HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just thinking that for francophones especially, leisure travel on Dec. 24-25 by couples or the smallest family unit (mom, dad and kids) is basically unheard of.

People do travel for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but it's to be with extended family somewhere else. No one I know goes to Punta Cana or NYC on Dec. 24-25.
Yeah, not many people I know do this regularly. I think it's a combination of the desire to be here for the holidays combined with the relatively high cost of vacationing over that period.

I have a few cousins who own residences in warm places that basically skip town right around Boxing Day, but that's generally it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'll be leaving a frigid Seoul, and heading to the sunny shores of Thailand with a couple of days in Hanoi.
Are you hitting the Islands in Thailand?

Sounds similar to my trip last winter. Actually started in Seoul, flew to Phuket and then Krabi for some hiking, Phi Phi for some (a lot) of partying, Kho Tao for some scuba diving (and more partying), then Hanoi which we used as a base to check out Halong Bay and Sa Pa. Ended up staying an extra two nights for Tet in Hanoi. Made New Years at Time Square look like child's play in comparison.

One of the best trips I've done. I thought Hanoi was one of the most underrated cities I've been too, enjoyed it far more than Bangkok.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:34 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm going to fill the fridge and freezer and don't plan on leaving the house.
Doing the exact same thing! Unless called into work!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:34 PM

I actually prefer to travel on the 24th or 25th. The airports are quiet. People seem more relaxed and are in better moods. To be honest though I would much rather wake up in my own bed this year then travel to BC for a week.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Dec 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:16 PM
Midtowner since 2K

As someone who partakes in geocaching, I'm going on Christmas Day to an event in Oakville, right by the GO station....but just for a few hours. Heading back to Toronto see some family, then take a quick subway ride home.

Every year I take a bus to Peterborough to see some more family, usually on Boxing Day, until near the 31st. I've had mixed experiences with Greyhound...mostly on the way back to Toronto.....but the bus ride is fine as is.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I actually prefer to travel on the 24th or 25th. The airports are quiet. People seem more relaxed and are in better moods. To be honest though I would much rather wake up in my own bed this year then travel to BC for a week.
Me and my wife ended up in a similar mindset.

We were suppose to goto BC and we decided it just wasn't worth the jet lag.

BC is far enough north that Christmas week feels way darker when you also factor in the climate/jet lag.

We were originally living London a few days before christmas but decided spending christmas day on via rail was a great kick off for a honeymoon.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 3:25 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Are you hitting the Islands in Thailand?

Sounds similar to my trip last winter. Actually started in Seoul, flew to Phuket and then Krabi for some hiking, Phi Phi for some (a lot) of partying, Kho Tao for some scuba diving (and more partying), then Hanoi which we used as a base to check out Halong Bay and Sa Pa. Ended up staying an extra two nights for Tet in Hanoi. Made New Years at Time Square look like child's play in comparison.

One of the best trips I've done. I thought Hanoi was one of the most underrated cities I've been too, enjoyed it far more than Bangkok.
We'll split our time between Krabi and Bangkok. I've never been to Thailand before, so I definitely need to give Bangkok a fair shake.

Hanoi is just a two day stopover. We won't have much time in Vietnam - just enough to stuff my face with bánh mì and pho.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 6:49 AM

A couple days down in Seattle with my wife this weekend to take in a Christmas event. Then off to las Vegas on New Years day for four days.

Last year we went to New York for about a week at this same time. That was pretty amazing seeing the tree at Rockefeller and the various Christmas markets. Already thinking of heading there in 2020. Definitely puts you in the spirit.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
Me and my wife ended up in a similar mindset.

We were suppose to goto BC and we decided it just wasn't worth the jet lag.

BC is far enough north that Christmas week feels way darker when you also factor in the climate/jet lag.

The forecast for Vancouver is calling for straight sunshine that week, with highs around 5C, but who really knows??

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 3:13 PM

Since my daughter moved back to Regina this summer I’ll be driving to Saskatoba for the holidays. I’ll be pulling a trailer full of books and bookcases. So here’s to seeing SSM, the UP, Paul Bunyan and the bald prairie. But I’m off to the land of Oz for two weeks in Feb to compensate!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The forecast for Vancouver is calling for straight sunshine that week, with highs around 5C, but who really knows??
The last two times I was in Victoria there was literally a foot of snow.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:02 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I actually prefer to travel on the 24th or 25th. The airports are quiet.
I'm flying on the 26th for this reason.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:50 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Well, my plans to see family are shelved, I work until the 31st now....though I do have a break from Festivus until Christmas from work....not sure why our workplace is shutdown for so long, but maybe they're repairing one of the numerable issues with the building.

Intending to head to Peterborough on the 1st or so....for a few days.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:21 AM

Just visiting my familly in my hometown Montréal for Christmas and getting back to Québec City to break the new year on the Grande Allée.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:13 PM

I'll be driving back home to Maple Creek, Saskatchewan with my husband for Christmas this year, since I missed Christmas in Canada last year. I was hoping for a White Christmas back home but it's looking unlikely with the forecast week leading up to xmas.

https://www.cnn.com/weather

It's usually a 50/50 chance for a White Christmas at home, even Regina and Saskatoon have averaged only just over a 3/4 chance for White Christmas's this century but I was hoping since this Autumn was colder than normal that it would be more likely this year back home too. To add insult to injury back in the UK they may get a White Christmas (any snow on xmas day) this year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/christma...tmas-day-2019/

I'll take my husband up into Cypress Hills over the holidays to see what snow there is and I've already planned to take him to Elk Ridge in Prince Albert National Park in Northern Saskatchewan for the New Year.

https://www.elkridgeresort.com/#booknow

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:28 PM
Mooderator

Travelling to Quebec by car for the 25 and 26, then heading back by train on the 27 for work. I've travelled by train multiple times between Ottawa and Montreal, but never QC-OTT. Should be fun.

Last edited by harls; Dec 17, 2019 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 6:57 PM

My return flights from Toronto -Vancouver cost almost $1200 this year. Plus boarding my dog for another $700 this is a costly Christmas for me. I would have preferred to have stayed in Toronto and spent that money on myself.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:37 PM

I happy to be staying close to home for the holidays. After so many years of traveling between Ottawa to southern Ontario for Christmas, it's a relief. It was not uncommon to encounter every possible type of precipitation on that nerve-wracking eight-hour trip.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I happy to be staying close to home for the holidays. After so many years of traveling between Ottawa to southern Ontario for Christmas, it's a relief. It was not uncommon to encounter every possible type of precipitation on that nerve-wracking eight-hour trip.
I'm keeping an eye out on the weather forecast precisely because of that. The 23rd is looking reasonable, at this stage.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:03 AM
ハルウララ

Flight today went off without a hitch. YTZ was not that busy really, which was nice. Glad I flew today and not this weekend, I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada