HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 1:42 AM

O'Donnell highlights list of Canadians signed after NFL Draft
The Canadian Press April 25 2020

Canadian Carter O'Donnell will begin his pro football career as an Indianapolis Colt.

The towering University of Alberta offensive lineman agreed to terms with the Colts on Saturday after being bypassed in the 2020 NFL draft. O'Donnell's deal will reportedly include a significant US$25,000 signing bonus.

Other Canadians to secure free-agent deals include Montreal Carabins defensive back Marc-Antoine Dequoy (Green Bay Packers), Brown University defensive lineman Michael Hoecht (Los Angeles Rams) and Simon Fraser receiver Rysen John (New York Giants).

Two Canadians were drafted by NFL clubs, with both being taken Friday night. Notre Dame receiver Chase Claypool, a six-foot-four, 238-pound native of Abbotsford, B.C., went in the second round, No. 49 overall, to the Pittsburgh Steelers before the Dallas Cowboys took Ottawa's Neville Gallimore, a six-foot-two, 304-pound defensive tackle from Oklahoma, in the third round, No. 82 overall.

Both Gallimore and Claypool were 1-2 in the CFL scouting bureau's final top-20 list released last week leading up to draft, which is scheduled for Thursday. But they'll be future picks given where they went in the NFL draft.

O'Donnell (third overall), Hoecht (No. 6), Dequoy (No. 9) and John (No. 18) were also on the scouting bureau's list. However, with NFL deals in tow, the expectation is they'll be later-round picks Thursday.

The six-foot-six, 315-pound O'Donnell, a native of Red Deer, Alta., anchored an offensive line that helped Alberta average 399 yards of total offence and 5.2 yards per rush this season. O'Donnell was a first-team All-Canadian and participated in the East-West Shrine Bowl in Florida.

Upon conclusion of the draft, six NFL teams contacted O'Donnell, giving him the unique ability to weigh offers and respective situations before deciding where to begin his pro football career.

The six-foot-four, 310-pound Hoecht, a native of Oakville, Ont., cracked the final scouting bureau top-20 list after being bypassed on the previous two additions. Hoecht registered 42 tackles, nine tackles for a loss and four sacks last season at Brown.

A former team captain, he appeared in 37 career games with the Bears, recording 174 tackles, 29.5 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries. And Hoecht wasted little time contributing to the program, playing in seven games as a freshman.

"He's big, he's athletic, disruptive," said a CFL GM. "He does a lot of things well.

The six-foot-three, 195-pound Dequoy was a first-team All-Canadian last season. The Carabins star had 37 tackles and three interceptions and accepted an invitation to play in the East-West Shrine Bowl.

Dequoy has posted a sparkling 40-yard dash time of 4.35 seconds last month at Montreal's pro day.

John, a six-foot-seven, 227-pound Vancouver native, had 53 catches for 861 yards and 10 TDs last season with Simon Fraser.

Embarking on an NFL career as an undrafted free agent certainly isn't easy but it's not impossible, either. Among the UFAs to go on and enjoy successful pro tenures include Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (four Pro Bowls), Minnesota defensive lineman John Randle (137.5 sacks over 14 seasons, Pro Football Hall of Famer) and quarterback Warren Moon, who after five straight Grey Cups with the Edmonton Eskimos, played 17 NFL seasons and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This guy might be a future CFLer but for now I will put this here.

Christian Veilleux, a Franco-Ontarian QB from the east end Ottawa suburb of Orleans, has been recruited by the Penn State Nittany Lions. Not sure what a four-star prospect means in NCAA parlance but it sounds pretty good to me. He was courted by several other major NCAA programs.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...-veilleux.html

Veilleux had been playing high school football at a private school in Maryland.

As for seeing him in the CFL at some point, or even the NFL, I was just thinking that Jesse Palmer (also from Ottawa) never amounted to anything. The two guys he played with on the Florida Gators both had decent NFL careers. Jesse spent some time on NFL rosters but played very little. He also very briefly attempted a stint in the CFL (Montreal?) but it sounds like he was more intested in his TV career at that point.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This guy might be a future CFLer but for now I will put this here.

Christian Veilleux, a Franco-Ontarian QB from the east end Ottawa suburb of Orleans, has been recruited by the Penn State Nittany Lions. Not sure what a four-star prospect means in NCAA parlance but it sounds pretty good to me. He was courted by several other major NCAA programs.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...-veilleux.html

Veilleux had been playing high school football at a private school in Maryland.

As for seeing him in the CFL at some point, or even the NFL, I was just thinking that Jesse Palmer (also from Ottawa) never amounted to anything. The two guys he played with on the Florida Gators both had decent NFL careers. Jesse spent some time on NFL rosters but played very little. He also very briefly attempted a stint in the CFL (Montreal?) but it sounds like he was more intested in his TV career at that point.
How about The Bachelor Jesse Palmer? Did he amount to anything?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
He's TSN's NFL Shill.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:24 PM
ハルウララ

Tagentially related to sport culture in Canada: with MLS returning in July for a tournament in Orlando it's been confirmed that national anthems will not be played prior to games.

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...62638390120448

A step in the right direction, IMO.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Tagentially related to sport culture in Canada: with MLS returning in July for a tournament in Orlando it's been confirmed that national anthems will not be played prior to games.

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...62638390120448

A step in the right direction, IMO.
Dare one hope that fake patriotism and militarism may be fading from professional sports entertainment?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Dare one hope that fake patriotism and militarism may be fading from professional sports entertainment?
If that doesn't give you hope...NASCAR just banned the confederate flag from all future races.

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/12...644211719?s=20

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:11 PM

Anthems before sports events are a thing I could definitely live without.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:52 AM

The allegations in a new class action lawsuit against the CHL were very disturbing, to say the least:

https://theprovince.com/news/local-n...7-b21908d2fec2

You have to really wonder about the logic of the Canadian junior hockey system where 16 year olds chasing a dream are forced to move hundreds or in some cases thousands of kilometres away to play away from home while dealing with the pressure of powerful coaches and senior players.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 6:02 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Never heard of him but I don't watch much television. I take it that's a reality show. Any how, good to see people doing well.

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 21, 2020 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The allegations in a new class action lawsuit against the CHL were very disturbing, to say the least:

https://theprovince.com/news/local-n...7-b21908d2fec2

You have to really wonder about the logic of the Canadian junior hockey system where 16 year olds chasing a dream are forced to move hundreds or in some cases thousands of kilometres away to play away from home while dealing with the pressure of powerful coaches and senior players.
When I played hockey growing up I always thought hockey culture was really "off" but never expected to be this disgusting. The worst I ever experienced in sports was an older team mate peeing on my ankle in the shower "as a joke bro" but full on sexual and mental abuse just cannot be tolerated.

Thankfully in the wake of the McGill scandal when I was a teenager hazing became really scaled down with barely any tolerance. I fear what kids 5-10 years older than me had to go through before that revelation.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 8:40 PM
ハルウララ

Canadian F1 driver Nicholas Latifi is asked to speak a few words in his own language.

https://streamable.com/ehll1b

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:28 AM

Apparently the Canadian Hockey League is going to announce their season will start Dec 1. Will be interesting to see how they are going to deal with US teams or non-Canadian players, or what they are going to do about fans in the stands. They don't have any significant TV money to rely on to pay the bills, so they must be assuming they can put people in the seats.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa's Jonathan David has become the most "expensive" Canadian player in soccer history. Lille of the French first division paid 47 million dollars in a transfer agreement to obtain him from Belgium club La Gantoise.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Apparently the Canadian Hockey League is going to announce their season will start Dec 1. Will be interesting to see how they are going to deal with US teams or non-Canadian players, or what they are going to do about fans in the stands. They don't have any significant TV money to rely on to pay the bills, so they must be assuming they can put people in the seats.
Bold assumption. Unless they've been having secret talks with the provincial governments, I can't see them getting approval for it. BC in particular I expect will shut the idea down immediately.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 12:35 PM

Not sure about the other CHL leagues, but the WHL has said that it isn't going to do the hub city thing and it will only play as long as capacity restrictions allow for at least 50% of the seats in every venue being available. That's starting to seem like a bit of a long shot.

There was article in this morning's Winnipeg Free Press which mentioned that some local CHL players are considering junior A as the MJHL doesn't involve interprovincial/cross border travel. MJHL games tend not to draw that many fans to begin with either, so they could probably operate under the current circumstances. Bottom line, it's going to be a very weird season.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 7:12 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not sure about the other CHL leagues, but the WHL has said that it isn't going to do the hub city thing and it will only play as long as capacity restrictions allow for at least 50% of the seats in every venue being available. That's starting to seem like a bit of a long shot.
Not to mention the WHL holding super spreader events will be frowned upon by a good portion of the population. There's no way in hell they can keep people 2m apart getting in and out of their seats, in concourses, lining up for concessions, the washroom, etc. Even 20% full it's next to impossible.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Not to mention the WHL holding super spreader events will be frowned upon by a good portion of the population. There's no way in hell they can keep people 2m apart getting in and out of their seats, in concourses, lining up for concessions, the washroom, etc. Even 20% full it's next to impossible.
Yeah, they came up with that position back in the spring or early summer IIRC when it seemed like it might be reasonable to expect having fans back in the stands.

By contrast, the QMJHL bit the bullet today and announced that it would start on October 1 but with no fans in Quebec (plans are still being sorted out for the Maritimes teams).

https://theqmjhl.ca/article/qmjhl-an...on-october-1st

I suspect the WHL will probably soon realize it's in a position where they either accept no fans or prepare to lose the season.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 9:30 PM

I just don't see how any of the CHL leagues operate without fans to pay the bills. Unless the NHL comes through with some support for their number 1 development league I guess. But the NHL isn't exactly rolling in it right now either to be doling out some cash to 60 or however many teams there are in the CHL.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I just don't see how any of the CHL leagues operate without fans to pay the bills. Unless the NHL comes through with some support for their number 1 development league I guess. But the NHL isn't exactly rolling in it right now either to be doling out some cash to 60 or however many teams there are in the CHL.
Between the number of rich-guy owners who can handle a year or two of losses and maybe at least some help from the NHL, I think the leagues and most of the teams will continue to exist. But some individual franchises with precarious circumstances could be in deep trouble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada