HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:26 PM

Until somewhere between 1920 and 1930, San Antonio was the biggest city in Texas, and one could argue, the most important. Of course Spindletop discovery was around 10-15 years history at this time, and the ship channel was fairly new, so Houston quickly passed us in population and importance.

Meanwhile, Dallas was becoming becoming a boom town in it's own right, thanks to cotton, oil, and nearby Fort Worth being a booming cattle center.

The point of this little History lesson is to show that San Antonio likely would have ranked higher up the list wwmiv provided in 1920 than we do today. We have generations of small thinkers to thank for that.

Houston made itself a major port destination, and Dallas used it's many avenues of access to make itself an banking center as well as cotton and oil.

Meanwhile, San Antonio was twiddling it's thumbs, relying on the Military, and eventually tourism, to lead us to prosperity. Government provides prosperity to nobody but it's own bureaucrats, and tourism, only for a select few in position to take advantage.

Eventually, with the Riverwalk, and Hemisfair, San Antonio began taking it's head out of the sand, and we saw an uptick in development, but not necessarily economic diversity. The top two simply switched places.

Now, we are seeing some real changes, with Frost Tower, Gray Street, and Weston Urban, the transformation of the Pearl, the growth of the Schertz area, and our renewed focus on Broadway. These are good things.

There are a few on this site that see any mention of San Antonio's shortcomings as instigation or baiting. That is a fascist technique to shut down conversation. If they think they have greater affection for San Antonio than the rest of us, they are most certainly wrong.

San Antonio has always been an inspirational place, what with the Alamo and it's story. It is the Cradle of Texas Liberty. It has had times of incredible forward movement, but has had idle times, as well as some backsliding. This isn't instigating, or baiting, it's just the way it is.

Salud!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:48 AM

For most of us here, this site is to celebrate & discuss SA's many achievements & projects. Now, there are a few of ya'll that want to put down, talk negatively, or "mention short comings" of SA, Im not really sure why, but this isnt the place for that. I'm sure there are other sites out there for you to do so. Oh, but then you wouldn't get the responses you so desperately need! If this fit you, (you know who you are) please think before you post from now on.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
For most of us here, this site is to celebrate & discuss SA's many achievements & projects. Now, there are a few of ya'll that want to put down, talk negatively, or "mention short comings" of SA, Im not really sure why, but this isnt the place for that. I'm sure there are other sites out there for you to do so. Oh, but then you wouldn't get the responses you so desperately need! If this fit you, (you know who you are) please think before you post from now on.
Your first sentence is absolutely correct. But this is a discussion forum and all opinions are welcome unless they go against forum rules.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:23 PM

I never said anyone cant post here. Simply suggested that negative people that want to bash might find other sites out there for that sort of thing. Oh, but wait, then they wouldn't get those responses they so (& im going to use a better word this time) pathetically need. Nothing more need to be said on the matter.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:16 AM

Meh. You are not the arbiter of when a discussion is closed. Check your privilege.

If you would actually investigate the history of all of these discussions, you would see there was a healthy back and forth of the good and bad decisions that have made San Antonio.

For example: most here see the Grand Hyatt as an eyesore, what most here call a "wall".

That is not denigrating San Antonio, but it is calling attention to the fact that, even then, we deserved better. There were initial renderings of the Grand Hyatt, that we thought were better, myself included. Feel free to read through that thread.

I don't care if my comments get a response. They are my opinions, and if someone responds, then okay.

Like it or not, this is a forum for both positive and negative responses to what is going on in San Antonio. I think what is going on is mostly positive. Hell, I post it when I see it. I still think it is overdue. I've lived here a long time. I've seen our leaders sell San Antonio short.

Comments like yours sell San Antonio short. We're tough. We're Texans, and we can take it. It makes us better.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:34 AM
Meh

Ad nauseum blah. All this world class city talk reminds me of the people who pay attention to beauty pageants as something to pay attention to for some reason.

I will just say that knowing your weaknesses and not ignoring them can lead to making them into areas of strength. It isn't bashing a city to criticize something about it, be that road conditions, its airport vitality, job market or even something seemingly unimportant (to the laymen) as architecture. Just because someone's assessment of a situation might be negative or if they display frustration about it doesn't mean they're automatically beating up on a place just to be mean or biased against it. It can even be the opposite where they are attempting to give it a nudge in what they believe is the right direction.

Opinions are going to reflect facts and figures sometimes to the chagrin of someone else.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 9:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ad nauseum blah. All this world class city talk reminds me of the people who pay attention to beauty pageants as something to pay attention to for some reason.

I will just say that knowing your weaknesses and not ignoring them can lead to making them into areas of strength. It isn't bashing a city to criticize something about it, be that road conditions, its airport vitality, job market or even something seemingly unimportant (to the laymen) as architecture. Just because someone's assessment of a situation might be negative or if they display frustration about it doesn't mean they're automatically beating up on a place just to be mean or biased against it. It can even be the opposite where they are attempting to give it a nudge in what they believe is the right direction.

Opinions are going to reflect facts and figures sometimes to the chagrin of someone else.
This is the internet, I'm going to have to ask you to stop being reasonable.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 12:31 PM
Meh

There's a San Antonio photo thread in the my city photos section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=236475

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:28 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There's a San Antonio photo thread in the my city photos section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=236475
Any chance we can make that sticky on the SA page? That is fabulous.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
This is an example of how the Frost Tower could have retained its shape and design with the parking garage included in the height of the design. I previously believed the new Frost Tower could not have had both in preserving its shape, especially at ground level facing N. Flores Street. I feel as more time goes by that the Frost Tower is going to become exemplified as what future developments (if any of this scale) should not do and what can be done to better the downtown skyline of San Antonio. Of recent, the garage has by far been the biggest disappointment, making this altogether project a "okay, we got it, let's move on" development. When walking around the tower at ground level, one gets the feel of concrete and missed opportunities, a feeling that is not one you should have when being close to two parks on both ends of the Tower.

https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...ight-increase/

Hooray for Austin, and the added height on that Republic building!!
BTW, are they getting the Amazon HQ2?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:24 PM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:49 AM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post

So WHAT HAPPENED?
I thought Austin was a front runner in the HQ2 competition?

Today, i read that Nashville is getting 5,000 Amazon jobs as well as the other two cities!! Interesting!!
Not good for Austin, though.
Thought SA could get some over spill had Amazon relocated to Austin

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:23 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
So WHAT HAPPENED?
I thought Austin was a front runner in the HQ2 competition?

Today, i read that Nashville is getting 5,000 Amazon jobs as well as the other two cities!! Interesting!!
Not good for Austin, though.
Thought SA could get some over spill had Amazon relocated to Austin
There was never really a front runner until recently when Amazon stopped communicating with finalist cities. If there ever was a speculative front runner, it was always Washington D.C., because Bezos bought a section of homes in D.C. and turned it into a compound plus many speculated he wanted to position Amazon near lawmakers.

In the end, I never believed HQ2 was ever going to be what Amazon promised, a mini tech hub of some 50k high paying tech jobs. Nor do I believe this promise of New York and DC getting 25k jobs will come to fruition either.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
There was never really a front runner until recently when Amazon stopped communicating with finalist cities. If there ever was a speculative front runner, it was always Washington D.C., because Bezos bought a section of homes in D.C. and turned it into a compound plus many speculated he wanted to position Amazon near lawmakers.

In the end, I never believed HQ2 was ever going to be what Amazon promised, a mini tech hub of some 50k high paying tech jobs. Nor do I believe this promise of New York and DC getting 25k jobs will come to fruition either.

Interesting thoughts on HQ2....

Though, I did hear news reports on ABC and CNN a while back that Austin might be the front runner. I guess that was all speculation.
So you move on Austin.......

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Interesting thoughts on HQ2....

Though, I did hear news reports on ABC and CNN a while back that Austin might be the front runner. I guess that was all speculation.
So you move on Austin.......
Austin (and Dallas, for that matter) got played just like every other city that spent millions preparing bids and turning over infrastructure plans to the Amabeast! Nice to see someone other than SA getting the rug pulled out from under them for a change.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

I've stopped giving Amazon my business. Bezos is proving himself to be kinda evil.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPaul View Post
Austin (and Dallas, for that matter) got played just like every other city that spent millions preparing bids and turning over infrastructure plans to the Amabeast! Nice to see someone other than SA getting the rug pulled out from under them for a change.
I felt like I was in the minority at the time, but I was actually happy San Antonio pulled out of the Amazon HQ2 beauty pageant. From the start it felt like Amazon was just looking to see which city would sell out the most to have them.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:20 PM

San Antonio was always a long shot at best. A “so you’rr saying there’s a chance” type of shot. Not submitting probably made sense. I just hated the dum “aw shucks” public letter they released when they did. Golly gee! It made the city look Like a bunch of local yokels.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPaul View Post

Well, to choose Nashville for the extra 5000 jobs over Austin is a big slap in the face for the city of Austin. Again, you move on Austin.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio