HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:59 PM

Can someone post a key to show what the colors of the buildings mean, ie. existing buildings vs. planned vs. conceptual?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 12:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ha, well I was off. 75 feet. Still, 120 foot limits isn't all that bad for the area. And I expect some projects that sit a ways away from the river, or that are designed to decrease shadow, could go taller if the developer asks for a variance.
120 is the current RIO2 restriction, Andres and his others are trying to get that changed.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Oct 30, 2007 at 7:57 AM. Reason: Changed 1210 to 120

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:21 AM
Bears of antiquity

I believe in limited heights on the river, but it would be nice to have an iconic building or two

Since it's expected to have plenty of residences, could I just throw out the idea of stacking the tallest building in the area on top of a grocery store like a Whole Foods or HEB?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I believe in limited heights on the river, but it would be nice to have an iconic building or two

Since it's expected to have plenty of residences, could I just throw out the idea of stacking the tallest building in the area on top of a grocery store like a Whole Foods or HEB?
There may be a place for that in the Pearl development. There was an article about Silver Ventures I posted in the city compilations section about 5 months ago where they talked a little about how they wanted to develop the Pearl area.
Quote:
Ultimately, the project could extend downtown's tourist allure to lower Broadway while preserving a landmark. Silver Ventures officials say they're aiming high, drawing inspiration from world-class spaces like Seattle's Pike Place Market and Vancouver's Granville Island.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...11#post2861211
So there is the market idea, but obviously on a smaller scale since Texas doesn't have the abundance of food they have in the Northwest. They have already worked to establish a CIA school focusing on Latin cooking, so the food theme is continuing (starting with the company's food businesses).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:02 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Good times ahead for downtown SA.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:35 AM

Except or what we all want..... Great iconic modern buildings

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:38 AM
James

All the modern stuff will follow after this, once there is a presence of people downtown. That's when people will start building more office buildings and such.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
All the modern stuff will follow after this, once there is a presence of people downtown. That's when people will start building more office buildings and such.

Presence of people? You mean thousands more moving in?
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:49 PM
James

Yes, that is what I mean. When there are more people than what there is now.

Last edited by jaga185; Nov 2, 2007 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:58 PM
Meh

I know what jaga is saying. Downtown San Antonio is not dead, there are people out and about. The problem is most of those are tourists or office workers. I'll believe there are more downtown residents there when I see couples walking down the sidewalk holding hands and walking their dog. That indicates to me that they're out for a walk in their neighborhood - downtown. Look at the people. Are they vagrants? Are they office workers? Are they tourists? Or are they people who look like they actually live there? Look for clues like what they're wearing, what they're carrying. Office workers will be in suits, and wearing dress shoes. Tourists will be wearing sneakers. something comfortable for the day's activities, which no doubt include walking. They may also have on shorts and short sleeve shirts and a hat to shade them from the sun. Residents wear some of those also, but whenever I see someone who truly looks casual, like they just stepped outside their front door, and aren't necessarily dressed for the day, those are your downtown residents.

I've noticed a change in the type of people I see in downtown Austin just over the past year with a few new residential projects opening up. It's really interesting actually spotting the actual residents versus office workers or tourists.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 4:37 AM
Meh

To keep this thread on the original topic, I'm going to move all the downtown boundary lines, downtown population and zip codes talk out of this thread. This thread is about River North. If you want to talk about the downtown boundary lines or zip codes, please post in this thread instead:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141061

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I know what jaga is saying. Downtown San Antonio is not dead, there are people out and about. The problem is most of those are tourists or office workers. I'll believe there are more downtown residents there when I see couples walking down the sidewalk holding hands and walking their dog. That indicates to me that they're out for a walk in their neighborhood - downtown. Look at the people. Are they vagrants? Are they office workers? Are they tourists? Or are they people who look like they actually live there? Look for clues like what they're wearing, what they're carrying. Office workers will be in suits, and wearing dress shoes. Tourists will be wearing sneakers. something comfortable for the day's activities, which no doubt include walking. They may also have on shorts and short sleeve shirts and a hat to shade them from the sun. Residents wear some of those also, but whenever I see someone who truly looks casual, like they just stepped outside their front door, and aren't necessarily dressed for the day, those are your downtown residents.

I've noticed a change in the type of people I see in downtown Austin just over the past year with a few new residential projects opening up. It's really interesting actually spotting the actual residents versus office workers or tourists.

you're right, im sure all the people i see jogging downtown...drive there jog around downtown then drive back to stone oak.

There are quite a few people who live downtown its just not the "right kind" of people....to jumpstart a condo type boom.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 8:24 AM
Meh

^ I'm not saying no one lives downtown. Obviously, if you see someone jogging, it's a good bet they live there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 12:19 AM

I've seen people jogging along the CBD river area and around the River Bend in the early morning.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:50 AM

There are a few running clubs that run through the downtown area on Sat and Sun mornings. I know some of the people who are in these clubs. Most of them, if not all, live outside the dt area.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 9:10 PM

There are about 2500 living units in the CBD - half of those are low income or senior living. This is all OK, but what we need is 10,000 plus units in the next ten years, including workforce housing, to create an energized downtown with plenty of locals providing color and flavor. That volume will get us a full fledge grocery. And a school to bring families into the downtown mix. And corporate offices that can count on an educated workforce that can walk to work. And housing for both the CEO’s of those corporations, and the clerks.

Tourists will continue to come for the River and the Alamo, but we will truly endear them to our city if they have more choices where the locals hang out. As a tourist elsewhere, I'm hungry for that idiosyncratic local non-brand that provides a special experience and adventure which I cannot find anywhere else.

In case you didn't see another posting with reference to the latest on the River North master plan, here it the site: http://downtownsanantonio.org/rivernorth.html

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the links!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio