HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:34 AM

Bentley Leather filled for restructuring today and will be closing "unprofitable" stores.

Portage Place, Grant Park and Garden City are likely all in the Winnipeg hit list as will be a number of rural locations.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
This has been going on for more than a year and nothing has been done to take preventative measures, now someone’s hurt, the higher ups at the MLCC are 100% responsible for this mess.

This also goes beyond just riff raff, these incidents are occurring everywhere, it’s youths, across all demographics.
Yeah, that is not an accurate assessment of the situation.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:42 AM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:50 AM

Do they have a non-refundable enviro fee in Manitoba on bottles/cans?

I think in BC we pay 10 cents per bottle for deposit and then 5 cents per bottle for a non-refundable enviro fee. We can get the 10 cents back when we take em to the depot, but a lot of people just throw em in the trash so you see a lot of seniors going through the trash for cans in malls.

I think Alberta is the same, I never really pay attention I am just used to it.

In Oregon, you can recycle bottles at machines and they can tell if the bottle is from another state such as Washington that doesn't have a deposit/refund on bottles.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Yeah, that is not an accurate assessment of the situation.
What would be? The head of the mlcc quoted that their stores have been “under siege” for over a year. They’ve only now, after someone was hurt, instituted changes. It is their fault, for it escalating to this. There is no reason minors need to be allowed in those stores to begin with, but then it would be harder for rich soccer moms be able to by their wine’o’clock wine on the way home from practice.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Do they have a non-refundable enviro fee in Manitoba on bottles/cans?

I think in BC we pay 10 cents per bottle for deposit and then 5 cents per bottle for a non-refundable enviro fee. We can get the 10 cents back when we take em to the depot, but a lot of people just throw em in the trash so you see a lot of seniors going through the trash for cans in malls.

I think Alberta is the same, I never really pay attention I am just used to it.

In Oregon, you can recycle bottles at machines and they can tell if the bottle is from another state such as Washington that doesn't have a deposit/refund on bottles.
Manitoba only offers deposits back on beer, which is absolutely ridiculous, we could eliminate so much waste from our landfills but no. All packaging should have deposits then everyone would recycle.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Here every container that had booze in it can be returned, even wine bags. 100% deposit refund, 10-20 cents depending on size of container.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 5:28 PM

"Recycle Everywhere" (MMSM) has a campaign out right now that says if a single piece of trash other than their recyclable beverage containers (such as a coffee cup) gets in the truck, then entire load becomes contaminated and goes to the landfill....

Now I imagine that this is just an exaggeration to hopefully scare people into not putting other things in there, but this is what happens when you leave an industry like big beverage to police themselves. It's ridiculous that we allow Coke and Pepsi to essentially make and handle most of the public recycling decisions here.

We have recycling problems in Manitoba. No one is really sure what can and can't be recycled, and it is always changing. It doesn't help that Recycle Everywhere bins are blue, and only for beverage containers, but our home bins that can take any recyclables are also blue. Garbage disposal in Manitoba is confusing. I also see that composting is on the books in that long term budget that was released. That will be good.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:53 PM

At one point there were rigid sorting rules for recycling, but maybe 10-15 years ago we were encouraged to just start mixing everything together. That was a mistake.

I mean, I work in an office with a lot of highly educated people and you would not believe what ends up in the recycling bins. If that's the educated segment, I can't imagine what else is going into these bins elsewhere around town. It's hopeless. MMSM should just start from scratch and say only beverage containers and cardboard in the bins, everything else in the trash.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It doesn't help that Recycle Everywhere bins are blue, and only for beverage containers, but our home bins that can take any recyclables are also blue.
A lot of public places use Recycle Everywhere bins which say "Beverage Containers Only" on them simply because the bins are provided for free. Then the contents of those bins are recycled using the exact same city's mixed recycling system that home collection goes to. It's a very weird system which leads to even further confusion.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
A lot of public places use Recycle Everywhere bins which say "Beverage Containers Only" on them simply because the bins are provided for free. Then the contents of those bins are recycled using the exact same city's mixed recycling system that home collection goes to. It's a very weird system which leads to even further confusion.
Yeah – and how is the average person supposed to know that a coffee cup (which is paper and plastic) is not considered a "beverage container" in this circumstance. It's so dumb.

Also interesting, in Manitoba, coffee cups can't be recycled at all due to the wax on them. As well, "dark plastic" lids like those you get at McDonalds, Parlour, etc. cannot be recycled.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I mean, I work in an office with a lot of highly educated people and you would not believe what ends up in the recycling bins.
I would. Someone pulled out a cigar and an old name plate from one higher-up's "recycling" bin.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Just FYI, MMSM provides the "Recycle Everywhere" bins at no charge but if the facility is on a commercial collection program unless they are paying separately to have that recycling picked up it is going straight in the trash. Also MMSM expects the facility to have their staff sort through the content of the recycling to pull anything that isn't suitable. Guess how often that is happening?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:18 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sale-1.5381654

Governments should not own publicly accessible shopping centres. See Portage Place and how that turned out. ...

I agree that Pallister's government should do whatever to improve Eaton Place-Cityplace (that's what I still call it, LOL) and build a brand new office tower that, sure, they can own all they want.

Put some retail back into the mall. I don't know what. But please, no more cell phone stores! No jewellery stores. No more fast food joints, as the mall already has plenty. Maybe COLES can go, who reads books anymore?

What I'd like to see is a small mainstream clothing store like an American Apparel would be nice to have. Bring in the good suburban middle-class teens, and keep the riff raff ... OUT!

Quote:
"It means you're not just paying rent to a private company," Lamont said.
My disappointment in Mssr. Lamont continues. What a joke response. I thought he supported small business. But I guess he just continues to tow the Trudeau line of big government.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Governments should not own publicly accessible shopping centres. See Portage Place and how that turned out. ...
If you look at the overall square footage in CityPlace it is more "office building" than "shopping centre". The current configuration is very similar to Hydro Place which has publicly accessible retail on the ground level of its podium and some limited "retail" (medical offices currently in there) on the second floor where the skywalk connects in.

CityPlace was actually purchased by MPI when they lost space in the building do to being outbid. Buying the building allows them to keep their significant space in the building (mostly the office part) at a known rate for many years to come.

Heck if the government wants to get out of holding downtown Winnipeg real estate how about listing Norquary, Woodworth, Remand, the Law Courts, and the Leg too. Almost forgot, they should also sell Hydro Place and then lease it back...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:09 PM

^ I don't know why the local media can't seem to process the fact that Cityplace is an office building. They keep referring to it as a mall when that is obviously not its main function. It's like calling the Legislature a restaurant because there's a cafeteria and dining room in there.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:18 PM

It's also a really profitable parkade – yeah, mall is probably the lowest of its uses. To me it makes sense for MPI (or any gov dept/corp) to own their building such as this situation, so long as they are a significant tenant in it. If they're competing with private business for private sector leases on a large scale, not good, but in this case I believe MPI takes up a large portion of the building, so it makes sense.

If anything, the province should look shedding some other leases and moving more provincial departments into cityplace. Just like the City should be doing with the PSB tower..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't know why the local media can't seem to process the fact that Cityplace is an office building. They keep referring to it as a mall when that is obviously not its main function. It's like calling the Legislature a restaurant because there's a cafeteria and dining room in there.
Yeah all these "gov't shouldn't be a property developer" comments... It's not like they're going around buying investment properties. They own their head office buildings which is usually a good move for any corporation, it happens to have some commercial spaces in the ground floor. People say we should run gov't like a business and then freak out when you do just that.

"It says MPI is analysing its Cityplace location. The objectives of the analysis are to reduce occupancy costs, vacate 70,000 square feet of office tower space and "maximize Cityplace's value and position the property for potential sale".'

Vacate 70,000 square feet? So the plan would be to move MPI out and then lease that 70,000 square feet to... who exactly? There aren't exactly a pile of companies looking for that kind of space in downtown Winnipeg right now, there are already many many vacant floors at 201 Portage and elsewhere. Do the brilliant minds behind this have any knowledge of the real estate market whatsoever? This sounds like more typical PC bullshit of "fuck downtown, just because"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 PM

^^Fairly certain that outside of the 311 operations centre and a small portion of one other floor the entire office building portion of CityPlace is occupied by MPI. Further, I would estimate about 33% of the "mall" is occupied by more public facing elements of the MPI operation. This means fewer members of the public accessing the more secured office floors. Additionally, owning the parking in the building gives them a place to stage their fleet vehicles.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:45 PM

The news article is a canadian press thing. So hence the confusion of mall vs office building. It's an office building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan