HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 2:58 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Arrow SAN ANTONIO | Suburban and Metro Development Thread

The San Antonio Metropolitan Update thread is where I and I hope all other San Antonio posters will for now on post all the development news for things happening outside of downtown here. Since someone in another thread suggested this I thought it was a great idea so I decided to start iot myself. I know I am missing a ton of stuff but this is just the start of this thread. What I have so far is just the basic stuff at the top of my head. I will update this thread as time goes on. Please let me know of any I have not posted yet or have not in the future. So far this is just mainly retail, I will add more residential and office projects soon.

San Antonio Suburban and Metropolitan Update

-North Central-

Quarry Village > Mixed-Use > 155,000 Square Feet
Details: 105,000 square feet of specialty retail, 50,000 square feet of office and 280 multi family units

Park North Plaza > Retail > 1 Million Square Feet
Details: Along with nearly one million square feet of retail a Aloft hotel is also planned

Alon Towne Center > Mixed-Use > 330,000 Square Feet
Details: 230,000 square feet of retail anchored by a HEB/Central Market hybrid and 100,000 square feet of office

-Northwest-

Crossroads Mall Expansion > Retail > 180,000 Square Feet
Details: Expansion Crossroads Mall in Balcones Heights on SA's northwest side. Some 180,000 square feet of new retail will be added

-Far North Central-

Bulverde Marketplace > Retail > 750,000
Details: Anchors to include Best Buy, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Office Depot

Legacy > Mixed-Use > 700,000 Square Feet
Details: Will include 600,000 square feet of retail, 100,000 square feet of office, two hotels with one being an Aloft the other a Marriott Hotel brand and 300 multi family residential units. Anchors include Best Buy, Lifetime Fitness, Sportsmans Warehouse and more

Stone Ridge Market > Retail > 350,000 Square Feet
Details: Tenants to include HEB Plus!, Which Wich, PetsMart, Sports Authority, Chipotle, Circuit City and more

Hill Country Plaza > Retail > 400,000 Square Feet
Details: Anchor will be Academy Sports and Outdoors

Village at Stone Oak > Retail > 700,000 Square Feet
Details: Within the retail development there will be approximately 700,000 square feet of retail, including approximately 300,000 square feet of upscale lifestyle retail/restaurant

The Park Place at Stone Oak > Mixed-Use > 23-Acres
Details: 100,000 square feet of retail, 425-room Sheraton hotel, 2,500-seat entertainment venue complete with sky boxes, Emeril Lagasse restaurant, 40 lane underground bowling alley and more. Planned for a summer 2008 completion

Tacara > Mixed-Use > 900,000 Square Feet
Details: Will include retail, entertainment, office, restaurant, and residential space with a rumored tenant being Trader Joe's grocery store

Cibolo Canyon PGA Tour Resort > Mixed-Use > 1,300-Acres
Details: This Billion dollar development will include a 1,000 room JW Marriott hotel, two 18-hole golf courses, 1,000 residential homes and much more

The Reflection > Mixed-Use > 500,000 Square Feet
Details: Multifamily housing, multi-story parking garage, amphitheater, boutique theater, restaurants, high-end hotels, retail and office

-Far Northeast-

Gateway Plaza > Mixed-Use > 1.2 Million Square Feet
Details: Will consist of nearly 1 milion square feet of retail and 270,000 square feet of office

Cibolo Town Center > Mixed-Use > 550,000 square feet
Details: Mainly retail with a hotel. Proposed anchors include Super Target and Home Depot

Dorado Development > Retail > 250,000 Square Feet
Details: Under construction in Schertz, calls for 250,000 square feet of retail with the anchor tenant being a 175,000 square foot Lowe's

-Far Northwest-

The Rim > Mixed-Use > 6 Million Square Feet on 800-Acres
Details: Planned to include nearly 3 million square feet of retail, 1 million square feet of office, three hotels one of them 13 stories, thousands of residential units including single family homes, townhomes and condos

The Shops at the Rim > Retail > 2 Million Square Feet
Details: Main anchors are Bass Pro Shops, Sanitko's Pallidium theater with Junior Anchors including JC Penny, Target, Best Buy, World Market, etc

The Village at the Rim > Mixed-Use > 500,000 Square Feet
Details: Will include the 13-story Hotel Talavera as well as 260,000 square feet of upscale and highend retailers, 100,000 square feet of office and an as of yet undisclosed number of residential units

Galo Properties & Fulcrum Group Development > Mixed-Use > 1.6 Million Square Feet
Details: Was formerly the Turnberry project "Regal Hills" and proposed as a 1 million square foot power center. Recently two San Antonio developers bought the property and now plan 1 million square feet of office, 600,000 square feet of retail and 1,500 residential units. The name of the development will also be changed

La Joya > Mixed-Use - 250-Acres
Details: Not much is known about this project but renderings do show highrises, office, retail, school, library, housing, outdoor theater and more. To be built adjacent to the Fulcrum Group/Galo Properties develpment above

The Shops at La Cantera Phase II > Mixed-Use > 300,000 Square Feet
Details: The expansion at La Cantera will be completed in the fall of 2008 and will feature an additional 300,000 square feet of premier shopping, Class-A office space, and signature restaurants.

Rialto Village > Mixed-Use > 250,000 square feet
Information: 110,000 square feet of retail, 54,000 square feet of office, 34 residential units

-Far West-

Westover Square > Retail > 500,000 Square Feet
Details: Possible tenants include Border's, Academy, Best Buy

Potranco Market > Retail > 800,000 Square Feet
Details: Proposed anchors are rumored to be Super Target and Lowe's plus movie theater and fitness club

Potrano Village > Retail > 250,000 Square Feet
Details: Northeast corner of Potranco and 1604; tenants to include Academy and Pei Wei

Westwood Center > Retail > 300,000 Square Feet
Details: Not too much is known about this development

Alamo Ranch Marketplace > Retail > 900,000 square feet
Details: Anchors will be Super Target, Lowe's; Junior Anchors inlcude Best Buy, JC Penny, Dick's Sporting Goods

Massive Alamo Ranch Development > Mixed-Use > 2+ Million Square Feet
Detail: 1 million square feet of office, 400,000 square feet of retail, a hospital campus, a hotel and nearly 500 multi-family units. All adjacent to Alamo Ranch Marketplace in the red outline

Stevens Ranch Town Center > Retail > 1.1 Million Square Feet
Details: Leasing for this center in far west Bexar county began a few months ago planned opening for 2009

-South-

Mission Mercado > Retail > 120,000 Square Feet
Details: Currently Under Construction

-Southeast-

City Base West > Retail > 450,000 Square Feet
Details: No known tenants as of yet

Dorado Development > Retail > 300,000 Square Feet
Details: 250,000 square foot retail center anchored by 175,000 square foot Lowe's to be built on Goliad Road across from the recently built 550,000 (phase one) City-Base Landing retail center that is currently 100% leased

-Far South Side-

The Preserve at Medina River > Mixed-Use > 532-acres
Details: Will include 1,200 single-family homes, 360 multifamily units and 65-acres of commercial land with 500,000 square feet of retail

Espada > Mixed-Use > 2,000-Acres
Details: A mix of student housing, apartments, town houses and a mixed-use town center all on a fairly tight street grid designed for easy movement on foot or bike.

-New Braunfels-

Creekside > Mixed-Use > 2.5 Million Square Feet
Details: Westcreek will include 1.2 million square feet of retail, office, medical campus, housing and two or three hotels plus a 18-hole golf resort

Dorado Development > Retail > 300,000 Square Feet
Details: Anchored by a 175,000 square foot Lowe's with a 110,000 square foot shopping center adjacent. To be built next to 2.5 million square foot Creekside development

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Oct 28, 2007 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 2:58 PM

Medical - Hospitals

MEDICAL - HOSPITALS

-Northwest-

STOH Cancer Center > Medical Center > 130,000 Square Feet
Details: 130,000 square foot medical building

-Far North Central-

Methodist Stone Oak Hospital > Stone Oak > 350 Beds
Details: 350 bed hospital with a 120,000 square foot attached medical complex

-Far West-

CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital > Westover Hills > 150 Beds
Details: 150 bed hospital with 60,000 square foot attached medical building

Baptist Hospital > Westover Hills > 250 Beds
Details: 250 bed hospital with adjacent 60,000 square foot medical building

Need help with:
  • - Methodist Hospital in Westover Hills
  • - Hospital Campus at Alamo Ranch

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 4:42 PM

I like the format you presented. Really cool! Thanks for the consolidation. Makes it much easier to understand what is going on in SA. Now if we could only get the same data in other big Texas cities!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 5:46 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

GOOD GRIEF thats alot of retail!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 6:01 PM

sirkingwilliam.... make sure you put in there the 2nd phase of the shops at la cantera... it is being done by alamo architects and looks very similar to the shops at the rim, but will have office on 2nd floor and no residential (as of yet
)!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 6:01 PM

WOW! Thats a lot of shopping centers. I know SA is booming but can it support ALL of that retail?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 6:54 PM
Meh

Dude, that is freaking awesome! I like the thumbnail idea. Makes it easier to read the info about each project then go on to view them if you're so inclined. And I like how you have everything listed according to what area of the city it's located. Very cool.

I have one request, though. If you know of any companies involved with these projects, such as the developers or architects, do post them. Especially with anything that has any kind of height with it. I'd be interested in trying to get some heights for a few of these, that one with the campanile (Rialto Village), is especially interesting. Also if you know of any links to these projects, such as sales info, or developer's info about them, that would be good to have included.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttwentyeight View Post
sirkingwilliam.... make sure you put in there the 2nd phase of the shops at la cantera... it is being done by alamo architects and looks very similar to the shops at the rim, but will have office on 2nd floor and no residential (as of yet
)!
Yeah, I didn't post a lot of stuff, everything I posted I did yesterday and forgot to post it so I posted it this morning with the idea of adding on today. The one thing I want to do is have renderings or pictures of some sort of every project I post. Is there any pictures or renderings of phase II for The Shops online?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 1:00 AM
James

That is a lot of stuff. I just wish downtown could equal this growth. I don't mind all of the sprawl stuff, its fun to see how how massive it is. It's still shock to me how fast our lovely city is growing.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 1:11 AM

I think I should do one for Houston...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 7:20 AM

The population is there and growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird9 View Post
WOW! Thats a lot of shopping centers. I know SA is booming but can it support ALL of that retail?
I know it may seem like commercial developers are overbuilding in suburban San Antonio but apparently all of the building is warranted. Much research is put into just one of these big projects by market analysts before the first shovel of dirt is turned. So if there is this much development going on that means the people are either already there or are coming to these areas.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:40 PM

For another cool idea, check out www.urbanaustin.org wiki if you haven't already run across this site. It's a nice reference, and retains itself because no thread can push it to the bottom. Many of us reference it quite often.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:03 PM

I've done something similar with Google Maps. I'll post a link soon.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:55 AM

Here is the link:

San Antonio Suburban and Metro Developments Map!

I haven't mapped a lot of the stuff yet nor detailed it too much but I'll do that as soon as I have free time.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 10, 2007 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:29 AM

all this is prety nice. i do like the urbanaustin.com

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:11 PM

Added:

2 Southeast Developments
-City Base West
-250,000 square foot shopping center anchored by 175,000 square foot Lowe's.

1 South Development
-Mission Mercado

1 Far Northeast/Schertz Development
-250,000 square foot shopping center anchored by 175,000 square foot Lowe's.

1 New Braunfels Development
-300,000 square foot retail center anchored by 175,000 square foot Lowe's.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 10, 2007 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 6:42 PM
James

With the New Braunfels extension to 410 on the southside. That will be the only street in San Antonio that connects 410 north-and south. Hell, it will the only street in the city that connects one side of 410 to the other. Military Drive takes a turn north on the east side. Too bad New Braunfels is closed by Ft. Sam or it could have been a major side street for 281/37.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 7:48 PM
passion for patterns

is nobody concerned or upset that 99% of this is suburban stuff you can find in any other city?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
is nobody concerned or upset that 99% of this is suburban stuff you can find in any other city?
Not to sound snotty but didn't you read the title? This thread was made for that exact purpose. All the developments posted are suburban developments. There's a San Antonio downtown/urban development update thread that is sticked at the top. This was made so there wouldn't be too many new threads made for developments. Instead one single thread with a run down of all things happening in suburban/metro SA.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 8:12 PM
Meh

A lot of that stuff looks pretty good actually. Sure it's suburban due to its location, (this is the only problem I have), but I wouldn't call it typical suburban sprawl. Atleast it does have some style to it rather than just souless boxes surrounded by acres of parking lots. Some of those even look to be well thought out with good landscaping and pedestrian inspired design. True, it's out in the boonies so you'd need a car to get to, but once you're there you can walk from one shop to the next.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio