HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Attended my second Banjo Bowl on the weekend. A few observations from a Rider season ticket holder:

1. Overall IGF is a great stadium, excellent atmosphere;
  2. It is way louder than Mosaic;
  3. Great selection of local food vendors. I had the shawarma on the upper concourse, visitor side. Yum!
  4. I was surprised at the long lines in the Men's on the upper concourse even during the play. Last time I was on the lower concourse and there were minimal lines;
  5. Very frequent visits by beer vendors in the stands, which explains my issue in 4.
  6. I am surprised that there are no ramps down from the upper concourse. Stairs seem to work OK though.
  7. Park and ride from Hydro was excellent.
  8. Seats are a bit wider than Mosaic, but do not feel as comfortable to me. It seems to be related to contour and slippery texture.
  9. Site lines in the upper deck are outstanding.
  10. It was a windy day, but not particularly noticeable in the stadium.
  11. The Bombers have great fans and they were also very respectful to the Rider fans. Lots of fun banter.
Interesting perspective. I sit in the east side upper deck so there's a good chance we walked past each other at some point... I was the guy in Bombers gear

Beer service has improved dramatically at IGF compared to the old place. In the bad old days they used to pour each beer into a cup, painfully slowly. You would literally walk up to the table, place your order (among the 2 options), and at that point they would crack open the can and slowly pour it into a cup. It led to extremely long and slow lines and no doubt a lot of people like me would simply not bother with it. The Bombers clearly smelled the money and sped things up dramatically with can service, vendors in the stands, etc.

Unfortunately, concessions are still excruciatingly slow and it feels like the staff are working their first game every time. So I generally don't bother with food.

I will point out though, there are two large ramps on each side of the stadium. The entrances are sort of hidden away though, and they're very lightly used relative to their capacity. People tend to opt for the stairs and the elevator, probably because they're a bit faster.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, although I wish it wasn't quite so good

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:59 PM

Yeah, unfortunately the noise and the atmosphere hasn't translated into the stadium being a place where other teams are afraid to come. The Bombers record at Investors is way below .500. You would think the noise might be more of a factor.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:06 PM

CJOB says the Bombers are neither confirming nor denying questions about whether they're putting in a bid for the Raiders/Packers NFL preseason game for this summer.

I wonder how realistic it is given that IGF is pretty busy now that there are two tenants... although I guess they could always move a Valour FC game if they have to.

Preseason games are preseason games but it could be an interesting event and even make the Bombers a few bucks. They'll have to avoid getting greedy though, because if they charge $125 for a nosebleed there could be a pile of empty seats. Although mind you if we don't sell the place out I'm sure a good number of Packer fans in ND and MN would be willing to make the drive up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:30 PM

I read in the Mosaic thread they were hot to trot for the game as well. But apparently that cooled when the raiders announced some type of other stadium agreement. It would be cool to see an NFL game. But with preseason it'd likely be all the 4th strings getting in reps.

Edit: Ah here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
The Raiders just announced that they've agreed to play in the Oakland Coliseum again in 2019 so they aren't nomads anymore. I wonder if that agreement will mean this game is not going to happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That doesn't sound good. So we were more of Plan B I guess. I heard they actually came up here and looked at the stadium.

The agreement speaks to 9 home games. 7 regular season and 2 preseason. One is being played in London.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CJOB says the Bombers are neither confirming nor denying questions about whether they're putting in a bid for the Raiders/Packers NFL preseason game for this summer.

I wonder how realistic it is given that IGF is pretty busy now that there are two tenants... although I guess they could always move a Valour FC game if they have to.

Preseason games are preseason games but it could be an interesting event and even make the Bombers a few bucks. They'll have to avoid getting greedy though, because if they charge $125 for a nosebleed there could be a pile of empty seats. Although mind you if we don't sell the place out I'm sure a good number of Packer fans in ND and MN would be willing to make the drive up.
Great idea, I think it would be a great event especially with the novelty factor - as long as, as you say, they don’t go crazy with the ticket prices.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:39 PM

^ Apparently the Riders pulled out, but I'm not sure why. It just didn't add up for them, for some reason.

Edmonton is reportedly looking at hosting this game as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5098041/b...e-season-game/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Great idea, I think it would be a great event especially with the novelty factor - as long as, as you say, they don’t go crazy with the ticket prices.
That's what killed the Bills in Toronto series some years back, Rogers went buck wild with the ticket pricing. Average seats were $183 a pop which was just bonkers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
^ Apparently the Riders pulled out, but I'm not sure why. It just didn't add up for them, for some reason.

Edmonton is reportedly looking at hosting this game as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5098041/b...e-season-game/
Thanks for the link. Regina is too busy with Heritage Classic maybe.

I would not be paying $200 to go watch a pre-season game. If they go that route, I don't think it'll work out too well for them.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:

I dunno, if the Moose and Jets can share the MTS centre then this can't be too hard, right?

Good that they're pursuing this!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I dunno, if the Moose and Jets can share the MTS centre then this can't be too hard, right?

Good that they're pursuing this!
Mixed feelings on this. It would be cool, but unless the price is right there would be few benefits for the city. The Raiders will likely demand a lot of U.S. cash guaranteed to bring their road show to town. We need to remember they're not shopping the game around because they "love Canada" or "admire Winnipeg". Unless the price is reasonable for the market AND the teams have a good chance of playing some starters I would say we should pass on the game and let Edmonton have it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Mixed feelings on this. It would be cool, but unless the price is right there would be few benefits for the city. The Raiders will likely demand a lot of U.S. cash guaranteed to bring their road show to town. We need to remember they're not shopping the game around because they "love Canada" or "admire Winnipeg". Unless the price is reasonable for the market AND the teams have a good chance of playing some starters I would say we should pass on the game and let Edmonton have it.
It won't be going to Edmonton.

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/26/e...n-game-report/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I see where you're coming from but I kinda disagree...

What you're describing above isn't the name of the game anymore. It's not "what can the NFL do for Winnipeg", but the NFL is showcasing "what Winnipeg can do for ABCXYZ123".

Winnipeg is too small to pass on publicity. If we make a good host, we need to help spread that message to increase the volume of interest in our city, to take one-offs like the NFL game and turn it into repeat business.

If you get a driver into a Mercedes for the first time, chances are you're going to get him into many Mercedes' as time goes on.

In this case it won't just be the NFL, but hell, anyone, anything, any god damn Mercedes lol.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:

What you're describing above isn't the name of the game anymore. It's not "what can the NFL do for Winnipeg", but the NFL is showcasing "what Winnipeg can do for ABCXYZ123".

Winnipeg is too small to pass on publicity. If we make a good host, we need to help spread that message to increase the volume of interest in our city, to take one-offs like the NFL game and turn it into repeat business.

If you get a driver into a Mercedes for the first time, chances are you're going to get him into many Mercedes' as time goes on.

In this case it won't just be the NFL, but hell, anyone, anything, any god damn Mercedes lol.
I see your point, but I wonder if the publicity value of the event might be overstated. Before and during the game there would certainly be some local buzz, and a positive mention by international media is nothing to be sneezed at. I have to admit I am afraid that if the city doesn't have another "event" lined up to follow the buzz surrounding an NFL preseason game we might just end up looking like more like a "backwater" desperate for attention, rather than a growing city worthy of a second, third or fourth look.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 12:29 AM

What kind of other sporting events could IGF hold besides Blue Bombers and Valour FC?
10 Blue Bomber games
15 Valour FC games
4 Bisons football

All I can think of are Canada soccer, Canada rugby, supercross and snocross.
Would there be a market for a tennis exhibition?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
It's definitely more complicated than that. You can have the Jets and the Moose play on consecutive days with ease, it happens all the time. But setting up the lines for a differently-sized field would take some time, and they'd have to install uprights in a different position too. Plus I'm sure NFL teams and broadcasters that have never been here before would want at least a couple days pre-game to get used to the place and get everything set up. So effectively IGF would be out of commission for at least 3 or 4 days leading up to the game, and probably a day or two after. Not a problem in the past as you could have two weeks when the Bombers have a road game, but a bit trickier now with another tenant. The good news is that a Valour FC could probably be rescheduled without too much trouble.

Quote:
I see your point, but I wonder if the publicity value of the event might be overstated. Before and during the game there would certainly be some local buzz, and a positive mention by international media is nothing to be sneezed at. I have to admit I am afraid that if the city doesn't have another "event" lined up to follow the buzz surrounding an NFL preseason game we might just end up looking like more like a "backwater" desperate for attention, rather than a growing city worthy of a second, third or fourth look.
IMO there wouldn't really be much prestige or lasting effects associated with the event. It would be a fun thing to do for one night and maybe make the Bombers some money, much like a big concert. Nothing more than that.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:59 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:

Something embarrassing will happen. A moose will run onto the field. Or it will snow.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:49 AM

I'd be surprised if the Bombers bothered pursuing an NFL exhibition game.

This is an ownership group that (for reasons unknown):

A) Went with the cheapest-possible contractor to construct the stadium (hence why it's already falling apart & in need of millions of $$$ in repairs)
B) Nixed the "inflatable bubble" that would've allowed IGF to be used year-round
C) Didn't bother pursuing any 2026 World Cup soccer games (source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.4703914)
and
D) Refused to pay back a majority of the loan given to them by the city/province to construct IGF

When it comes to the Bombers, expect them to do the bare minimum- at best.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
I'd be surprised if the Bombers bothered pursuing an NFL exhibition game.

This is an ownership group that (for reasons unknown):

A) Went with the cheapest-possible contractor to construct the stadium (hence why it's already falling apart & in need of millions of $$$ in repairs)
B) Nixed the "inflatable bubble" that would've allowed IGF to be used year-round
C) Didn't bother pursuing any 2026 World Cup soccer games (source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.4703914)
and
D) Refused to pay back a majority of the loan given to them by the city/province to construct IGF

When it comes to the Bombers, expect them to do the bare minimum- at best.
Yeah except that none of those decisions were made by the bombers ownership. They didn't refuse to pay back the loan, they were barely involved with the construction of the building and as such really didnt have much say in contracting decisions etc. Literally every point you just made has way more to do with the province and its incompetence
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:50 PM

The Bombers were making their loan payments before the Province wrote off the loan for reasons that weren't entirely clear. They're still making payments. So I'm not sure where this supposed refusal to pay back the loan comes from.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:37 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
The Bombers were making their loan payments before the Province wrote off the loan for reasons that weren't entirely clear.
Province writing off the loan in 2018 means less liabilities and smaller deficit in 2019. Especially if the Bombers are still paying the province the same amount each year going forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan