HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 5:04 AM
MidtownMile MidtownMile is offline
Spire-ite
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 187
I actually think the squattiness will help in the group. It is not one dominant tower; it is 3 that are more like sculptures in their presence. It's interesting that 1 and 3 especially look like basically the same glass box wrapped in two ways. It is a very nice piece of modern art as well as fine architecture.
__________________
Spire resident.
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
from certain angles, I love it. from others, I hate it. sometimes it looks incredibly squatty to me. I have no idea why though.
Totally agree.

From some angles it looks like a fat stump with a pointy top and on cloudy days it has a dull grayish appearance. But from angles where the "V" is visible, especially on a clear day, it looks fantastic.
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 1:34 PM
ThrashATL's Avatar
ThrashATL ThrashATL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,012
That see through wedge is SICK! Would be nice if it had some subtle yet ebbing/flowing lighting from within that wedge... a slow pulsing glow.
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 3:42 PM
Atlriser's Avatar
Atlriser Atlriser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta - Grant Park
Posts: 967
I think the top is VERY beautiful and as a couple others commented today artistic and modern. I love seeing the steel underneath and can't wait til it's lit everynight.
__________________
I live in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 1:11 AM
ATLksuGUY's Avatar
ATLksuGUY ATLksuGUY is offline
FriskyDingo
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
im just tickled after seeing the structural work in the 'fin'. damn this building is awesome.



Im gonna try to get one with the sun directly behind it, unless one of you beat me to it.
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:25 PM
whiplash3825 whiplash3825 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMile View Post
I actually think the squattiness will help in the group. It is not one dominant tower; it is 3 that are more like sculptures in their presence. It's interesting that 1 and 3 especially look like basically the same glass box wrapped in two ways. It is a very nice piece of modern art as well as fine architecture.
That's true... I was bitching about the squattiness, but I think in the context of the entire complex it works much better. Now that the other buildings are being built at Terminus I feel much better about 100; I was just afraid it was going to be like the typical Atlanta multi-stage project where only the first stage is actually built (a la Promenade, Buckhead Plaza, etc.), and IMO Terminus 100 doesn't translate well as a solitary tower due to the lack of height. Other than that it's a beautiful building and it'll look great alongside the other Terminus buildings.
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:29 PM
whiplash3825 whiplash3825 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 240
Now that I think of it... Buckhead Plaza after all these years has finally been built out... but not a thing like the way it was initially shown. It was supposed to have two more towers like the first but with differing heights, which looked cool to me in the 80s when it was first proposed. Unfortunately the design of the first tower hasn't aged well IMO, so maybe it's good two more similar towers weren't built.
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 7:35 PM
MidtownMile MidtownMile is offline
Spire-ite
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash3825 View Post
That's true... I was bitching about the squattiness, but I think in the context of the entire complex it works much better. Now that the other buildings are being built at Terminus I feel much better about 100; I was just afraid it was going to be like the typical Atlanta multi-stage project where only the first stage is actually built (a la Promenade, Buckhead Plaza, etc.), and IMO Terminus 100 doesn't translate well as a solitary tower due to the lack of height. Other than that it's a beautiful building and it'll look great alongside the other Terminus buildings.
Absolutely. For it to stand on its own, it would have needed to be taller (somewhat significantly). And, that is a risky design for that reason. However, given Atlanta's current trends and Buckhead's current trends, I will give them that the risk of not going forward with at least one of the two other towers (which would have works as long as two towers stood there) was low.

Bottom line, it works, although I understand the hesitation if it was a solitary tower.
__________________
Spire resident.
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:09 PM
ReallyTired ReallyTired is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Posts: 60
Thumbs down

I hate it.

To me, it seems like it is from the artistic vision of a trashy K Mart shopper looking for some pink curlers on a Saturday night at 8pm and dreaming of one day becoming an architect as she pulls into the KMart parking lot in her 79 Dodge, dressed to the hilt in her bathrobe. She dreams:

It should be a basic squatty box.
No, no good. Too basic, too bland.
Take a slice out of it. Ooo, that's better - but not quite there yet.
Add a little back.
There done.

"Maam, you're short 67 cents for the curlers and gum."

"Oh, sorry. I was daydreaming."
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:37 PM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,243
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:49 PM
Atlriser's Avatar
Atlriser Atlriser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta - Grant Park
Posts: 967
This building is gorgeous. To really appreciate it you have to be standing close and see the beauty of the materials choosen to cover the exterior and then you get a true sense of how beautiful it is on the skyline from a distance.
__________________
I live in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 11:44 PM
john3eblover's Avatar
john3eblover john3eblover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyTired View Post
I hate it.

To me, it seems like it is from the artistic vision of a trashy K Mart shopper looking for some pink curlers on a Saturday night at 8pm and dreaming of one day becoming an architect as she pulls into the KMart parking lot in her 79 Dodge, dressed to the hilt in her bathrobe. She dreams:

It should be a basic squatty box.
No, no good. Too basic, too bland.
Take a slice out of it. Ooo, that's better - but not quite there yet.
Add a little back.
There done.

"Maam, you're short 67 cents for the curlers and gum."

"Oh, sorry. I was daydreaming."
...and we have the winner of the weirdest post of the year award
__________________
Hudson-Photography
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:23 AM
CHAPINM1's Avatar
CHAPINM1 CHAPINM1 is offline
JoeCooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,357
This is building is perfect for what it is. Great design, great angles, great facade, and great lighting at night! I'm not gonna bitch, I wouldn't change a thing about it.
__________________
A voice for the fallen.
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted May 10, 2007, 8:06 PM
ATLBlaxican ATLBlaxican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 316
Can someone take pictures of the crown at hight??? Thanks!
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted May 10, 2007, 8:16 PM
SteveD's Avatar
SteveD SteveD is offline
Back on the road again
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East Atlanta Village
Posts: 2,031
I'm still reeling from the Kmart post...
__________________
Maybe Martians could do better than we've done
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted May 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
gttx's Avatar
gttx gttx is offline
Urban Explorer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,052
I heard just now on the radio that there were firetrucks at the intersection of Peachtree and Piedmont, apparently because of a fire at "one of the buildings under construction." Anyone know anything about this?
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted May 11, 2007, 1:42 AM
Ersh's Avatar
Ersh Ersh is offline
Legomancer
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Back in the ATL!
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlaxican View Post
Can someone take pictures of the crown at hight??? Thanks!
Been meaning to take this for a while.


     
     
  #298  
Old Posted May 11, 2007, 1:59 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TXpatriate
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ersh View Post
Been meaning to take this for a while.


whoa thats sooo nice! Its nice to see this building is finally complete.
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:47 AM
atl2phx's Avatar
atl2phx atl2phx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,408
that night shot is absolutely stunning!
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:29 AM
sabino86's Avatar
sabino86 sabino86 is offline
Apathetic...and Loving It
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
that night shot is absolutely stunning!
I drove down GA 400 this evening, the pictures don't do this baby justice.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.