HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Ah, the ever-amusing Newflyer.

Yes Newflyer, sure. Ripping up the innercity to build roads, increasing capacity of expressways running to and from the suburbs, and making it overall easier to live in Cranston and commute to downtown Calgary (or your job in Foothills Industrial) will decrease sprawl. Hahaha

Who paid you to say this, really?
Who said anything about ripping up the inner city?? ....I didn't. I said there should increase the traffic capacity on comercial routes in Winnipeg.

I am purplexed at how you come to your extreme response to the fact that radid transit is not economically efficient within a smaller city. Nobody has suggested the alternative is "ripping up the inner city".. but you. The fact is downtown Winnipeg is very well connect with roadways.. and doesn't suffer from any real levels of conjestion under normal conditions. The upgrades I have in mind are fewer traffic lights on roadways like Lagimodier and Route 90... and underpasses where major roadways cross railways. As far as parking is concerned .. Winnipeg has no parking problems. I am never had a problem parking in Winnipeg. The truth is downtown Winnipeg has far too many surface lots everywhere.. and ideally I would love to see many of them developed. Calgary is a completely different ball of wax... and it has developed its downtown into restricted accessible mess, especailly for a city of only 1 million people. It really defies logic... but the city now faces required billions of dollars in needed commuter trasportation upgrades... but can only afford to add a single 6 stop LRT line.. even while the province and city is swimming in cash. I can only assure that the new northeast-ringroad which will cost less than the proposed LRT upgrades will have a significantly higher impact at lowering commuter conjestion.

Your retoric is hillarious.

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 10, 2007 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 6:26 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes.. people like Boris who base there aurguements solely on ideogy.. without anything to back it up.

Well Boris let me inform you that LRT's have not only reinforced the advancement of suburban sprawl, but has provided a completely false sence of minimizing the decentralizing of urban centres. The whole concept has been partially highjacked by a minority of misinformed individuals.

Yes Light rail does reduced the traffic on roadways, but it is a extremely expensive option, which isn't viable for many centres. In Winnipeg's case it would be nice, and I would love using it as a daily transit user myself, but Winnipeg's finances could not afford to subsitdize such a nonself-sufficient public mega project... which would also rapidly increase suburban sprawl. To even suggest it wouldn't would be little more than pure denile of the facts.

It is too bad some people are so blinded by pure emotion and even have to resort to insulting those who make well informed arguements. With that aside all the extreme retoric is really meaningless drivel.

Increasing transportation options to the suburbs only increases the attractiveness of those suburbs. There are many people who live in the inner city to maintain easy access to the innercity .... but by developing mass rapid transit, it makes the suburbs a much better option than without rapid transit.

Boris you like to see things in black and white... (rail is good .. roads are bad), but imagine for example if there was a rapid rail line connecting Stonewall to downtown Winnipeg. This would be a huge plus for Stonewall as a means to attract new residents, while vastly improving the commuting lives of the current residents already living there.

Yes I know what you are thinking .. but Stonewall is not part of the city, but in reality it would have the same impact to any suburb within the citylimits as well. The truth was revealed to me when the Sommerset station was established on the far south end of the city of Calgary (argued it would assist in reducing the traffic conjestion).. but bedroom communities (like Okotoks among others) further south became a much more inviting option to developers and people who were looking to commute from out of town. Those bedroom communties as well as the far south end of the city of Calgary exploded in response to the increased access to rapid transit, far beyond areas without the rapid transit option.

For the record .. I have close ties in Europe and am very aware the amount of commuters who travel into the major cities from out of town.. either by car or rail. Europe is not the omnipure society as you like to project it... It has traffic conjestion ... smog and the many other problems faced by North American cities. Perhaps you should see it before you make your vast assumptions.
And you base this on what, your own rhetoric? It is already clearly established that you feel that truck traffic is the end-all and be-all to a local or regional economy, and that free market business comes first before all other concerns, even the environment (which is absurd of course, we can live without the trucks, we can't without all the valuable farmland, wetlands, clean air, clean water, etc.).

The reason that rail is better than roads, in terms of sprawl, is that the furthest people will drive in a rail-based system is to and from the nearest station. And that is limited by the number of parking stalls. You can concentrate development around train stations and make them pedestrian and transit hubs, something that always turns out disastrously when put beside expressways. In the end, the land use and transportation benefits are a net positive for the city. In the streetcar era, development was concentrated around these lines until car access became available in the 1950's and the big auto companies bought up and tore out the railways. The concept of transit-oriented villages (TOD) is what drives this movement today.

And your alternative, of building more roads, is much worse. Your entire premise is that LRT doesn't slow down sprawl (in your mind it actually helps it, which is completely bogus), and therefore roads do? Explain what kind of point you are trying to make, because so far it seems empty.

In terms of efficiency, a single line running into downtown Calgary, for example, carries well over 25,000 commuters in an hour. That is comparable to Macleod Trail over the course of an entire day (~27,000 vehicles) and about half of what Deerfoot does over an entire day (~36,000 vehicles), when you consider that most commuters are 1 person/vehicle. All you have to do to expand a transit system is add a line every 20-30 years and otherwise just upgrade the stations. It's entirely scalable. The only reason that the stations aren't coming along quickly is because the city and province are wasting money building something like 21 interchanges around the city. The political will is only just starting to come around for the West LRT, something which planners have been pushing for over 20 years and would greatly reduce vehicular traffic coming down Bow Trail and into the Beltline.

As far as Calgary's southern communities exploding because of rapid transit, that simply is not true. If anything, the Southwest lags behind the Southeast and the Northwest in development, both of which areas are seeing massive amounts of road construction. The LRT expansion in the northwest doesn't even count, since it doesn't go anywhere near the new areas. In the Southwest, the LRT runs right beside existing communities, and is patronized by them, while the development south of 22X has not taken off there. Suburban communities like the Everridge which are booming are doing so as a result of the Fish Creek Bridge which was completed in 2004.

You also can't prove that Winnipeg cannot afford to build any rapid transit. This is a city of what, 700K we are talking about? Smaller European centres can easily afford a basic tram system, and Winnipeg surely isn't the glorified mess you make it out to be. Is there any conclusive city-directed study out there on rapid transit in Winnipeg?

As for your last post, I'll respond to that here. The only way to add infrastructure into an existing area is to rip up what is already there, unless there were big ROWs in the first place (which is usually not the case). You don't need to do much to add another transit line, bulldozing extra lanes into a community (such as 16th Ave N. in Calgary) does horrendous damage to the urban fabric. If you were only thinking about changes in traffic lights and underpasses at rail crossings, I have few objections, except that pedestrian connections always come before road connections. If a road runs through an area where there is existing or potential pedestrian activity, traffic lights should be added, not taken out.

Winnipeg has too many surface lots, yes. So does Calgary. There is a reason for that restricted access and higher parking rates, it helps force people onto transit. Most major, thriving cores have restrictions on getting into downtown. In London and New York, for example, you have to pay tolls. In order to stop companies from fleeing downtown to the burbs, all you have to do is to not allow any permits unless the development conforms to the city's planning vision and includes considerations such as transit. Calgary can do this, and so can any other city with a similar Municipal Planning Act. I've already addressed the point about the infrastructure upgrades, and the only truth there is that if the city had committed to more transit expansion 10 or even 20 years ago, it wouldn't be as bad as it is now. It is because the city caters first to automobiles, the ultra-innefficient mode of transportation, that people have such a hard time getting anywhere.

Besides, most of our cities are FAR too easy to get around. Most of the road infrastructure isn't being used to capacity, and yet we keep building more an more to appease suburban voters. We've seen nothing but roads and roads and roads being built for the last 8 or 9 years, and the traffic increasingly gets worse. So much for improvements. What's the point of investing all those billions into expressways and freeways if there is no noticeable effect?

One final note that might come across more to your tune. I think that if you want to increase truck traffic through the city, you should be taking existing expressways and then making them limited-access, taking out either entire lanes just for trucks or the entire road. Then, put a modest toll for those industries that use the road, directing that money into a rapid transit to for those commuters that were displaced. You would also need new regulations to keep heavy truck traffic off of other roads. Put a development levy on TODs around stations for this line, and direct it towards further improvements in transit, such as feeder connections. Meanwhile, the road toll will begin to pay for further upgrades to the truckway. In the end you have a win-win-win situation. The city gets more high intensity development (and a tax base-infrastructure spending ratio) and a better transit system, there's more opportunity for developers and the truckers get a dedicated roadway. The only problem is that people developed freeways in the past under the premise that it was for the industry, but it ended up being mostly for suburban commuters. Another problem is that initially people would react poorly to taking away a road for commuters.

Overall, any mentions of transportation NEED to mention the entire triple-bottom line (economic, environmental, social). Any failure in one of these areas is not acceptable. It is also inconcievable to speak of transportation without any relation to land use, since they are quite finely intertwined. Focusing on only the economy will not be good enough, especially not the free market, which does not and should not provide schools or hospitals for these automobile-oriented (sprawly) communities, cares little for the environment (and exploits it as much as possible) and often concentrates investment in a few communities at the expense of others. The result of which is that we have poor communities and rich communities, those with over-gentrification and those which have decayed.

Now just to sit and wait for the "left-wing rhetoric and propoganda" attack. T_T

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Oct 10, 2007 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 2:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Imagine the roads with competent designers and the money that went into the LRT system spent on roads. It's very questionable that the LRT has helped Calgary. For starters, eliminate the artificially high parking charges downtown and you'd see more than half of the people quit taking the train downtown. Too bad the City doesn't have the balls to conduct an unbiased survey to find out the real reasons why people take the train.
The parking prices aren't artificially high. If they were beyond what the market was willing to pay you would see empty parking lots everywhere.

As it stands it is hard to find a parking spot in downtown Calgary after 9.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 2:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
your arguments are idiotic, shut up please.

P.s.: Europe would kick the ass of your stupid suburbian highway-riddle ideal city anyday

Then why did you move to Canada from Europe?

Why aren't there millions of people leaving North America to go to Europe?

Some friends of mine recently moved from the UK and they said that generally speaking 1 in 20 people in the UK is currently working on their paperwork to leave the UK for North America. They even have conferences where other countries set up booths to lure people to their country.

Sorry buddy. People are leaving Europe for a better life (just like you probably did).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:16 PM

^Boris - some good ideas there.

Corndogger, I'll add that the initial C-Train in the 80's cost a mere $300 million. I believe with all the additions to the SW, it is still only around $500 million. It'll be another nearly $500 million for the NW and NE extensions. It costs just over $30 million/year to operate.

To compare (along with the $1 billion + Boris has mentioned for the ring-road), the improvements to Glenmore alone are tagged at nearly $200-million. Widening Shag/Beddington/Country Hills will cost around $73-million...and then there's all the interchanges that have been built.

As for the LRT assisting in the sprawl, Boris' points are absolutely valid...no one in the SE would use the C-train (they're all close enough to Deerfoot), and the NW has been inching closer to Cochrane every year without the C-train even remotely close. Ironically, two of the most dense suburban areas planned for Calgary are slotted to go on the SW edge (south of Cranston and Chapparal) to eventually house between 3000-5000/sq km. A good sign indeed. In Calgary as well, it's been shown most recently that those neighbourhoods closest to the LRT lines are the most desirable with new Calgarians moving here.

Winnipeg is just as suburban as Calgary, but there's two main reasons LRT may not be as successful in the Peg...1) parking is still very accessible and cheap (H0twired is correct, that it is difficult even in the Beltline to find parking at $19/day after 9am), and the culture there - just as in most NA cities is the preference to drive. 2) The workforce centrally located isn't nearly as large (which, is likely why Calgary's C-Train has been successful since the beginning).

EDIT: I guess we'll all see in 25 years if Winnipeg handles sprawl issues better than Calgary has as it reaches 1 million folks.

As for the comments "you want planners to convince employers to have more flextime. I'm not sure if it is the job of planners to tell employers how to run their companies" - that's not what I'm saying...I'm saying it helps to educate. Most larger companies are using their invested technologies as much as possible to allow flexible working arrangements (for many other reasons, not just the concern for environment and commuting patterns)...I firmly believe it is the role of planners to help sell these ideas. It's the same philosophy as many other factors in our life, that building a road/LRT for a capacity it sees for two-hours/day doesn't make sense...if it was spread over a few hours it would save a lot of infrastructure cost. This is called "thinking outside of the box"

I live a 10 to 15 minute walk to the C-train station, or 2 minute drive. I don't drive and take the C-train, because the parking lots (at the last SW station) are packed by 7:30am. Besides, like quite a few commuters to downtown, my parking is paid...and unlike these claims that driving takes 2-hours each way, I can make it between 30-40 minutes. Thanks for those new interchanges, and McLeod widenings

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 6:38 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
As for the LRT assisting in the sprawl, Boris' points are absolutely valid...no one in the SE would use the C-train (they're all close enough to Deerfoot)
Perhaps you should squeeze yourself on to one of the express buses going to and from McKenzie Towne and then tell me that no one would take the C-Train.

I am sure other communities are much the same way.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:00 PM

^Yes, I use "No one" loosely. I'm sure there are those that take a bus (and the what, 20-minute ride?) to get on the C-train in the SW...but as crowded as the buses are, folks never moved to the SE because they can take a bus to the C-train from those communities...that was the point.

Besides, I'm not sure why someone would take that ride to Somerset station, and then the C-train, instead of just hopping on the express bus from McKenzie Towne to downtown.

EDIT: I see the route 416 would actually go a few stations north, to Southland - not Somerset. However, it appears to take just as much time doing that vs just heading downtown anyway. Regardless, I think the point was made.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The parking prices aren't artificially high. If they were beyond what the market was willing to pay you would see empty parking lots everywhere.

As it stands it is hard to find a parking spot in downtown Calgary after 9.
How can you say the prices aren't being manipulated by the social engineers running city hall? They only allow developers to build 50% of the spaces they want and they (the city) take forever to build the other 50% assuming that they actually ever get around to doing it. Also, don't parking prices drop a lot in the evening? That would account for increased usage in the evening and during the day we have rich oil companies paying for a lot of the spots.

To find out if transit is really popular they should adjust fares so that users are at least paying for operating costs. In other words triple them. Then we'd see if $15/day transit would be as popular as $15/day parking.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:18 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
How can you say the prices aren't being manipulated by the social engineers running city hall? They only allow developers to build 50% of the spaces they want and they (the city) take forever to build the other 50% assuming that they actually ever get around to doing it. Also, don't parking prices drop a lot in the evening? That would account for increased usage in the evening and during the day we have rich oil companies paying for a lot of the spots.

To find out if transit is really popular they should adjust fares so that users are at least paying for operating costs. In other words triple them. Then we'd see if $15/day transit would be as popular as $15/day parking.
Where do you get this 50% figure from? My understanding is that you aren't allowed to build a tower in this city unless you are willing to replace the parking with underground parking. Most buildings built have more parking spots than the original surface lot had.

Also aren't the current underground lots limited in depth by bedrock and the watertable? Not to mention the massive expense to continue digging deeper.

You will be hard pressed to find a "rich oil company" paying for tons of spots. Most tenants of buildings are limited to parking availability depending on how much space they lease. I worked for a company in Sun Life Plaza and we had an entire floor and a whopping NINE parking spots up for grabs. Most snap them up and then let their higher up employees pay for them out of pocket. Parking is a taxable benefit anyways so "free parking" isn't exactly free to the employee.

Personally, I do not want a SINGLE city owned parking lot. The last thing I want my taxes go towards is more parking downtown. Even so, the city only owns 2 major parkades in the core and isn't all that interested in jacking up the price of parking. The city would much rather prefer everyone drive to work and put less strain on the current transit systems which tend to cost the municipality much more money than more roads or just letting office buildings sprawl throughout industrial parks with lots of room for parking (much like Winnipeg).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 11:15 PM
Change is good

Quote:

You don't use the transit spot all day, where as you park all day in the stall. I think your really starting to grasp at straws here

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Personally, I do not want a SINGLE city owned parking lot. The last thing I want my taxes go towards is more parking downtown. Even so, the city only owns 2 major parkades in the core and isn't all that interested in jacking up the price of parking. The city would much rather prefer everyone drive to work and put less strain on the current transit systems which tend to cost the municipality much more money than more roads or just letting office buildings sprawl throughout industrial parks with lots of room for parking (much like Winnipeg).
I would add here that this is only short term capital costs. In the long term, sprawl leads to an infrastructure deficit as the tax base spreads out further and the amount of infrastructure needs to be increased.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:31 AM

I vote for Boris.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:59 AM
I am a typical

"The city would much rather prefer everyone drive to work and put less strain on the current transit systems which tend to cost the municipality much more money than more roads"

Then why is it that my city can afford to buy three new buses every year and install an entire GPS/Electronic tracking system with digital maps at 5 major terminals, and yet we had to beg the government for 20 years for 9 million to repave May Street?

Maybe Calgary needs some help from Thunder Bay on how to manage a transit system? Of course, that just sounds absolutely silly!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 1:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I vote for Boris.
Boris .. the guy who doesn't realize that the city of Winnipeg was and still is built around the transportation of goods.

Winnipeg is a major transportation hub .. with massive railyards ... large distribution centres and multi-model facilities. The home of many trucking companies, who recognize Winnipeg's place as a hubcity.

Boris has virtulally ignored the reality of the economic impact of trying out enterprise in his fancy world or LRT lines at the expense of efficent roadways.

His ability to ignore the massive impact which rapid transit has in improving the the quality of life to bedroom communities. He has even suggested that its a no-issue, but the facts clearly prove him completely 100% wrong.

Since the Sommerset station was opened Okotoks has grown by over 50%.. Thats nearly 6000 new residents moving into a town, many of whom saw the advantage of driving into Calgary city limites ... parking in a massive sea of suburban lots which substitute for downtown lots .. and ride this "rapid transit" into work. Those C-trains are often full, before they even leave the Sommerset Staion (first station on the south line) Many of those riders are from out of town.... yes the city is now subsidizing people from out of town. It has gotten so bad there was even a suggestion last year of increasing transit pass rates for people living out of town.

As you ride the C-Train into town ... you pass massive surface parking lots full of cars parked at each station... so the aruguement that these trains save space is little more than wishfull thinking.

Like I said ... LRT makes living in the outter communities just that much more attractive., but as has been pointed out Winnipeg lacks the nessesary downtown economic draw to make any of this more theoretical. Winnipeg is a much more industrial city than Calgary.. but Boris fails to consider economic makeup... I guess it just to right-wing for him.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:30 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Then why did you move to Canada from Europe?

Why aren't there millions of people leaving North America to go to Europe?

Some friends of mine recently moved from the UK and they said that generally speaking 1 in 20 people in the UK is currently working on their paperwork to leave the UK for North America. They even have conferences where other countries set up booths to lure people to their country.

Sorry buddy. People are leaving Europe for a better life (just like you probably did).
i think everyone in this forum realized that I'm not totally, ehm, mentally sane

I wanted to study abroad and after being rejected from Ireland, I came to Canada. If I had found in Swaziland, I would have gone there.

I don't really believe what you said about UK, one of the richest and greatest places in the world. I bet 99% of those people leaving for North America are indians/asians/africans which can't get UK/UE citizenship, as UE (and here I reply to corndogger) doesn't want a population growth and it's doing everything for preventing it.

In Europe generally cities which don't grow in population are considered economically solid, while cities that grow (usually by millions, see Istanbul, Cairo, etc.) are typical of developing countries. City growth in Europe means people leaving the countryside to find better jobs in the city, which is thing of depressed zones. Where the economy is sound (ex. all Italy except south) there is no need for internal migration as everyone is happy and leaving their own hometown is a shock that few people want to face. The job market is very static as business and money are not the priority, live the life you want is.

Edit: there are thousands of Americans living in Florence (for medium-long time). Americans are also well known for being lazy at learning a language apart from English, and their effort often reveal to be very bad. They are also usually very bad at integrating in other cultures (they populate the few McDonalds and stuff in Florence quite much), especially cultures more ancient and way more relevant than theirs.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Last edited by spiritedenergy; Oct 11, 2007 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:17 AM
Majestic

Is there even a point in responding to this anymore? It's clear that we both are not going to move from our respective positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Boris .. the guy who doesn't realize that the city of Winnipeg was and still is built around the transportation of goods.

Winnipeg is a major transportation hub .. with massive railyards ... large distribution centres and multi-model facilities. The home of many trucking companies, who recognize Winnipeg's place as a hubcity.

Boris has virtulally ignored the reality of the economic impact of trying out enterprise in his fancy world or LRT lines at the expense of efficent roadways.
Winnipeg is a city whos heydey as a transportation hub ended with the Panama canal. It'll come up and go down, but it isn't the Chicago of Canada anymore. It's unrealistic to think that this one type of economy will revive itself to the point that it will sustain Winnipeg. Quit it with your wishful thinking.

Quote:
His ability to ignore the massive impact which rapid transit has in improving the the quality of life to bedroom communities. He has even suggested that its a no-issue, but the facts clearly prove him completely 100% wrong.

Since the Sommerset station was opened Okotoks has grown by over 50%.. Thats nearly 6000 new residents moving into a town, many of whom saw the advantage of driving into Calgary city limites ... parking in a massive sea of suburban lots which substitute for downtown lots .. and ride this "rapid transit" into work. Those C-trains are often full, before they even leave the Sommerset Staion (first station on the south line) Many of those riders are from out of town.... yes the city is now subsidizing people from out of town. It has gotten so bad there was even a suggestion last year of increasing transit pass rates for people living out of town.
I've already proved that your point is nonsense, I need not do it again. You are standing on an extremely weak limb here. To associate the growth of Okotoks with the Somerset station is false association at best, there's only a few hundred parking spots at that station and it happens to be right next to the community and a shopping area + high school. The growth of Okotoks can be best associated with the Deerfoot extension which ends just north of the town. Since everyone who commutes the distance owns a car, and only a fraction of them would work downtown, why would they drive to a station, wait for a train, and then commute by CTrain, when they have immediate access to a freeway? The suggestions for increasing out of town transit passes are political maneuvering at best, a piece of populistic garbage.

Quote:
As you ride the C-Train into town ... you pass massive surface parking lots full of cars parked at each station... so the aruguement that these trains save space is little more than wishfull thinking.

Like I said ... LRT makes living in the outter communities just that much more attractive., but as has been pointed out Winnipeg lacks the nessesary downtown economic draw to make any of this more theoretical. Winnipeg is a much more industrial city than Calgary.. but Boris fails to consider economic makeup... I guess it just to right-wing for him.
Those surface lots were built way back in the 70's and 80's. At least 7 or 8 have plans for TOD, including Anderson, which has the largest lot. Winnipeg still has highly centralized office space compared to many Canadian cities, comparing between Canadian cities even moreso than Calgary. If the city wants to encourage downtown redevelopment, and putting jobs there (which obviously aren't factory jobs) it will need high-capacity, scalable infrastructure to do so. What you have failed to consider is anything beyond the growth of a subsection of Winnipeg's industry, and have derided the best choice option for the environment and the public realm in favour of choices that have been proven to work against them. If there was ever a time to learn from the mistakes of the past 50 years, it would be right about now.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
You don't use the transit spot all day, where as you park all day in the stall. I think your really starting to grasp at straws here
How am I grasping at straws? You are paying for the service. If fares need to be $7.50/trip to cover operating costs then a return trip would be $15. If we start talking about user fees covering capital costs as well transit fares would be much, much higher.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Where do you get this 50% figure from? My understanding is that you aren't allowed to build a tower in this city unless you are willing to replace the parking with underground parking. Most buildings built have more parking spots than the original surface lot had.
The 50% figure is city policy in the downtown area. Developers are allowed to only build 50% of the parking spaces required for their building and they pay the Calgary Parking Authority an amount of money equal to what it would cost to build the other 50%. The parking authority is then supposed to build their own parking structures with the money. It's a dumb policy and it's made worse by the *fact* that the parking authority has been known to sit on the money far too long before the build anything. Of course by the time they do they only get about half the number of spots they could have if they had built them right away. Like I've said before, I don't see why the developers just aren't allowed to build the spots to begin with like they always use to. This is the main reason why there isn't enough parking in downtown Calgary during the day.

Quote:
Also aren't the current underground lots limited in depth by bedrock and the watertable? Not to mention the massive expense to continue digging deeper.
I use to hear that in the past but I'm assuming modern construction techniques and better engineering can get around that. If it was such a problem they wouldn't be build 50+ story towers.

Quote:
You will be hard pressed to find a "rich oil company" paying for tons of spots. Most tenants of buildings are limited to parking availability depending on how much space they lease. I worked for a company in Sun Life Plaza and we had an entire floor and a whopping NINE parking spots up for grabs. Most snap them up and then let their higher up employees pay for them out of pocket. Parking is a taxable benefit anyways so "free parking" isn't exactly free to the employee.
See my point above about how developers can only offer half the parking spots needed.

Quote:
If the parking authority would quit acting like they are social engineers and do their jobs none of your tax dollars would go to pay for parking downtown.

I'm not sure where you are coming from when you say the city doesn't seem interested in jacking up parking rates. We must live in different cities! Same concerning your point about the city wanting everyone to drive. The sad thing is that they don't know what they are doing and we end up with crappy roads and crappy transit. We need a good road and transit system but our economic well being is more dependent on having good roads than good transit. Given the wealth of the province we should easily be able to have both but as long as we have another group of social engineers who insist we all have the same access to the same inefficient health care system, which is going to break us sooner than later, it will probably never happen. Throw in about $15 billion/yr and growing in transfer payments and it's guaranteed to never happen.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:03 AM

Tucson comparable to winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
I was looking at another forum about large U.S. cities without freeways and it might be that Winnipeg may be the only large city of over 500,000 people. Whether it was intentional or good fortune, I think it is something Winnipeg should be proud of: that we haven't made the mistake that has blighted so many cities on this continent.

Now, hopefully we can get around to improving public transit and urban life to kill any ideas of building freeways in the future
Tucson, Arizona (USA)
can be somewhat comparable to winnipeg. Even though there are a couple of freeways, those freeways do not serve a purpose to at least 85% of the city UNLESS , you live on the west side.

Furthermore, Tucson is over ONE MILLION and counting and still has not built a freeway since the early 60's. And current transportation plans do not include one. Just alot of road widenings.

IN addition to this, Tucson is the largest US city without a major freeway plan.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:40 PM
Change is good

Quote:
How am I grasping at straws? You are paying for the service. If fares need to be $7.50/trip to cover operating costs then a return trip would be $15. If we start talking about user fees covering capital costs as well transit fares would be much, much higher.
ok, but can we start including the cost of the road in your calculation for using cars? How much money a year do we spend on building and maintaining roadways?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan