HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Chrysler Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 10:55 PM
DENNAB

I hope so, that'd be awesome, Chrysler is a gem.

This should be in Buildings and Architecture section but a mod will move it. Welcome to the forum

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 10:55 PM

I just wish they could raise the Chrysler building 400 or 500 feet.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
if that is the case, the same should be done for the Empire State Building. However, increasing the height of either building would destroy the historical integrity.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
How do I delete someone else's comment?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I hope so, that'd be awesome, Chrysler is a gem.

This should be in Buildings and Architecture section but a mod will move it. Welcome to the forum
I agree that the observation deck should be reopened.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
I have heard reports that the 71st floor observation deck of the Chrysler Building in New York City might be reopened under it's new owners. It would be nice considering that it has been closed since 1945 and restored to it's 1930 state. I feel that it would become a profitable attraction like the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock.
Interesting! I looked around and found the information below on https://thetowerinfo.com/buildings-l...sler-building/ :

"When the Chrysler Building first opened, it used to have a public observation deck on the 71st floor at a height of 783 ft, but was closed and transferred to office space in 1945. The closing of the observation deck was because people preferred to visit the observation deck on Empire State Building, as it's higher and open-air, while in the enclosed observatory on Chrysler Building, visitors must see the views through small triangular windows."

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Interesting! I looked around and found the information below on https://thetowerinfo.com/buildings-l...sler-building/ :

"When the Chrysler Building first opened, it used to have a public observation deck on the 71st floor at a height of 783 ft, but was closed and transferred to office space in 1945. The closing of the observation deck was because people preferred to visit the observation deck on Empire State Building, as it's higher and open-air, while in the enclosed observatory on Chrysler Building, visitors must see the views through small triangular windows."
It would be interesting to see how reopening the observation deck would play out.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Nobody does it better...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1HVrUCn_Dk/

Quote:
The Chrysler Building between the General Electric Building and the Waldorf Astoria, 1966. Credit photographer Cervin Robinson.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Little brother (or sister). Always beautiful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2nHWcfBcz4/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LPC To Review Proposal For An Observation Deck At The Chrysler Building

Quote:
Proposals to construct a new observation deck on the upper floors of the Chrysler Building have arrived for review by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. As promised by Aby Rosen, co-founder of RFR Holding and part-owner of the Midtown East icon, these plans comprise just one phase of his vision to invigorate interior spaces of the landmark at 405 Lexington Avenue with new restaurants, a food hall, and retail spaces.

Designed by Gensler, the observation deck would be constructed on the 61st floor. The existing terraces at this level are located on both the north- and south-facing elevations. Proposed modifications include replacement of existing terrace doors with new power-operated entryways with widened frames to accommodate wheelchair access. The illustrations also reveal the installation of 13 glass panels spanning just over 51 feet wide at the edge of the terraces. Described as a glass screen, the panels will stand approximately seven feet tall and will align with the top of the terrace windows.

Existing double-hung windows on the 61st and 62nd floors will be replaced with single-lite hinged windows. The existing exterior trim, however, will not be altered.

Renderings of the proposed structure from several vantage points depict minimum visibility of the observation deck from street level.
=================
NYY

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 10:23 PM
New Yorker for life

https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-n...servation-deck

Developers Propose New Chrysler Building Observation Deck
The Midtown Manhattan skyscraper changed hands in 2019 for $150 million.

By Brendan Krisel
May 19, 2020

Quote:
he new owners of iconic Midtown Manhattan skyscraper the Chrysler Building are planning to add an observation deck to the landmarked tower, according to a presentation submitted Tuesday to the city Landmarks Preservation Commission.

RFR Realty, which bought the historic building for just $150 million in 2019, presented plans drawn up by the Gensler architecture firm to construct an observation deck at a terrace on the Chrysler Building's 61st floor.

The terraces, located on the north and south side of the tower's 61st floor, would be outfitted with new glass observation screens and new automatic sliding doors providing access to the decks. Windows on the east and west sides of the floor would be replaced to provide visitors additional viewpoints from inside the building, according to Gensler's presentation.
Quote:
Visual impact to the exterior of the landmarked building appears to be minimal and limited to the 8-foot-tall glass panels that protects observers, according to Gensler's presentation.

The proposal will add additional tourist activity to the Chrysler Building, which functions primarily as an office building. Tourists are currently limited to viewing the building's exteriors and its lobby.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:47 PM
New Yorker for life

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I would love the opportunity to get up there and experience the Chrysler that way, but on the other hand, I'm not sure having people visible up there won't ruin the look. We'll see.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:03 AM

I think it will be fine and in terms of noticing any change, it will be folks like us that will if only slight....

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:11 AM

I definitely look forward to visiting this observatory.

This tower is obviously a classic, and will be very popular.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:18 AM
Crane Goddess

This would be awesome!!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Fantastic that its for the public.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd sell my soul to have a chance to visit a Chrysler building observatory. This is the most beautiful, perfect skyscraper in history.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like we’ll be up there.

https://therealdeal.com/2020/05/21/a...ervation-deck/

Aby Rosen is bringing back the Chrysler Building’s observation deck
Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the plan after a Zoom presentation

TRD NEW YORK
May. 21, 2020

Quote:
The last observation deck at the Chrysler Building closed in 1945. Now, it’s getting a new one.

Aby Rosen’s RFR Realty and architecture firm Gensler received unanimous approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission for the plans, which were presented in a Zoom meeting Tuesday.

The deck will be positioned on the terraces that frame the 61st floor of the 77-floor tower, according to the New York Post. They will feature eight-foot-tall protective glass walls, which Rosen reportedly told the commission would be virtually invisible from the ground.
Quote:
The previous observation deck, known as the Celestial, was on the 71st floor. It’s unclear when the new deck will be opened to the public, but it will face competition. SL Green Realty is planning an observation deck at the nearby One Vanderbilt, and last year Related Companies opened The Edge at 30 Hudson Yards, the tallest outdoor observation deck in the Western Hemisphere.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:37 PM

Be interesting to see the pricing on this. On one hand it could be a little cheaper than it's counterparts but on the other, well it's the Chrysler Building.......

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 7:12 PM
Dryer lint inspector

This could solve any cashflow issues this building might have since they had an issue with competing for office space in the past. I would love to visit their observation deck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture