HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:45 PM

I used to be able to feel Shea stadium really move. I remember one game last summer, where they played song song with a really strong beat during the 7th inning stretch. Everyone in the upper deck was on their feet, dancing to the beat, and from the deck below, I could see the entire upper deck swinging up and down with each beat a good 6 inches or so. I didn't feel very safe being below it!

I noticed immediatly when I went to Citi Field that this shake isn't there. The Promenade Level is hung in a similar fasion as the Upper Deck was at Shea, but it doesn't move at all. You can barely feel any vibration in it really. The engineers did an excellent job on that stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
So true. If I happen to be crossing the bridge on foot when a big articulated bus pulls onto it, I often will quickly move to the center joint just to get the full bounce of the bridge for fun.
When I'm driving across the George Washington Bridge and traffic comes to a standstill my car starts bouncing like crazy. The part that fascinates me, is that when I start moving, even at the low idle speed of 1-4mph, it's perfectly smooth, but the second I stop (forward velocity = 0) I start bouncing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering