HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Looks fine to me. Better than its neighbor UH, plus better than what was there, Opium...so I consider it a win and good infill. I’ve learned to pick my battles. Plus I think it’s cool to see its placement go East/West for a change. Let’s look at the positives folks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Hanover - 1230 West Peachtree Street

Hanover is returning to Midtown with its largest project to date – a 40-story mixed-use tower at the southwest corner of West Peachtree and the planned extension of 15th Street. The significant project entails a stack of 8,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses at the street corner with 258,000 square feet of office and 328 market rate residential apartment units slated to begin construction in 2021, which best coordinates with the planned extension of 15th Street. The DRC commended the design team for the building’s overall architecture and supported most the requested minor variations, but did suggest a few design modifications to both meet code and improve the street level experience.

DRC Recommendations:
  • Midtown streetscape standard be met consistent with projects to the east and south.
  • Addition of a pedestrian connection from 15th St. to the parking spaces in the lowest level of the 793 space parking deck, along with the application of art and greenery to the north façade to provide visual interest along the sloping future 15th St.

Hub on Campus - 960 Spring Street

Chicago-based Core Campus is entering the Midtown market for private off-campus student housing with a project on the NW corner of Spring and Peachtree Place. Located at 960 Spring Street, the site is directly across the street from two other student housing developments – The Mark, currently under construction by Landmark Properties to the east and University House to the south. Known as “Hub on Campus,” the project has 278 units (784 beds) and 5,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses along Spring Street. While the design team took steps to create a building that connotes warmth and human scale, the DRC recommended several critical modifications to enhance the success of the street-level retail and eliminate small alcoves that could present public safety challenges.

DRC Recommendations:
  • Retail entrances should be re-oriented to face the public sidewalk, planting strips in front of storefront windows should be minimized and the internal floor slab for the retail spaces should be designed for maximum flexibility for future tenants.
  • Green screening on the north façade was also recommended to mitigate the negative impact of the blank wall of the parking garage, as seen from both Spring and 10th Street.
  • Landscaping and a lockable gate were recommended on the western edge of the site to provide additional screening and ensure that public safety is not compromised.
Thank you, I wonder why Trillist withdrew from the meeting. I saw on another thread they the management company they hired for Yoo on the Park is doing a poor job of managing.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:13 AM

Hub on Campus

I think that this is going to turn out considerably more interesting than many people expect.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I think that this is going to turn out considerably more interesting than many people expect.
I agree. This looks promising to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Thank you, I wonder why Trillist withdrew from the meeting. I saw on another thread they the management company they hired for Yoo on the Park is doing a poor job of managing.
The Midtown Alliance said they were not quite ready to present the plan but expects them to be on the agenda for next month.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Well, it's happening.

Far from the worst looking thing downtown and it will add a lot of foot traffic around the park.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 9:45 PM

In case anyone hasn't seen renderings of Portman's boutique hotel on the Beltline.

https://portmanarchitects.com/project/boutique-hotel/

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartallone View Post
in case anyone hasn't seen renderings of portman's boutique hotel on the beltline.

https://portmanarchitects.com/project/boutique-hotel/
iconic!!!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:59 AM

We need more of this kind of design quality.

So this is Portman's design-work, not JPX?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:55 AM

[/QUOTE]

This building will add to Centennial Olympic Park being surrounded by hotels and lodging facilities. If the other 2 vacant parking lots on either side of this building (fronting COP) are hotels or residential towers, COP will feel more complete, IMHO. '

The foot traffic has increase exponentially in and around the park even on the weekends.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
We need more of this kind of design quality.

So this is Portman's design-work, not JPX?
Correct, not JPX. I wonder if the son has more involvement in the projects now. If so, could mean incredible things for atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Correct, not JPX. I wonder if the son has more involvement in the projects now. If so, could mean incredible things for atlanta.
Yeah I mean I hate to say it but it's like Portman's designs all of a sudden entered the 21st century...you should see Portman's upcoming development in Southend, Charlotte. It looks great.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
This building will add to Centennial Olympic Park being surrounded by hotels and lodging facilities. If the other 2 vacant parking lots on either side of this building (fronting COP) are hotels or residential towers, COP will feel more complete, IMHO. '

The foot traffic has increase exponentially in and around the park even on the weekends.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it’s no more huddles with court hearings?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post

The foot traffic has increase exponentially in and around the park even on the weekends.[/QUOTE]

The 10 story hotel that will kick off once Generation wraps up will help too!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 5:28 AM

Toll Brothers has filed Land Development permits for both of their Midtown projects.

I don't remember seeing these renderings of 250 14th Street before.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 2:06 PM

Portman buys H.M. Patterson & Son funeral...

will develop property with multiple towers

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
A Midtown Atlanta property known for the landmark Spring Hill Mortuary, which dodged development for years even as new towers soared around it, has been purchased by prominent Atlanta developer Portman Holdings.

Portman Holdings will preserve the exterior of the more than 90-year-old funeral home and its gardens, which received landmark designation in 2018. Over the next year, it will create a master plan for the remainder of the property, one of the most prized in the city for its high point overlooking Midtown and Technology Square. Early concepts include a 600,000-square-foot office tower, a 300-unit residential building and a hotel.

Portman Holdings' design team will consider ideas for transforming the interior of the building. The process could take much of the next year.

The purchase of the landmark funeral home site and plans for the high-rise tower suggests Portman Holdings anticipates demand for Midtown office space near Tech Square will remain strong into next year and beyond.

H.M. Patterson & Son funeral home is expected to operate the Spring Hill Mortuary for at least a few more months. Construction on Portman Holdings' new mixed-use development could begin sometime in 2021.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 23, 2019 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 3:04 PM

Well it's Portman so you can count on this actually being built in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:07 PM

Very exciting. Love seeing the city grow.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

I hate to say it but I was a little disappointed that this is a Portman is doing this. I don't think they've quite mastered good urban buildings yet and they're not alone. That being said, the initial renderings don't look bad from a street-level perspective.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:53 PM
Just a dude

I'd like to see updates in 2020 as I agree this isn't super stimulating yet but it's early, happy to see the land being used, will be interesting to see how they use the funeral home and incorporate it into the development.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:13 PM

Over the years, many architects and city planners have been critical of Portman’s architecture and of Portman Holdings. Nonetheless, Portman was highly influential in transforming downtown ATL, introducing the atrium lobby to high rise hotels, and quite frankly delivering on ideas and promises. No Opus## and other lost causes for this organization. Better a delivery of the mediocre than none existent dreams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta