnical study, traffic and parking analyses, an examination of shadows cast by the proposed building and an attempt to align the roughly $60 million project with the city’s growth plan and proposed bus rapid transit corridors, Williams said.

“The last thing you want to do is bring something forward, and then it doesn’t work,” he said of the project, which would be one of the family-owned company’s largest multi-family developments, and certainly its most visible.

“You’ve got a lot of pressure from the workforce that’s probably going to be looking for housing in the area, but then you’re also trying to be respectful of the community’s wants and desires for a project there. I think we’ve checked a lot of the boxes,” he added.

Around 60 people attended the public hearing last week, which is understood to have generated a mixed response, with parking — already a worry in the neighbourhood abutting the University of Saskatchewan campus — one of the most prominent concerns.

North Prairie Developments in Saskatoon has plans to build a 12-storey, 171-unit building at the corner of College Drive and Clarence Avenue. According to renderings and the company’s proposal, the building would include 232 parking stalls in a four-level underground parkade. It would also include 65 bike stalls and 94 additional bike/storage lockers. (Submitted photo) SASwp

In an interview, Varsity View Community Association president Jon Naylor said while many local residents have yet to make up their minds, an association vote revealed that the “overall view of the community (toward the project) is negative.”

Naylor said association members have specific concerns, particularly around increased traffic flow and parking demand, as well as general fears about the potential problems of introducing an unplanned development into a planned community.

“We would like to see it zoned within the (local area) plan, which with the current plan is for three- and four-storey residential or multi-unit buildings,” Naylor said, adding that the local plan already includes a substantial growth in density in the neighbourhood.

Ward 6 Coun. Cynthia Block also acknowledged local worries about traffic flow, parking, and the possibility of riverbank slumping — and noted many in the neighbourhood are right to ask the developer and the city for more information.

[....]

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...e-and-clarence

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:48 PM

Development on that corner is needed, something of this scale yes, but this design is subpar for something that should be a landmark style building for the location and visibility along the river.

Here and at the top of the Broadway bridge are good examples of those locations.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:00 PM

I think developers will still build a project even if the nimbys are complaining about the parking/traffic flow increase. if i were a developer, that would be a minor minor issue to even look into. its 12 storeys, its just a few extra cars. These residents act like theres going to be blocks and blocks of backed up traffic.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
I think developers will still build a project even if the nimbys are complaining about the parking/traffic flow increase. if i were a developer, that would be a minor minor issue to even look into. its 12 storeys, its just a few extra cars. These residents act like theres going to be blocks and blocks of backed up traffic.
It’s not the developer it’s the citiy’s approval committee that needs to be convinced.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:46 PM

I'm curious about how many, if any, of the 232 stalls are designated for visitor parking. I'd think that a decent quantity of off-street visitor parking would go a long way to mitigating the fear of additional parking congestion in the area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:33 PM

Liquor Store Beside Save-On-Foods on 8th Street

Quote:

Hi Prairie Guy,
When I was there about two weeks ago, the doors of the outlet to the left of the Save-On-Foods did have the license/application posted stating that that space was going to be developed into a liquor store. Might be worth checking out again - I know that it was originally supposed to be a liquor store so unless something has changed recently, it just seems like they're taking their time with the development. Maybe an Urban Cellars? I know they're hiring for a Store Manager on Indeed right now.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:37 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
I can't believe this proposal is from NP, as it looks pretty good, comparatively. But to call it subpar in Saskatoon, on a noisy corner, while using concrete, stone and brick instead of wood, stucco and tin, is ridiculous. Do better with your own resources, Mate! I hope this goes through. (Remember the original plan for 5 corners?)
Haha ok champ

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:51 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabusinessstudent View Post
Hi Prairie Guy,
When I was there about two weeks ago, the doors of the outlet to the left of the Save-On-Foods did have the license/application posted stating that that space was going to be developed into a liquor store. Might be worth checking out again - I know that it was originally supposed to be a liquor store so unless something has changed recently, it just seems like they're taking their time with the development. Maybe an Urban Cellars? I know they're hiring for a Store Manager on Indeed right now.
That is great news...I will have to look for the posting next time I am there! I will be able to walk for my vino now!!! Hope they have a 'growler' station too!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
I can't believe this proposal is from NP, as it looks pretty good, comparatively. But to call it subpar in Saskatoon, on a noisy corner, while using concrete, stone and brick instead of wood, stucco and tin, is ridiculous. Do better with your own resources, Mate! I hope this goes through. (Remember the original plan for 5 corners?)
I agree, and of the few people that I've read feedback from about this proposal I'm a little surprised by the negativity... it's not in the public realm the way the Remai gallery or the Traffic bridge are, if you don't like it the style or the finishes then don't buy a unit in it. The only thing really open to public scrutiny is those factors that affect the zoning; usage, occupancy, footprint size and height. IMO there is nothing noteworthy about the location that demands any kind of landmark project, and if there is how come we weren't demanding to use public funds towards something there for the past few years?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I agree, and of the few people that I've read feedback from about this proposal I'm a little surprised by the negativity... it's not in the public realm the way the Remai gallery or the Traffic bridge are, if you don't like it the style or the finishes then don't buy a unit in it. The only thing really open to public scrutiny is those factors that affect the zoning; usage, occupancy, footprint size and height. IMO there is nothing noteworthy about the location that demands any kind of landmark project, and if there is how come we weren't demanding to use public funds towards something there for the past few years?
All cool, differing opinions on city planning/zoning/architecture. Just as I think the Traffic Bridge is not a landmark in the city. Have zero intention of buying there you are correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan