HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Capitalist

Investors Group Field | Winnipeg

I heard that David Asper will be making his presentation tommorow for a new stadium at the Polo Park Location. It is to include various commercial and retail concepts.

Knowing the Aspers, this project proposal will be very special. This new stadium centre may extend to the new Polo Park expansion. Then again I may have misheard .... we will have to wait and see. The complexities of this deal are still on going.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I heard that David Asper will be making his presentation tommorow for a new stadium at the Polo Park Location. It is to include various commercial and retail concepts.

Knowing the Aspers, this project proposal will be very special. This new stadium centre may extend to the new Polo Park expansion. Then again I may have misheard .... we will have to wait and see. The complexities of this deal are still on going.
Would this mean then that it may be built on the same site as CanadInn Stadium; meaning tearing down the old one and starting from scratch?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:58 AM
Capitalist

It sounds that way.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:09 AM
Movin' on up

I'm also praying that there will be an increase in seating capacity

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:23 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I'm also praying that there will be an increase in seating capacity
I heard it will have a capacity between 28000 and 30000 fixed seats, but will have a large number of private and corporate boxes.... but anyways I shouldn't be disclosing too much yet.

Tommorow gents!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:21 AM
surely you agree with me

………………...

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
does anyone really think the aspers are going to drop a nickel to build a football stadium?....they had to cancel their 40 million dollar head office for their billion dollar company....now they are going to invest 200 million in what is basically charity?

my prediction is DA will buy, or simply take over the bombers for a song and then complain to the government for the next 15 years to build him a stadium...he might pay for another feasibility study and ask ray wan to get his offshore rent-a-rendering service to ship over a few glossy images from india.

the aspers are a lot of talk, but not much action.
well why don't the aspers just put up the rest of the money for the meuseam.......

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:47 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
well why don't the aspers just put up the rest of the money for the meuseam.......
The Aspers are the largest private donar to this museum but they strongly believe it should be a community investment with a great deal of community support.. but they have taken the lead and have put up a large sum of there private money and effort to make it happen.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:58 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
does anyone really think the aspers are going to drop a nickel to build a football stadium?....they had to cancel their 40 million dollar head office for their billion dollar company....now they are going to invest 200 million in what is basically charity?

my prediction is DA will buy, or simply take over the bombers for a song and then complain to the government for the next 15 years to build him a stadium...he might pay for another feasibility study and ask ray wan to get his offshore rent-a-rendering service to ship over a few glossy images from india.

the aspers are a lot of talk, but not much action.
The Aspers didn't cancel the 40 million dollar building.. the shareholders with the board of directors questioned the value to the company. It was a Canwest project.. spending Canwest money.

Both the museum and this proposed stadium are not Canwest investments. These projects are from the Aspers private money, which is considerable.

I would also not call the stadium a charity... with the retail componant it should be able to make a small profit. Of course this is more of a $40M investment in the city of Winnipeg. Just as there has been many other projects funded by the Aspers for the benefit of our city.

It is very irresponsible to sugest the Aspers are all talk and no action. Have you even read a newspaper over the last 10 years. They have commited funds to many Winnipeg organizations and institutions.

These "no action" people have put endless hours and millions of there own money to make the musuem, which is a pure charity, to add to Winnipeg's cultural attractiveness. It is there attempt to add some big city quality to this slow prarie city.

Your post is beyond ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:05 PM
Closed account

I think TV's firm may have backed the wrong horse this time, so he might be a little bitter...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 4:42 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

does Winnipeg getting the posibility of a new stadium have anything to do with Canada's bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup?? I know Vancouver's new soccer stadium does.

just some food for thought.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
does Winnipeg getting the posibility of a new stadium have anything to do with Canada's bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup?? I know Vancouver's new soccer stadium does.

just some food for thought.
aww that would be sweet

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:57 PM

looks sweeeet to me
read my posts from today fp on winnipeg thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...123084&page=13

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:49 PM
Closed account

renders

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:53 PM
Closed account

So who is the architect that came up with the design?

It doesn't looked sized for a soccer pitch, but who knows as this early stage. Winnipeg should be careful not to miss an opportunity, either with MLS, which seems on the upswing lately, or as part of Canada's bid for the World Cup in 2018.

Last edited by fengshui; Jan 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
So who is the architect that came up with the design?

It doesn't looked sized for a soccer pitch, but who knows as this early stage. Winnipeg should be careful not to miss an opportunity, either with MLS, which seems on the upswing lately, or as part of Canada's bid for the World Cup in 2018.
Given that a CFL flield is essensially exactly the same size as a regulation soccer pitch, this could not possibly be a problem

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:13 PM
Round Head

Quote:

Looks Awesome! Congratulations Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:

My post in the regular Winnipeg construction thread didn't go into much detail other than the fact that I hate it and hope it's not the final design (and I think people are just excited about it just because we really need a new stadium and will take anything that might possibly get built at this point)

Now, they say it's partially covered, but if you look at it, it won't protect you from anything Winnipeg will throw at you. I think the blue arches look neat, but would rather have some sort of material between the arches acting as protection from the elements. And they could have two smaller gold arches on the other side, that'd look neat perhaps.

Another thing I don't like is that it doesn't look expandable or upgradable. If it's going to be built I'd like for such options to be left open.

I also feel that the ballpark and mts centre do a good job of integrating into their surroundings, offering excellent concessions and places to mingle with other fans. This stadium doesn't seem to let people explore, it just seems to be a bunch of seats, and stairs, like the current stadium, and in the same location while serviceable Doesn't offer much of a view.

Those are my impressions. I hope if Asper gets his way they at least work on the design to reflect the city more and also think more about why the current arena and ballpark are liked. (I think the people also got to give a lot of input into those facilities as well, poll the bomber fans in the city for a concensus. Don't just build the first thing you come up with)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a vidio of the stadium on http://www.blueandgold.ca

david asper is puting up 65million not 40 and the stadium will cost 140 million not 120

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres a vidio of the stadium on http://www.blueandgold.ca

david asper is puting up 65million not 40 and the stadium will cost 140 million not 120
The stadium portion is 120 the remiander covers the retail portion.. for a total cost of 145Mill.

The retail portion will be covered completely by Asper, including the parkade. The Stadium portion which will be intragated with the retail portion will be covered by Asper and the Gov't. From what I have heard the Feds and the province are supportive of the concept, but will wait until the Bombers deside what they want to annouce any support, as not to add any influence.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan