HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I've noticed an important change in the Jets play that I personally didn't see a few seasons ago. If last night's game against the Red Wings is an indicator, hey seem more tenacious throughout the game than they used to be. At one time they would regularly appear to "relax" after scoring a goal, or if they had the lead in the last five minutes. Now they seem to press constantly, whether they have the lead or not. Maybe they feel they need to take the game to their opposition more after they lost a few big names off their defence, but it's certainly a welcome change!
The team definitely seems to be playing more of the style that was so successful two seasons ago. Fast and aggressive.

I think last season (as a result of the previous successes) the team fell into a bit of laziness in that they expected the results rather than working towards them.

But just for a bit of pessimism: the Jets this year are playing a lot of close games, often giving up the first goal and winning a lot in overtime - not to mention Helly's somewhat unsustainable goaltending stats.

The team is playing well, and banking points - but I hope the offense will start coming more easily as the goaltending (inevitably) regresses.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The team definitely seems to be playing more of the style that was so successful two seasons ago. Fast and aggressive.

I think last season (as a result of the previous successes) the team fell into a bit of laziness in that they expected the results rather than working towards them.

But just for a bit of pessimism: the Jets this year are playing a lot of close games, often giving up the first goal and winning a lot in overtime - not to mention Helly's somewhat unsustainable goaltending stats.

The team is playing well, and banking points - but I hope the offense will start coming more easily as the goaltending (inevitably) regresses.
Actually I am encouraged by the number of one-goal games they end up winning. Should they make the playoffs (and I am a lot more optimistic about this now than at the beginning of the season) they will probably be faced with a lot more 3-2 scores than 5-1 scores. As for Helly, maybe I haven't seen enough of his games, but personally i think he's playing better this year. Certainly better than last year, and possibly better than 2 years ago when they had their deep playoff run. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the team blocking a lot more shots for him back then.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:52 PM

The point being that over the long term it's unsustainable to claw back and win 1 goal games constantly, while relying heavily on your goalie. Hellebuyck has been lights out for the most part. Something that does not typically last.

I'll be in the category of agreeing that the team is winning games and looking fairly good. They have their down times for sure. If they can keep up scoring goals, while Hellebuyck let's in a couple softies, and keep winning. Then we're set-up for a playoff run.

If it reverts back to the place they were earlier in the season. Not scoring as much, defense playing bad and goaltending being spotty, we're in for a disappointing end to the season.

Basically if they can ride out downtimes in goaltending by scoring more, then playoff run here we come. That could be said for every team in the league though.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Just think if we can get a 4th line that can contribute anything at all to the team. Our 4th line has exactly 1 point. I measured that to the Stars 4th line when we were playing them and they had 24 points. Just a goal or two every other game will help in those 1 goal games.....could end up meaning one or two extra wins.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:02 AM

I saw Byfuglien at Peasant Cookery tonight with his family. I can’t imagine why he’d still be here if he wasn’t thinking of coming back...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I saw Byfuglien at Peasant Cookery tonight with his family. I can’t imagine why he’d still be here if he wasn’t thinking of coming back...
Really? You can’t imagine any other reason why he could possibly not leave Winnipeg immediately after making a decision to retire? His daughter is in school here. That’s a completely logical possible reason as to not want to uproot your family mid year. Maybe his wife has professional and/or social commitments to the city. I know she plays on a rec hockey team with other player wags. There could be a host of reasons to stay in Winnipeg completely unrelated to his role on the Jets. It’s not like there’s an urgent need for him to be elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Really? You can’t imagine any other reason why he could possibly not leave Winnipeg immediately after making a decision to retire? His daughter is in school here. That’s a completely logical possible reason as to not want to uproot your family mid year. Maybe his wife has professional and/or social commitments to the city. I know she plays on a rec hockey team with other player wags. There could be a host of reasons to stay in Winnipeg completely unrelated to his role on the Jets. It’s not like there’s an urgent need for him to be elsewhere.
I doubt he'd stick around town if he was totally done with the Jets...he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd want to be recognized absolutely everywhere he goes which is always going to be the case in Winnipeg.

Anyway, today's Freep has a story that suggests he's getting a bit closer to resuming his role with the team.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They sold their house here and there were reports at the start of the season that they pulled their kids out of school here.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:33 PM

Did they actually sell the house?

People were posting a real estate listing on social media, showing Buffs house sold. When in fact it was a post from like 4 years ago when Buff bought the house.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They sold their house here and there were reports at the start of the season that they pulled their kids out of school here.
They did not sell their house here. Emily Byfuglien had to go on social media refuting that after someone posted a sold listing of their house that was years old. And what reports are these? Random internet posters? They're living in Winnipeg. Byfuglien is seen regularly around town. His wife posts regularly on her IG from Winnipeg, pictures of her kids in Winnipeg, but yeah they were taken out of school.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Montreal Canadians home game at Bell MTS again, must be disheartening to watch your home team outnumbered by fans of the opposing team!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:01 AM

Yeah, if that were true, I guess it would be.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Yeah, if that were true, I guess it would be.
Guess you didn’t watch the game!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Delete

Last edited by rrskylar; Jan 4, 2020 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Just watched the Jets at Wild game, and someone with a straight face say NHL games aren't fixed or manipulated by the NHL!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 2:54 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Just watched the Jets at Wild game, and someone with a straight face say NHL games aren't fixed or manipulated by the NHL!
Certainly looked fishy the last 10 minutes or so and overtime
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 3:01 AM

Reffing aside we need some production from lines 3 and 4 it can’t be the top 6 all the time and Roslovic needs to pick it up as well playing with Ehlers and Wheels , as for our D hopefully sometime this year our D is 33,44, 4 , 88, 8, 3 with Kulikov as our 7 th .

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Reffing aside we need some production from lines 3 and 4 it can’t be the top 6 all the time and Roslovic needs to pick it up as well playing with Ehlers and Wheels , as for our D hopefully sometime this year our D is 33,44, 4 , 88, 8, 3 with Kulikov as our 7 th .
Would have to say Roslovic has been a disappointment, the guy has done nothing to warrant his top 6 spot he whined for in the off season!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 AM

Is no one at the NHL watching the refs? It seems like they are totally not accountable for their complete incompetence

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Would have to say Roslovic has been a disappointment, the guy has done nothing to warrant his top 6 spot he whined for in the off season!
He's got some talent, can move and is decent positionally, but just isn't good enough, or patient enough with the puck. I suppose he's being given a chance to see if that part of his game improves with experience, but it doesn't appear to be happening. And his skill seems to be wasted in a shutdown role. I hope Chevy has had him in mind for shopping around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan