HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
There are actually quite a few of affordable housing projects that are being built around the core and the city approved two 17 story buildings that should start anytime soon.

I completely agree that this is not the location for affordable housing. This is one of the nicest properties in the city and it would give some of the best views in the city. It should be priced as so.
I agree, so that is why what they are proposing for the site makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Doesn’t explicitly have to be “affordable housing” per se. The whole reason we are in this crisis in the first place is a grotesque lack of supply combined with increased demand. Today’s mid-range housing is tomorrow’s affordable housing so I see nothing wrong with building more mid-range or even slightly higher-end stock.
It sounds like this will be that. The problem will be whether the market and the price will meet. Condos are not that popular in Sudbury, so they will need to be priced right and finished right to fill it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:56 PM

Gave some much needed love to the Sudbury Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...reater_Sudbury

Fun fact this is the only Northern Ontario City with a tallest buildings Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 5:24 PM

Meanwhile, in Thunder Bay, projects keep chugging along...

Junot Ave Transitional Housing Project - 58 Units

Huron Ave Housing Project Phase 1 - 24 Units

River Terrace "Luxury Apartments" - 120 Units

Two of the more high-profile projects appear to be delayed:

Suomi Koti (60 Units) and Giwaa on Court (46 Units)

There are some other projects around town like the development of Dawson Court on Algoma along with their Tiny Homes proposal, the infill projects on Junot across from the EMS HQ, and the recent opening of new parcels in Parkdale along with the subdivision between Highway 61 and Mountain Road for development. I didn't include the Hoito project because, well, that's a mess and who knows what will end up happening there.

Still - 2200 new housing starts by 2031? Things are going to have to move a lot faster and some long talked about projects are going to have to be dusted off and put into overdrive. That is ALOT of housing - I was speculating with a friend as to where it might end up happening.

Maybe the Condos at the Golf Course? The proposed subdivision off 20th Side Road south of Nova Drive? Further expansion of Hutton Park? The condo high rise on Adelaide? Condo project on Cumberland? The condos by McVicar's Creek? Is there enough subdivision land and apartment proposals in the city right now to make is happen in 8 years?

Last edited by F. Lionel; Aug 31, 2023 at 5:35 PM. Reason: amending the project list

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Meanwhile, in Thunder Bay, projects keep chugging along...

Still - 2200 new housing starts by 2031? Things are going to have to move a lot faster and some long talked about projects are going to have to be dusted off and put into overdrive. That is ALOT of housing - I was speculating with a friend as to where it might end up happening.

Maybe the Condos at the Golf Course? The proposed subdivision off 20th Side Road south of Nova Drive? Further expansion of Hutton Park? The condo high rise on Adelaide? Condo project on Cumberland? The condos by McVicar's Creek? Is there enough subdivision land and apartment proposals in the city right now to make is happen in 8 years?
There is also the two 5-story condos in Woodcrest which are 24 units each. I believe the second building will be finished shortly.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:47 AM
Urban Fanactic

New 108 Unit Apartment building being built in Sault Ste. Marie at 110 Pim Street. First render I've seen of this building.

Sits on the former site of Tara Hall apartments.
Quote:
Tara Hall was the oldest apartment building in Sault Ste. Marie when fire struck on Nov. 2, 1987. It was boarded up and left vacant, eventually leaving behind only the foundation.
Source: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-hotel-7811305

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 3:32 AM

Looks like site prep for the two 17 story buildings in Sudbury has started. This will have a huge impact on the skyline.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/d...ilding-8014667

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 7:28 AM

It's a shame there aren't more updates out of Thunder Bay and NWO as a whole. I would love to keep abreast of what is happening with our next door neighbour.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 11:35 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
It's a shame there aren't more updates out of Thunder Bay and NWO as a whole. I would love to keep abreast of what is happening with our next door neighbour.
Wanna tell us what’s happening in Kenora and Dryden?
I was just thinking that it was nice to see a Manitoban commenting in here.

It’ll probably never happen in my lifetime, but it’ll be interesting if Kenora grows all the way to Highway 17A (the bypass).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:18 AM

Sudbury voted to build a new downtown arena and event centre.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario