Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Oh good lord.

New desktop.
Seconded.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

^ It is an amazing photo, and from a viewpoint we don't often get to see. It's worth another look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:59 PM
New Yorker for life

DECEMBER 6, 2008

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 5:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 6:41 PM

Good god, NYguy; that photo of somebody hanging on the spire was just breathtaking!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 7:46 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Good god, NYguy; that photo of somebody hanging on the spire was just breathtaking!
Agreed!

Looks like a fun job

The Chrysler building is just plain awesome...my avatar would be at least 70% less cool without it

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:39 PM
World Machine

It's been my avatar since day one, and I'm never changing it. Thanks for the contributions NYguy, awesome photos!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 9:11 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It's been my avatar since day one, and I'm never changing it. Thanks for the contributions NYguy, awesome photos!
True, but my av. captures it in its prime, soon after its completion. Plus Im in it, and you cant beat that.

(kidding of course)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:38 AM

^ Thats actually some pretty good photoshopping.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 4:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post

(kidding of course)
Cool pic. If I had one superpower, it would be to fly, so I could soar through and over the canyons of Manhattan...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Thanks guys, and yeah, Id love to be able to fly...and if I could NYC would certainly be my first stop

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:12 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/26/garden/26cloud.html

.....The Cloud Club was created partly at the behest of Texaco, or the Texas Company as it was called then, which before leasing 14 pricey floors in the new building, insisted that there be a suitable restaurant for its executives. The Cloud Club was the solution, and its design reflected a somewhat uneasy compromise between William Van Alen, who gave the rest of the Chrysler its trademark modernist look, and Walter Chrysler, whose own taste ran to the baronial and faux medieval. In keeping with the unspoken philosophy then that businessmen were sort of like squires, there was a Tudor-style lounge on the 66th floor, with mortise-and-tenon oak paneling, and a Grill Room in the classic Olde English style, with pegged plank floors, wood beams, wrought-iron chandeliers and leaded glass doors.

The main dining room, one floor up and connected by a bronze and marble Renaissance-style staircase, had a futuristic, Fritz Lang sort of look, with polished granite columns and etched glass sconces. There was a cloud mural on the vaulted ceiling, and a mural of Manhattan on the north wall. On the same floor Walter Chrysler had a private dining room with an etched-glass frieze of automobile workers. There was also a private Texaco dining room, with a giant mural of a refinery, and what was reputed to be the grandest men's room in all of New York.

All this was crammed, along with kitchens, a stock-ticker room, a humidor, a barber shop and a locker room with cabinets for stashing one's booze during Prohibition, into a space that, because of the way the Chrysler Building is set back on its higher floors, seems almost preposterously small by today's standards. Backstage, the Cloud Club must have felt like a submarine - or, rather, like a very cramped airship.

Its smallness, along with the fact that it didn't admit women for decades and wasn't open in the evenings, may have detracted a little from the glamour of the Cloud Club. It never took on the aura of the Rainbow Room (dreamed up by John D. Rockefeller, who was a Cloud Club regular) or of nightspots like "21," the Stork Club or El Morocco, which derived some of their energy precisely from being a little more earthbound.

Roger Angell, the New Yorker writer and editor, who lunched at the Cloud Club once or twice with Raoul Fleischmann, the magazine's co-founder, remembers it as a place populated by businessmen and "old gents." They were mostly executives in the automobile, aviation and oil industries, along with a few well-heeled publishing types, like Fleischmann and Henry Luce, whose Time Inc. briefly had headquarters in the Chrysler Building before moving into a skyscraper of its own. In fact, it was at a meeting in the Cloud Club in 1936, just after a Cuban honeymoon with Clare Boothe, that Luce dreamed up what became Life magazine. Luce's son, Henry Luce III, recalls visiting the Cloud Club once with his father when he was 12 or 13. "I remember the wind whistling through very noisily," he said. "You could hear it inside."

The fortunes of the Cloud Club began to decline a little in the 50's and 60's, with the defection of some members to the nearby Sky and Pinnacle clubs, which were both newer and bigger. The whole Chrysler Building fell on hard times in the mid-70's, and in 1977, Texaco, whose executives were then a mainstay of the Cloud Club membership, moved to Westchester. The Cloud Club closed for good in 1979, and various schemes to rehab and reopen it never came to much.

Tishman Speyer, which took over the Chrysler Building in 1998 and painstakingly refurbished it, has leased the top two floors of the Cloud Club space to tenants, while the first is still awaiting an occupant. The grand staircase has been yanked out, and the rest of the space has been pretty well expunged of ghosts and memories. Except for a marble floor and 54-inch-wide windows - which on a clear day offer a view so expansive it's like looking at New York on HDTV - it offers not a clue to its former incarnation.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/26/garden/26cloud.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
^ It is an amazing photo, and from a viewpoint we don't often get to see. It's worth another look...
This guy has photos from several other buildings to

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:13 PM
low-riding

reflections on a beautiful thing

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:14 PM
low-riding

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I'm game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture