HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am looking forward to this.
Then I hope you are young because if you are not you will be dead before this happens.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:16 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
More people at the Forks hasn't translated into increased sales for any of the retailers.

The supposed 300K visitors to the CMHR which includes virtual visits hasn't translated into much if any increases in spending at the Forks, more stores have closed than have opened, in fact two restaurants at the Forks have closed since it's opening, pretty hard to ignore that.

A high density residential neighbourhood might be the saviour of the Forks which is good, don't exactly get the correlation to the CMHR for spurring this development. The development was eventually going to happen with or without the CMHR.
it doesn't include virtual visits.

the forks is upgrading its tenants as their sweet leases come to an end.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ I certainly hope not. Most of the developers are waiting for the green light to get building.
I have no information to support it, it's just my frustration with how slow things can move.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
it doesn't include virtual visits.

the forks is upgrading its tenants as their sweet leases come to an end.
There is no such thing as a sweet lease if you don’t have sales and no revenue coming in.

What’s going to happen is one govt. agency or another coming in and taking up space that can’t be rented out on the free market.

Last edited by rrskylar; Nov 20, 2018 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Then I hope you are young because if you are not you will be dead before this happens.
I don't know, hopefully sooner than later.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:51 PM

I personally know a retailer who was dying to go to the Forks but found the proposed rent too high ( I think the it was 15% of gross sales). This person has since gone elsewhere and is doing quite well. Retailers still want in to the Forks but will have to pay a premium for the privilege. The people leaving are basically the low end operators it seems to me. the target market there is changing. Some will like it, some won't.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I personally know a retailer who was dying to go to the Forks but found the proposed rent too high ( I think the it was 15% of gross sales). This person has since gone elsewhere and is doing quite well. Retailers still want in to the Forks but will have to pay a premium for the privilege. The people leaving are basically the low end operators it seems to me. the target market there is changing. Some will like it, some won't.
Fair enough but most of the shops at the forks do/did serve a niche market you're not going to open a similar store to what's available elsewhere such as a mall.

Agree some of the low end operators did get driven out, if your business plan sucks then you won't stay in business long regardless of where your located.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Spoke to a former store owner at the Forks who said things for retailers there are far from rosy. Forks management is indifferent to their tenants and any suggestions fall on deaf ears. More stores are closing than opening and opening of the CMHR has had no positive effect on retail. Paid parking at the Forks has been the biggest detriment for retailers, you can't charge for something that was always free especially with so many other shopping options in the city.
Gotta say, not buying it... the forks is infinitely more packed with people now than it was 2-3 years ago. I don't think the CMHR did it, but rather the work at the marketplace though.

Free parking isn't and shouldn't be the problem. It's always a challenge to find a stall at the forks and it's high time for Winnipeggers to stop letting a parking metre influence the market so strongly.

Lastly, that's what tenants do. There are good and bad landlords, but tenants generally always complain because life ain't easy and there's a bogeyman to pin it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I would take anything said by a "former store owner" (i.e. failed businessperson) with a grain of salt
exactly
Quote:
Yup, no proof at all just two restaurants shutting down and six or seven stores, everything's good though! Go ask someone at McNally Robinson how they're doing at the Forks, selling three books a week just isn't cutting it at that location, but since most of you seem to be business experts carry on...

Kind of like Joseph Hazelwood stating it was just a small hole in the Exxon Valdez!
Yeah, not really. Shuffling the deck happens when you overhaul a place like the forks, a place used to not changing with tenants that coasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Smart business. They need to make money.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:22 PM
Formerly rypinion

Just my observation, but living and working downtown I go to and through The Forks fairly regularly. I would suggest that The Forks is an order of magnitude busier in the last year or two compared to the years before that (and it was busy back then too).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:48 PM

The beer hall idea and new food outlets was genius.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I want to know which retailers they're talking about. If Forks Trading Co. is suffering, I'll count that as proof that something's wrong. If it's the place selling Ukranian tschotskes and unlicensed Jets junk, I'd take that all with a big grain of salt.

I'm guessing that the tacky souvenir places are blaming everyone but themselves.
Yup – Forks Trading Co, Jenna Rae, Ellement Wines, Coal and Canary are al doing massive numbers (I've seen them). I don't think many people are going to miss the several stores that sell the same crap from China you can find in the PP skywalks, the long-gone Irish themed store, factory made incense, etc. Those businesses only survived because they had such low rent before.

And yes The Forks takes 15% of revenue – as they should. Most of the businesses before had horrible marketing, if any. They did nothing to promote their businesses, just hoped people would show up, and complain when they didn't. Meanwhile TFNP spends a ton of time and money and other resources to program The Forks and bring people to the Market.

The reason why this beer lab idea and some of the other ones have come up, is they do want to slowly move away from non-destination retail on the second floor, and let some of those tenants take spaces in Railside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think part of that attitude has to do with the absolute shitshow that winnipeg transit is. If I can take a train or a bus and not have to screw around parking and get more or less where I want to go then I'm happy. It also allows you to have a good night out instead of being stuck having to say "sorry I have to drive later" all night.

Also i have to add that BRT is a garbage idea unless we find a way to make weatherproof stations i.e. heated in winter and out of the wind. Rail has always been the better idea, and preferably underground. I think having access to that would change a lot of winnipegers minds about needing to drive everywhere. The forks would almost certainly be able to do more if better transit existed.
It's funny because all the small stations in residential areas are heated, but the flagship showpiece Osborne Station is a frigid wind tunnel.

One of two things should be done. Either just install really fast garage doors – the ones at Portage Place are amazing. Rubber and go up and down in literally one second. OR enclose the waiting areas and put sliding doors where the bus doors would line up, like at an airport tram or some LRT stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I know I’m in the minority here but I think free parking should be maintained at the forks. The majority of people that go there are spending money on something. So to me the idea of trying to push people to use transit to access the forks and it’s amenities is short sighted and foolish. What family of four is gonna take the bus there to go skating for the afternoon?
Most of the parking has been paid parking for a long time, the parkade was the last free piece. I have no problem paying (just as I would anywhere else downtown, or in any other city) if it means The Forks is going to continue this incredible trajectory they're on.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Most of the parking has been paid parking for a long time, the parkade was the last free piece. I have no problem paying (just as I would anywhere else downtown, or in any other city) if it means The Forks is going to continue this incredible trajectory they're on.
Maybe with the paid parkade at the forks, they won't need the PP parkade. I know the forks parkade is a third the size but it's a start. I can't wait until the Forks can give the parkade up. PP could really turn itself around if it was getting that revenue.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I know I’m in the minority here but I think free parking should be maintained at the forks. The majority of people that go there are spending money on something. So to me the idea of trying to push people to use transit to access the forks and it’s amenities is short sighted and foolish. What family of four is gonna take the bus there to go skating for the afternoon?
Eliminating free parking will bring more people to The Forks to spend money and reduce traffic. It benefits The Forks by not having to pay the costs of subsidizing free parking (which they pass onto Forks visitors some other way), and it benefits drivers arriving by car by freeing up parking spaces.

Here's a good interview with Donald Shoup, which outlines some of the issues with free or underpriced parking.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:30 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Eliminating free parking will bring more people to The Forks to spend money and reduce traffic. It benefits The Forks by not having to pay the costs of subsidizing free parking (which they pass onto Forks visitors some other way), and it benefits drivers arriving by car by freeing up parking spaces.

Here's a good interview with Donald Shoup, which outlines some of the issues with free or underpriced parking.
Interesting read. I've always been a proponent of the theory that parking rates are easily adjustable to equate demand to available supply. I love the system the article talks about in SF where they adjust the on street parking rates based on observed usage for the past 6 weeks. Over 80% occupancy rates decrease by $0.25, less than 60% occupancy rates increase by $0.25

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
More people at the Forks hasn't translated into increased sales for any of the retailers.
Kite and Kaboodle recently doubled their space and are doing a full reno in the process.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Kite and Kaboodle recently doubled their space and are doing a full reno in the process.
Hey keep those facts to yourself!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
That's the kind of retailer that should be at the Fork's.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

With that argument there are a lot of municipal city parks losing out on parking revenue, maybe parking at Assiniboine Park should be user pay just like Stanley Park in Vancouver!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yup – Forks Trading Co, Jenna Rae, Ellement Wines, Coal and Canary are al doing massive numbers (I've seen them). I don't think many people are going to miss the several stores that sell the same crap from China you can find in the PP skywalks, the long-gone Irish themed store, factory made incense, etc. Those businesses only survived because they had such low rent before.

And yes The Forks takes 15% of revenue – as they should. Most of the businesses before had horrible marketing, if any. They did nothing to promote their businesses, just hoped people would show up, and complain when they didn't. Meanwhile TFNP spends a ton of time and money and other resources to program The Forks and bring people to the Market.

The reason why this beer lab idea and some of the other ones have come up, is they do want to slowly move away from non-destination retail on the second floor, and let some of those tenants take spaces in Railside.

It's funny because all the small stations in residential areas are heated, but the flagship showpiece Osborne Station is a frigid wind tunnel.

One of two things should be done. Either just install really fast garage doors – the ones at Portage Place are amazing. Rubber and go up and down in literally one second. OR enclose the waiting areas and put sliding doors where the bus doors would line up, like at an airport tram or some LRT stations.

Oh no! Where will we get factory-made incense?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 6:09 PM

Was there last night eating with family @7pm on a Saturday and the Common food market was packed. -38 outside so it wasn’t people coming in from skating. And the old school pinball arcade was awesome!!!

Any word when housing will start?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan