HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:00 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 469
I'm glad also, to see this back on the board!!
I am confident this WILL get built!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:00 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
In one of the comments made on the new Frost Tower: "Shouldn't the new Frost Bank skyscraper be taller?". A comment made in response to the lack of development and disapproval of the many highrises that have some to the attention of HDRC. Also, the Grand Hyatt- it went through years of development hell as a result of its hight and "glass". HDRC did not want the new hotel to supass the Tower of Americas. In addition are the many restrictions in and around the Alamo complex. If this were a research article and part of something for work, I would make time to point to the many relevant and contradicting statements (the comment section) made in many of the HDRC final reports.
How does the comment made by the vice chair of the HDRC that the Frost tower should be taller support your claim that the HDRC is opposed to taller buildings? I will pay you five million internet bucks if you can make me understand.

To keep on topic, that is a very plain building. I hope their landscaping plan is as ambitious as the renderings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:52 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
In one of the comments made on the new Frost Tower: "Shouldn't the new Frost Bank skyscraper be taller?". A comment made in response to the lack of development and disapproval of the many highrises that have some to the attention of HDRC. Also, the Grand Hyatt- it went through years of development hell as a result of its hight and "glass". HDRC did not want the new hotel to supass the Tower of Americas. In addition are the many restrictions in and around the Alamo complex. If this were a research article and part of something for work, I would make time to point to the many relevant and contradicting statements (the comment section) made in many of the HDRC final reports.
The HDRC never said nor is it their policy to never have a hotel or any building surpass the Tower of the Americas. The Grand Hyatt never lingered in development hell. Once the city decided they wanted the city decided they wanted to partner with a private developer and build a new convention center hotel, the process was fairly quit. There was once a taller slender multicolored design that everyone liked but the developer changed the design on their own, not because of the HDRC.

Maybe you’re also thinking the old Sheraton development was part of the same public/private venture that birthed the Grand Hyatt. It was not. That was a separate project that went away because if 9/11 killing the tourism industry for a few years.

Again, this misconception about the HDRC, one I used to believe l, is just not true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 7:38 PM
kmack kmack is offline
looking at plans...
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: stuck in my office
Posts: 59
The only thing I can see as a possible delay to this project right now.

...from Structural Design drawings...
"The project intends to create two openings thru the existing river wall to connect the main building to the Riverwalk. At this time, the process for allowing modifications to the existing river wall is being determined and the search for the structural drawings of the existing river wall is on-going.[emphasis added] Therefore at this time this area is on hold and the structural support walls and foundations are TBD."

Anybody happen to see those drawings lately?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:10 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
While there are a few design restrictions downtown, they are not as onerous as you describe (source: I've had projects reviewed by HDRC including some in the various RIO overlays). We need only look at the multiple boring hotel boxes as proof. Yes, the river area properties are reviewed for shadow casting, but it makes perfect sense to avoid a dark canyon that prevents sunlight from reaching the plants down below.

Point of Clarification: there is NOT any current restriction regarding the obstruction of views of the Hays St. Bridge. The ONLY view restriction downtown is a single one directly in front of the Alamo (again, which makes perfect sense). Right now, Austin has THIRTY view corridors in their downtown, so it's not like San Antonio is trying to prevent development.
There are no restrictions, though that does not mean they are not going to use that as reason to stop or hault construction, or impede future developments, as illustrated in the following example:

http://nowcastsa.com/blogs/after-wid...-street-bridge
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:00 AM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 747
That rooftop deck is gonna have a killer view of the Tower Life building!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 10:58 AM
Txdev Txdev is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 122
I agree HDRC is usually looking more at context than absolute height. They also have other preferences that are more subjective, but important to them, like the desire for tall building to have a base, a middle, and a top, which this building doesn’t really do.

So a while back the developer decided to redesign and have parking in a separate structure that didn’t exist, on land they didn’t own. I guess they figured that out? Anyone know details? SirKW?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:04 PM
Restless One Restless One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
I agree HDRC is usually looking more at context than absolute height. They also have other preferences that are more subjective, but important to them, like the desire for tall building to have a base, a middle, and a top, which this building doesn’t really do.

So a while back the developer decided to redesign and have parking in a separate structure that didn’t exist, on land they didn’t own. I guess they figured that out? Anyone know details? SirKW?
I believe they are putting the parking garage on land they acquired across the street, which is why it went from 28 stories to 24.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:20 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I believe they are putting the parking garage on land they acquired across the street, which is why it went from 28 stories to 24.
That's exactly what high-maintenance rich people in a luxury residential want... inconvenient parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:29 PM
Montirob Montirob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's exactly what high-maintenance rich people in a luxury residential want... inconvenient parking.
Yeah... seems counter-intuitive to me as well, but I'd rather have residential activity just above the riverwalk vs. a parking garage for a couple of floors. (I now remember reading about the developer buying a lot across the street)

Maybe they'll build a skybridge like HEB?

The GOOD news is, even with the reduction in floors, that the height of the building is almost the same (within a foot) of the new Frost tower, so it will still have an impact on the skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:58 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yeah... seems counter-intuitive to me as well, but I'd rather have residential activity just above the riverwalk vs. a parking garage for a couple of floors. (I now remember reading about the developer buying a lot across the street)
I don't care if there's parking on floors 2-23 as long as there's ground floor retail. Now I assume they'll build a garage across the street with NO RETAIL and all street-facing garage. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.


Here's a pretty parking garage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4224...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:16 PM
Montirob Montirob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I don't care if there's parking on floors 2-23 as long as there's ground floor retail. Now I assume they'll build a garage across the street with NO RETAIL and all street-facing garage. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.


Here's a pretty parking garage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4224...7i13312!8i6656
CoSA requires 1st floor retail space for parking garages. It hasn't always worked particularly well, but where it HAS worked (Houston St. next to the Majestic, for example), the pedestrian friendly streetscape is maintained.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 12:24 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
counting electric sheep
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 48,769
Does anyone know what uses the tower will have? I know it'll be residential, but I remember reading once that it would have office space, but then it would be less office space. Are they still planning any office space? And will it have retail?
__________________
Smoke marijuana, not Americans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:12 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
counting electric sheep
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Roof elevation: 368'-2
Top of cooling tower @ Roof elevation: 384'-2
Question: Is the cooling tower (air conditioning unit itself) exposed or is it enclosed by some sort of architectural element like a parapet (wall)?
__________________
Smoke marijuana, not Americans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 8:51 PM
kmack kmack is offline
looking at plans...
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: stuck in my office
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Question: Is the cooling tower (air conditioning unit itself) exposed or is it enclosed by some sort of architectural element like a parapet (wall)?
Arch shows a louvered screen wall along with a partial parapet wall near the elevator equipment house.

Quote:
Does anyone know what uses the tower will have?
Lvl 1 - Lobby, 2 Retail Spaces
Lvl 2-22 - Apartments
Lvl 23 - Leasing Office, Tenant storage, Mechanical
Lvl 24 - Pool, Club Rm, Catering, Gym, Yoga...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:47 PM
babysal's Avatar
babysal babysal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Hopeful

I'm still holding out hope that something will get built at this location. I think Six months will be a good indicator of whether or not this residential tower gets built.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:36 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Arch shows a louvered screen wall along with a partial parapet wall near the elevator equipment house.


Lvl 1 - Lobby, 2 Retail Spaces
Lvl 2-22 - Apartments
Lvl 23 - Leasing Office, Tenant storage, Mechanical
Lvl 24 - Pool, Club Rm, Catering, Gym, Yoga...
Lvl 1 - Lobby, 2 Retail Spaces
Lvl 2-22 - Apartments
Lvl 23 - Leasing Office, Tenant storage, Mechanical
Lvl 24 - Pool, Club Rm, Catering, Gym, Yoga...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:51 PM
Tornado Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 71
Just saw CD's for this one with our estimator. No 100% drawings yet but it definitely looks like they are wanting to move forward.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 3:33 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 524
Anyway, it looks like this thing is still alive, as it's on the HDRC agenda for December 19.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 3:45 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Anyway, it looks like this thing is still alive, as it's on the HDRC agenda for December 19.
Well, that's healthy news. Let's hope we get anothe 400 footer. We need it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.