HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

your kidding right? omg this thing has been a land mark for me along the side of the highway since i was a little kid

aww man hes not even in the wiki artical about the highway

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:13 AM
Nigel

Does anyone have any population states for other Manitoba cities with the new 2009 release?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:34 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
your kidding right? omg this thing has been a land mark for me along the side of the highway since i was a little kid
Nope, got a good chuckle and my wife and I stopped to check it out, but alas...no camera.

It would be nice to know the origins of the landmark. Where do you even begin to research? Just advertise in towns along highway 6 I guess.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

who knows but its gotta be the most random thing to find in the midle of nowhere

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:47 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Wow. Looks like Thompson is really growing; Staples, The Brick, etc. I like what I see. Now all we need to do is clean up the scum in town and were set!
There's a shit load of RCMP here so they do clean it up quick and noticibly.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Masons battle harsh climate, massive stones in Manitoba fort restoration

Last Updated: Monday, June 29, 2009 | 10:59 AM CT Comments4Recommend9

The Canadian Press

For something that was supposed to be destroyed by the invading French military 227 years ago, and abandoned for most of the time since, the Prince of Wales Fort in northern Manitoba has proven remarkably resilient.
But even the sturdiest structures eventually need a little tender loving care, so Parks Canada is in the midst of a 10-year, $5-million effort to stabilize the massive stone walls of the fort, which once served as an icy militarized outpost of the fur trade in the northwest.
'We're dealing with some significant challenges here…the stones are massive."Cam Elliott, Parks Canada
It's a mammoth undertaking. The walls of the fort run about one kilometre in length. They are made up of huge stones that weigh up to 2,700 kilograms each, stacked six metres high and a whopping 12 metres thick.
Complicating matters is the fact that the repair work can only be done during the two-month period when the area near Churchill is frost-free, to prevent new mortar from freezing as its sets.
"We're dealing with some significant challenges here … the stones are massive," says Cam Elliott, Parks Canada's superintendent of northern national historic sites.
The fort was built, starting in 1731, by the Hudson's Bay Company as tensions grew between England and France over the resources of the New World. The star-shaped structure with 42 cannons was supposed to protect the mouth of the Churchill River and draw Inuit, Cree and Chipweyan from the northern region into the fur trade.
Conditions were harsh. In the sub-arctic tundra, above the tree line, temperatures were frigid and supplies were sometimes scarce. The fort itself seemed secure. But that security didn't last.
"The irony of this immensely defensible post is that it was easily captured," says Gerald Friesen, a history professor at the University of Manitoba who specializes in the development of the fur trade.
Fort captured without a single shot fired

In a 1782 battle that has gone down in history for its brevity, three French warships took the fort without firing a single shot when they sailed to the mouth of the Churchill River. The fort's governor, Samuel Hearne, decided the handful of men inside were no match for the hundreds of attackers and surrendered.
The French tried to destroy the fort, burning the interior buildings and exploding charges in the cannons, but the walls remained. As decades turned to centuries, the fort was largely forgotten but remained intact. Officials figure the frigid climate helped preserve the mortar over many decades.
In the 1930s the federal government took a renewed interest in the site. In recent years, experts realized much of the mortar was disintegrating and the massive stones were starting to move.
"The mortar has really just turned to sand and dust, and the stones, there's nothing holding them together," Elliot says.
Now stonemasons are taking apart and rebuilding sections of the massive walls, one at a time, using some of the same techniques employed during the fort's construction.
"We have the benefits of modern steel and aluminum scaffolding to put up against a section, and to move stones, we've got electric winches … but in terms of building a stone wall today or repairing a stone wall today, it's exactly the same methods used in the 18th century," Elliott says.
If all goes according to plan, the scaffolding will be gone and the stone will be back in place in 2014.

wow first time i have ever herd of this place :o

image source:http://www.lazybearlodge.com/lazy-be...e-of-wales.php

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 3:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Some day, I am going to get up to Churchill to do the all touristy things.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:56 PM
Armchair urbanist

I was there back in '93 when I was 10. I recall the Fort, Beluga whales, some downed airplane near the shore (along with plenty of little fossils on that same shore). No polar bears though, although being 10, it was probably for the best.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Medical marijuana operation halted in Flin Flon

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 | 4:27 PM CT Comments25Recommend15

CBC News

Prairie Plant Systems, which has grown medical marijuana under contract with the federal government since 2000 has been forced to move its operation out of a Flin Flon mineshaft. (CBC)Medical marijuana is no longer being grown in an old mine shaft in northern Manitoba.
The project's Saskatoon-based owner ceased operations at the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting facility in Flin Flon on June 30.
Prairie Plant Systems has had a contract with Health Canada since late 2000 to grow the medical marijuana. But company president Brent Zettl said he couldn't secure long-term access to the mine because HBMS is closing it down in 2012.
Prairie Plant Systems had planned to expand its grow operation in the mine, but Zettl said that will have to wait.
About 300 Canadians annually receive marijuana grown by Prairie Plant Systems. (CBC)"We haven't formally made an announcement, but certainly [moving out] seems to be the only option at this time," Zettl said. He's holding a meeting next week before a final decision about the expansion.
Jobs for about 18 people from Manitoba and Saskatchewan have been lost as a result of the marijuana operation shutting down.
Zettl has not identified other possible locations for the production of the plants. Health Canada could not be reached for comment about the impact of the Prairie Plant Systems shutdown on supplies.
Ottawa has been a reluctant supplier of pot since a series of court rulings forced it into the medical marijuana business. The government's marijuana program licenses certified medical users to grow their own pot, to have someone grow it for them or to buy it straight from Health Canada.
More than 1,400 Canadians are authorized to possess marijuana for medical purposes. Of those, about 300 people receive the Prairie Plant Systems product. Patients must have the support of their doctors to be considered for authorization.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 12:47 AM
working stiff

I should have visited that place when I was in Flin Flon back in June.

I am sure someone will leak the top-secret location soon enough (I hope they locate the grow-op near Saskatoon...think of the spin-offs ).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Monsanto investing $15M in Prairie facilities

Last Updated: Monday, July 27, 2009 | 2:10 PM CT Comments135Recommend60

CBC News

Monsanto has announced it will spend $15 million over the next two years on infrastructure projects in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
The agricultural biotechnology corporation unveiled plans to construct a new, state-of-the-art Monsanto breeding centre to be located adjacent to the current site of Monsanto's corporate Canadian head office. The office is located at the SmartPark Research and Technology Park on the University of Manitoba campus in Winnipeg.
'Canola is a key strategic commercial imperative for Monsanto's Canadian business and a significant crop for Western Canadian farmers.'— Ryan Baldwin, Monsanto
It also intends to upgrade and expand Monsanto's Crop Technology Research Centre (CTRC) in Saskatoon, with a total investment of $3 million.
Many of the canola hybrids developed by the breeding group will be tested and advanced at this facility, according to a Monsanto press release. As well, all canola trait development and field testing will be managed out of the CTRC.
"Canola is a key strategic commercial imperative for Monsanto's Canadian business and a significant crop for Western Canadian farmers," said spokesperson Ryan Baldwin.
"The investment at SmartPark will allow us to increase synergies between the breeding, product development, supply and commercial aspects of our business to ensure we deliver on the pipeline of new, beneficial crop technologies for our farm customers."
The Winnipeg centre will serve as the home to the majority of the breeding effort for Monsanto's canola business.
Approximately 40 staff involved in line development breeding, breeding support functions and the canola breeding management team will work at the new site, which will also include laboratory facilities for all canola quality analytics, double haploid breeding (tissue culture) and plant pathology.
Plant cultivation facilities such as growth rooms, soil preparation areas and warehouse space are also incorporated into the facility design and will accommodate activities related to canola plant breeding such as crosses, plant cultivation, drying and threshing.
The total cost for construction of the breeding facility is expected to be about $10 million and include an additional $2 million in capital costs.
Construction will begin immediately with an anticipated completion date of June 2010. Monsanto expects the new facility to be fully occupied by December 2010.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:58 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Monsanto is one of the worst companies in the world.

If you knew half the sh*t they pull.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i have seen with my own eyes poot

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Monsanto is one of the worst companies in the world.

If you knew half the sh*t they pull.
Oh I do.

I don't disagree with GM foods and such, but their whole MO vis a vis patents and such piss me off. Suing farmers for their own negligence. Trying to turn farmers into slaves, creating crops that cannot reseed. It's dangerous territory and they know it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:01 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Oh I do.

I don't disagree with GM foods and such, but their whole MO vis a vis patents and such piss me off. Suing farmers for their own negligence. Trying to turn farmers into slaves, creating crops that cannot reseed. It's dangerous territory and they know it.
Even their name freaks me out...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:19 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Oh I do.

I'm usually not on board with the "big business is always bad" crowd but just like you , Monsanto is getting a nasty reputation they seem hell-bent on earning.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Municipalities face new rules for sewage plants

By: Steve Rennie, THE CANADIAN PRESS
6/08/2009 2:00 PM | Comments: 0

OTTAWA - Canadian municipalities will have to bring their sewage treatment plants up to snuff under new regulations to be unveiled by the Harper government later this year.
The new rules will set performance benchmarks, timelines and monitoring and reporting requirements for the country's 4,000 wastewater facilities, Environment Minister Jim Prentice said Thursday in Saint John, N.B.
The regulations will cover all wastewater systems operated by municipalities, the provincial and federal governments, and those on federal or aboriginal lands.
"All jurisdictions will now have to maintain, update, or develop new regulatory tools to implement the Canada-wide strategy," Prentice said, according to a copy of the speech provided by his office.
"We have the strategy. We intend to enforce it with the powers of the Fisheries Act to protect the health of Canadians and the environment."
Facilities that can't afford the upgrades or repairs can apply to Ottawa's infrastructure fund or borrow from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., Prentice said.
More details will emerge when the government publishes draft regulations in December, which are expected to be revised and finalized next year.
The Conservative government has been criticized for announcing only piecemeal projects instead of the national water strategy promised more than two years ago.
This spring, Canada's environment commissioner told a House of Commons committee the Tories have made negligible progress on a national water strategy.
Scott Vaughan said the Tories have made plenty of announcements about the water strategy but they haven't yet followed up with enough action to merit an audit by his office.
"The position of the office is that we don't examine a program if it's based only on a press release," he told MPs in April.
"We did not see any measurable progress in developing a national strategy or a national framework."
Prentice's announcement drew a rebuke Thursday from Liberal MP Francis Scarpaleggia, the party's water critic.
"The Harper government has no vision on this pressing issue," he said in a statement.
The government has ignored Parliament's calls for a national water strategy, he said.
The new wastewater rules come as a soggy summer in some parts of the country pushes sanitary and storm sewers to the brink.
Heavy rainfall in Ottawa has clogged city drains and spilled millions of litres of sewage into the Ottawa River. Beaches have been closed because of high levels of bacteria.
Sewage spills aren't uncommon in Canada.
Oyster and quahog fishing was banned along a six-kilometre stretch of Prince Edward Island's East River in June after a sewage leak was discovered at a treatment facility in a nearby trailer park.
On the West Coast, politicians in Victoria, B.C., recently approved a plan to build four treatment plants to handle the millions of litres of raw sewage the city and surrounding suburbs now dump every day into the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
And a recent report by the environmental group Ecojustice analyzed figures from Ontario's Ministry of the Environment and found billions of litres of untreated sewage have been dumped into the province's waterways.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...ge-plants.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 6:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting

St. Adolphe Bridge Closed Indefinitely
CJOB News Team reporting
8/21/2009

The bridge at St. Adolphe has been closed indefinitely. As you heard Thursday on CJOB, a highways official spotted something that didn't look right. They closed the bridge, and engineers had a closer look. Friday the province says riverbank instability has compromised the structural integrity of the bridge. One of the support beams under the bridge moved three feet since the bridge's last inspection. The department warns motorists, boaters and the general public not to travel, walk or boat under the bridge at any time.

(photo courtesy of Tony Lasko)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 7:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Ramping Up Minnedosa's Ethanol Plant
CJOB News Team reporting
8/24/2009

The Federal government is investing just over 72-million dollars into Husky Energy's ethanol plant in Minnedosa. Grain-based ethanol is touted as a more environmentally friendly fuel compared to gasoline. It's suggested ethanol can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 40 percent on a life-cycle bases. For bio-diesel it's more like 60 percent. Ottawa has committed to spending up to 1.5 billion dollars over nine years through its ecoENERGY for Biofuels program.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
BANNED

^ The whole ethanol charade is a joke, without govt. assistance there would be no ethanol period.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan