HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 12:13 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Also, don't be surprised if/when Weston Urban buys the Soap Works Apartments. They'd own that entire block of land adjacent to San Pedro Creek. That's a big piece when you think about the major redevelopment planned for San Pedro Creek.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Let's keep this discussion aimed at the development itself and not go into the cynical aisle.

It should be noted though, that the GH's final design wasn't the result of HDRC.
Can you let me know what it was then? I have always assumed as well it was HDRC fault for the horrible GREAT WALL OF SA Grand Hyatt

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 5:18 PM

Here is the before shot, then I can start photographing progress!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 1:27 AM

This news made my day.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 3:00 AM
Meh

That's awesome news, guys. Congrats! Of course this is exciting news to me, too. I'd love to see a landmark tower for San Antonio. I love that it's Frost Bank that's moving forward with it.

Fingers crossed! It would be the new corporate headquarters for Frost Bank. The old Frost Bank Tower would be given to the City of San Antonio which the city would use to consolidate several departments.

http://www.therivardreport.com/mayor...tate-megadeal/
Quote:
Mayor Castro Unveils Downtown Megadeal

Robert Rivard on 26 June, 2014 at 18:19

Mayor Julián Castro, flanked by a majority of City Council at a hastily-called Thursday afternoon press conference at City Hall, announced a proposed downtown real estate megadeal put forward by Weston Urban and Frost Bank that would give the city’s skyline its first new Class A tower in more than 25 years and generate a breathtaking wave of downtown development north of Main Plaza.

“This is a major development that literally has the opportunity to change the landscape of downtown,” Castro said. “It has been more than quarter century since our downtown skyline has had a new office tower.” He later said the project would add 300 new residential units to the downtown market.

The new tower would add 732 new parking spaces to the downtown inventory, and equally important, put new and available Class A office space into the market, the first addition of Class A office space to San Antonio’s downtown since the Weston Centre opened in 1988.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 4:22 AM

The new office tower will be a good addition to the skyline, but I'm almost more interested in what Weston has planned for Municipal Plaza (I love that building) and the new developments. Parking at Municipal Plaza would be my only question.

photo from: http://www.sanantonio.gov/clerk/Arch...ilChambers.pdf

Quote:
History

The Municipal Plaza Building is an historically significant building located within the Main and Military Plaza Historic District on Plaza de las Islas next to San Fernando Cathedral. The 12-story building was constructed to house the Frost National Bank and was completed in 1922. Original interior features included a bank lobby with a three-story high space, an ornamental coffered plaster ceiling featuring floral medallions, a mezzanine wrapping around the second story, stone arcades, electrical fixtures by Tiffany, Italian marble stairway and bronze pocket doors at the entrance.
In 1973, Frost Bank moved to its current location on Houston Street. Luby's Cafeteria occupied the former bank lobby spacefrom 1975 to 1989. The City of San Antonio purchased the building in 1989. City Council voted in 1992 to relocate the Council Chamber to the former bank lobby and renamed the building the Municipal Plaza Building in April, 1994.
Just a little history lesson for those that care...
I also think its pretty cool that Frost Bank "Past, Present & Future" is included in this deal. Now we'll just have to see if the City moves into this new building in 2040.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:23 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:12 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
Unfortunately, most people don't appreciate the design and craftsmanship that went into older buildings. Today most people think glass and metal means modern means good.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:00 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Unfortunately, most people don't appreciate the design and craftsmanship that went into older buildings. Today most people think glass and metal means modern means good.
And glass and metal can be very ugly, too. I know San Antonio doesn't have much in the way of modern buildings right now, but not all that glitters is gold, if you know what I mean.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 3:19 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

The last thing we need is an 'architectural death ray" tower of mirrors, harnessing the power of our 100 degree weather and scorching, melting, blinding, and burning everything within its range. You want to look at it and not squint or immediately look away like you were staring at a atomic explosion or the ark of the covenant. I think the Vistana is an excellent example of a marriage between modern and classic. The lighting works with the architecture beautifully. Another example would be if the Municipal Plaza Building were assimilated by the Borg, although maybe not conventionally beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:19 PM

Guys, mirrored glass is not allowed in downtown designs. Glass is allowed, i.e. glass curtains, just not mirrored glass.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

I didn't know that. That's a good thing IMO. Austin may be booming right now but it's also losing some of its charm. San Antonio's building codes may seem boring to some, but in the long run I think it will help downtown retain its architectural charm.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 8:00 PM

Got this shot this morning on the way to work.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 10:32 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I didn't know that. That's a good thing IMO. Austin may be booming right now but it's also losing some of its charm. San Antonio's building codes may seem boring to some, but in the long run I think it will help downtown retain its architectural charm.
Well said, Mr Jack.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

Things are progressing nicely. I almost feel like postponing my trip just to be even more surprised of the changes that have taken place not just here, but throughout the city.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

Awesome shot, didn't realize so much progress had been made since I was last home. I here ya miaht82 I'll be home again in September. Past few visits the Pearl area has had my full attention with the amount of change going on, something new every visit.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:18 PM

Every month TCI has aerial photos shot of the site. Here is one of the better pics from June.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Things are progressing nicely. I almost feel like postponing my trip just to be even more surprised of the changes that have taken place not just here, but throughout the city.
For the first time in my life, I'm facing the prospect of going 12 months without setting foot in SA. Given all that will and hopefully will have come to fruition by the time I do eventually get down there, it should be worth the wait.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 6:25 PM

Noticed they've broken ground on 1130 Broadway Seems like it's just in time too, I've been looking at apartments with a friend and most of the ones we looked at are pretty much full/renting out before the prior tenant moves out. I was also really surprised at the prices. I figured most of the apartments outside of Pearl would be in the $1.50-1.75 range, but after looking at them (Mosaic, 1221, 1800, Cevallos) they are really more in the $1.75-2.00 range. I guess that's good news for getting more and taller buildings in the core soon!

Also, interesting article on condos in the Express News today:
http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...5599147.php#/0

Has some stats in it that surprised me a bit, especially how the SA market compares to the other major markets in Texas.. "From January to May, buyers have closed on 271 condos in San Antonio. During the same time period, 2,678 condos were sold in Houston, 2,383 condos in Dallas and 1,349 condos in Austin."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 8:24 PM

As shown by the fact that SA is first in condo sale growth year over year. The condo inventory is so low that the sell number will be low as well but the demand is really high. I wouldn't be shocked if we see some condo developments announced in the core in the next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio