HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i dont like palister and the cons

how they came and did what this did was irisponsible they coulda done a way bleeping better job getting things balanced vs just cuting and causing chaos absolute chaos some folks needed ti disapear from departments sept they stayed and the ones we shoulda kepted packed up and left
Chaos, seriously!?

Some of you guys need to stop and think about where tax dollars come from and the responsibility of looking after tax dollars, something the previous speNDP regime cared little about!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 11:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Chaos, seriously!?

Some of you guys need to stop and think about where tax dollars come from and the responsibility of looking after tax dollars, something the previous speNDP regime cared little about!
u have no idea the mess

deal with it at work

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:27 PM

Pallister government has cut funding all over the place. Such as for people with disabilities. They halved funding for Community Living groups that are now struggling big time to pay for their services. Half. Like 50% in one year. Cuts to the most vulnerable people. So yes it's a pretty shitty deal.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:05 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Whatever happened to that supposed "big resource find" and massive amounts of exploration around Steinbach and Beausejour for resources, the past couple of years? Just curious.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Whatever happened to that supposed "big resource find" and massive amounts of exploration around Steinbach and Beausejour for resources, the past couple of years? Just curious.
just cause u found it dont mean u got the money to develop as it takes a while to get through regulitory

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:51 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
i dont like palister and the cons

how they came and did what this did was irisponsible they coulda done a way bleeping better job getting things balanced vs just cuting and causing chaos absolute chaos some folks needed ti disapear from departments sept they stayed and the ones we shoulda kepted packed up and left

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:03 PM
There is always a way

I don't really like how things have been approached either despite leaning PC myself. They should be looking at tax incentives for businesses and developments looking at downtown as a location. Infrastructure is huge too
Glad they're looking at the perimeter. It would be nice if they would look at the rest of the TCH and 75 and potentially parts of 59 to bring up to limited access. I'd also like more emphasis on transit and major roadways in the city.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I don't really like how things have been approached either despite leaning PC myself. They should be looking at tax incentives for businesses and developments looking at downtown as a location. Infrastructure is huge too
Glad they're looking at the perimeter. It would be nice if they would look at the rest of the TCH and 75 and potentially parts of 59 to bring up to limited access. I'd also like more emphasis on transit and major roadways in the city.
Winnipeg needs transit investment more than anything else and that's clearly not going to happen with the PCs.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:27 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Winnipeg needs transit investment more than anything else and that's clearly not going to happen with the PCs.
Maybe. I mean roads are important too. Can't forget that even if transit ridership increased several fold that there would still be lots of cars and we also cant forget that theres an entire province and vital trade corridors running outside the city.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Silica sand for fracking. Other sites were developed at the same time which are competing for the same market unexpectedly. And there is a lack of demand for Canadian oil generally. I think they are still testing production.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Silica sand for fracking. Other sites were developed at the same time which are competing for the same market unexpectedly. And there is a lack of demand for Canadian oil generally. I think they are still testing production.
not oil they found its lithium salt brine

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
not oil they found its lithium salt brine
Well that too then. But there are some large mineral rights holdings for frack sand around steinbach that are being explored actively.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 12:07 PM

Don't hold your breath. SkyCity has twice the chance of being built as any of these resource projects. All you're looking at are small juniors trying to give themselves 4-5 years of burn down before rebranding and starting the cycle again. I used to work in the industry and am mind-boggled by the number of resources and reserves in this province that will never go into production.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Maybe. I mean roads are important too. Can't forget that even if transit ridership increased several fold that there would still be lots of cars and we also cant forget that theres an entire province and vital trade corridors running outside the city.
I'd like to see a bus or preferentially a summertime train (nods to Belinda Carlisle c. 1989) to Grand Beach again. Rebuild the "Dance Pavilion", but re-purpose it for Weddings and other "do's". Maybe a scaled down building. Could host Weddings there, even in the Winter if improved for that.

http://www.prairie-towns.com/grandbeach-images.html

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 24, 2019 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 1:51 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
Don't hold your breath. SkyCity has twice the chance of being built as any of these resource projects. All you're looking at are small juniors trying to give themselves 4-5 years of burn down before rebranding and starting the cycle again. I used to work in the industry and am mind-boggled by the number of resources and reserves in this province that will never go into production.
Agreed. Theres all sorts of radioactive material around Pinawa too, licensed for nuclear facilities too - yet, zero development. Pipelines in the corner of SW Manitoba, yet no active investments. No forestry because of a bunch of chiefs wanting to keep their bands in hand-to-mouth poverty, no mining expansion cause its too "cost-prohibitive", no roads to Churchill/Nunavut, or Light Rails in Winnipeg...

I mean, the richest of Winnipeg can go invest in towers and boondoggles galore, but when will any actually invest into MANITOBA as a whole? Same with companies and others across Canada - why does Manitoba always repel Canadian, American and wider international investment? Trudeau and the NDP obliterated Alberta's economy - and so has the NDP with Manitoba - but is it really that hard, to drop a bag of money in Manitoba for investment, and to actually do something with it, other than golden statues of Lenin & Costa Rica land buys?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 7:17 PM

I haven't been to Morden in years but while reading a CBC story about that town's problems with wastewater plant capacity, I caught wind of this project that is reportedly nearing completion on Stephen Street... a nice new mixed-use building for the main drag:

Source: pembinavalleyonline.com

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:24 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I haven't been to Morden in years but while reading a CBC story about that town's problems with wastewater plant capacity, I caught wind of this project that is reportedly nearing completion on Stephen Street... a nice new mixed-use building for the main drag:

Pallister sure loves stifling growth... which is unfortunate too, because thats a really nice addition to Morden.
Source: pembinavalleyonline.com

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:21 AM

^^^

Rebuilding the Grand Beach Pavilion to function like Green Gates of Headingley would bring more people there. And look see, in the summer you have people dressed to the 9s at the Boardwalk at the pavilion and closer in the photo you have beach goers. All intermingled.

Doesn't have to be a "dance hall" as today dancing means Hip Hop, and I'm not a fan of that music because it could bring in the wrong kind of crowd.

But a Wedding reception or Wedding anniversary. Or something that would bring people together there.

And there was a Hotel there too. Rebuild that so that people could stay at the waters, just like Lakeview had built that Gimli Hotel in the 1990s.

Grand Beach was a resort at one time. Bring that back. Build tourism in Manitoba!

Something "Regional".

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:41 AM

I really feel like there needs to be a focus on the beaches and tourism. Head round. Using hella as an analog doesnt quite qork at its 2 hours away. Grand beach, west hawk, etc. I know government subsidies are controversial. But do something. Seems like we have some gems in the summer that are ghost tiana in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:39 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I really feel like there needs to be a focus on the beaches and tourism. Head round. Using hella as an analog doesnt quite qork at its 2 hours away. Grand beach, west hawk, etc. I know government subsidies are controversial. But do something. Seems like we have some gems in the summer that are ghost tiana in the winter.
Gimli needs more investment as a tourist destination. The land there is so ridiculously fucking plentiful and cheap... they could EASILY build out TONS of tourist infrastructure around Gimli. Same with Arnes, Winnipeg Beach, Grand Beach, Lockport... it would be way too easy.

1) build hotels
2) build tourist traps
3) 1 and 2 attract further private investment (stores, restaurants, etc)
4) all of the above attract people, workers, residentual investment
5) tourism and residential, cement commercial demand
6) all of the above, stimulate trades and industrial expansion
7) wait a few years
8) ?!?!?!?!??!?!
9) Gimli resembles Miami

And maybe add transit services and bus lines too, between Gimli and Winnipeg. Build demand. Lessen traffic needs. Tourist buses too, double decker, and sightseeing floors as well. Same with Grand Beach.

Tourism should be built outside of the Perimeter too. It doesn't all have to be inside city limits. And Manitoba would reap rewards, if done correctly too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan