HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 3:27 PM

The focus on car-centric cities and the NIMBY concern about traffic seems to create a weird urban core killing feedback loop.

Dense areas that generate a lot of "traffic" (choose your method of transportation) also generate a lot of revenue as alluded to in the article. So complaining about the car-traffic a new development will cause is a reductive way of viewing the issue if your solution is to just stop development.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:15 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Moderator announcement:

The ongoing discussion about TakeFive is under review by the mod team and has been moved out of this thread.

Feel free to private message me with any thoughts you may have.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:01 PM

Sent PM

Last edited by Valley Highway; Mar 21, 2024 at 12:27 PM. Reason: PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:39 PM

Well disguised perhaps but my last post concerning a mix of transit and city challenges was intended to be a "passing of the torch;" one last provocative piece of wisdom. It's not like it hasn't crossed my mind many times and I suspect it's a bit like trying to break a bad habit.

Speaking of change

CNN has started giving me pop-ups that state I've reached my limit of articles. Not surprised as its parent company Warner Bros Discovery's stock has been languishing. I enjoyed the site for its depth and breadth. I've already deleted it. As long as I can freely read Reuters I'm good; best site for unadulterated news.

As much as I think politics to be stupid and silly it is fascinating to observe how we divide up into various tribes, how everything has a political flavor. Politico is my go-to site.

Oddly, rideshare, where I utilize my 'other' personality is how I enjoy diversity. Last week I met a lady from Estonia; this week I met a gal from Croatia. Couple of simple questions and they quickly open up about their life in America. Talk about a melting pot... as I melt away.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcowboy View Post
One thing I've learned - if the fire department is against it, it's probably a positive for urban living. Their instincts are suburban and tend towards massive ROWs and large, setback buildings - not just Denver's, but pretty much every FD in the country. They are given a disproportionate voice in urban design that isn't based on practicality or safety but tradition and convenience.

Related: I wish every neighborhood had a station like this one in Five Points: https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!1e2?entry=ttu

And the truck supply started to look more like this: https://ktla.com/news/technology/rid...od-rosenbauer/
My personal favorite is the new station #3 in Arvada, such a great looking building, especially considering we've seemed to have lost the art of designing nice brick structures in this state. They didn't have to place in such a nice looking building into this suburban setting, but I'm glad they did.

https://allredarch.com/projects/muni...ire-station-3/

"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:13 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
My personal favorite is the new station #3 in Arvada, such a great looking building, especially considering we've seemed to have lost the art of designing nice brick structures in this state. They didn't have to place in such a nice looking building into this suburban setting, but I'm glad they did.

https://allredarch.com/projects/muni...ire-station-3/

Bout done shat my pants when I saw this! Great architecture and overall aesthetic.

A little nit, but I will point out a fundamental building challenge in today's trades. Take a look at the brick arch patterns over the garages. See those wavy lines? Notice how it's more like 6-8 bricks in a straight line then a several degree turn for the next 6-8? You'd have to go back about 40 years and this arch pattern would have been perfectly oval with each brick rotating a single degree...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:20 PM

I totally agree on that Arvada Fire Station. My only urban design nitpick is that they set the building back from Kipling and placed a utility area with gas and electric meters behind a screening wall, despite the building and garage doors (where the driveway needs to be) facing south. Seems like it would have been better to put the utility area on the east and pull the brick wall of the building up to the ROW. Good architecture - but still a somewhat suburban site plan.

On the same topic, I'd put in a plug for this new fire station in Broomfield too:

I've also always liked Fire House #1 on 57th in Arvada. Its mid-century architecture isn't as classic as these somewhat-revivalist examples, but it still looks like something you might find in Mayberry. It also has an unfortunate trash/utility area at the corner, but I still love the neighborhood-scale of it. I bet a fire dept. would never approve a driveway that short today though.

Last edited by mr1138; Mar 22, 2024 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:55 PM

Speaking of fire stations I am also fond of the newer South Metro Station 32!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
http://https://denvergazette.com/new...052a7.amp.html

Interesting read. This article could prompt productive discussion. Imo
All this fear about future traffic and not one peep of expanding train service to cherry creek highlight the unseriousness of NIMYs
If there is such a thing as Developer NIMBYs, these folks quoted in the article are it. Seriously, they developed many buildings in CC which led to the very issues they are complaining about. However, now that they got theirs and made their millions, the next project development is suddenly "too much", "too big", "too much traffic", "out of character", etc.,.. Such a self serving sentiment.

That was a very frustrating article.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:45 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

What has the world come to when the Denver Gazette is reposting “news” first reported in the Glendale Cherry Creek Chronicle. Assume this got linked and I missed it, but this: https://glendalecherrycreek.com/2024...-west-project/

The good news about these articles is that they are so shamelessly hypocritical that I doubt they are changing any minds.

My first kid just got into Bromwell. Should make for an interesting six years of getting around. Maybe I’ll propose to the PTA that we go to a three day school week, since we will need Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays reserved for navigating the traffic. (#sarcasm)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
If there is such a thing as Developer NIMBYs, these folks quoted in the article are it. Seriously, they developed many buildings in CC which led to the very issues they are complaining about. However, now that they got theirs and made their millions, the next project development is suddenly "too much", "too big", "too much traffic", "out of character", etc.,.. Such a self serving sentiment.

That was a very frustrating article.
These always always fail to mention things like Wayne New being a former Denver City Council member because his district didn't want his brand of NIMBYism and voted him out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:43 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Moderator announcement #2

We are going to ask everyone to try harder to reserve the Main Development Thread for discussion that's directly related to development, and to use the newly recreated Mountain West Microbrew thread for idle chit chat and random thoughts, including those that are about urbanism but not specifically development.

Do your best to remember. The mod team will do our best to move posts as necessary.

We are going to try this. Hopefully everyone can make it work. If not, perhaps a Plan B will be discussed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I'll put in a shameless plug for Denver Station 39!

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West