HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:22 AM
They all float down here

After talking with someone close to the area, I am expecting Abravanel Hall likely bites the dust. Financially, the Utah Symphony is bleeding out money and the venue is both too big for it now and in need of renovating.

So, don't be surprised if the symphony moves to Libby Gardner Hall, which is much smaller and seats crowds that are more in line with what the symphony draws.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:09 PM

Taken today around noon:

Salt Lake Temple:

Astra and Worthington from 300 E and 300 South:

image hosting site

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
After talking with someone close to the area, I am expecting Abravanel Hall likely bites the dust. Financially, the Utah Symphony is bleeding out money and the venue is both too big for it now and in need of renovating.

So, don't be surprised if the symphony moves to Libby Gardner Hall, which is much smaller and seats crowds that are more in line with what the symphony draws.
That makes me sad. They deserve beter than a college auditorium (libby is good, but abravanel much better)

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
That makes me sad. They deserve beter than a college auditorium (libby is good, but abravanel much better)
That’s wild if true, I can’t imagine there won’t be major community blow back if this comes out as the plan. Look at every “entertainment district” built it’s not worth losing a gem like abravanel, I don’t care how much hype and how many promises any owner makes.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That’s wild if true, I can’t imagine there won’t be major community blow back if this comes out as the plan. Look at every “entertainment district” built it’s not worth losing a gem like abravanel, I don’t care how much hype and how many promises any owner makes.
Unless you can convince Utahns to actually go, the symphony is a money pit in its current location apparently. Honestly, you don't keep the hall just to keep it. If they're struggling there, you either invest in renovating it so it's 1,000 seats smaller or you... well...move on.

I don't think this is the case of just demolishing it in the name of progress. It sounds like the symphony is struggling. They've run a deficit for a decade and that's on top of financial struggle they faced 20 years ago.

https://archive.is/Lweu4

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:45 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Unless you can convince Utahns to actually go, the symphony is a money pit in its current location apparently. Honestly, you don't keep the hall just to keep it. If they're struggling there, you either invest in renovating it so it's 1,000 seats smaller or you... well...move on.

I don't think this is the case of just demolishing it in the name of progress. It sounds like the symphony is struggling. They've run a deficit for a decade and that's on top of financial struggle they faced 20 years ago.

https://archive.is/Lweu4
I have no clue or real experience with the Utah symphony but have seen several other shows at AH, including George Carlin way back in the day. I thought the arts and symphony were well supported up there but I guess not.

I know everyone has huge aspirations for whatever this guy is going to build but I’d be very hesitant to trust that it’s something better. I would not want to give up a gem like AH for any entertainment district I’ve ever been to. Incorporate it, repurpose it, make it a bad ass performing arts venue to attract comedians, live music, etc.. that’s all entertainment too no?

I’ve got no stake, say or direct involvement but that’s a bummer to me if it goes. And I’m less than convinced it’s a change for the better based on the very limited details so far.

Old Posted Today, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Taken today around noon:

Salt Lake Temple:
[url=https://ibb.co/9VG8W5N]
image hosting site
Am I seeing this right? Are there now TWO angels atop the middle spires?

Old Posted Today, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Am I seeing this right? Are there now TWO angels atop the middle spires?
Looks like the angel is only on the east central spire. West central spire is topped with a yellow crane of some sort. Or a cable support. Can’t quite make it out.

Old Posted Today, 7:05 PM
Exit 298

I hate to be that guy, but I think this entire entertainment district project sounds like pie in the sky.

Smith isn't building all of this to invest in Salt Lake City. He's doing it to make money. And I really doubt he's going to finance what's probably a 2 billion dollar project. I mean, just remember how ridiculously expensive City Creek Mall was. This project is roughly the same size. Now we need to inflation adjust the price 15 years forward.

I don't know. I just feel pissed off to see the perfect good convention center and symphony hall get demolished for the whims of a billionaire who may or may not deliver on what he's promising. I get the sense of foreboding that we're going to end up with two giant vacant lots with nothing on it, and Smith half apologizing that the "market conditions are bad" and so he can't finish the project or whatever bs.

Old Posted Today, 7:07 PM
Exit 298

Furthermore, you don't demolish two perfectly good developed blocks in a downtown area when there are parking lots to the north!

How is this not the same nonsense that they did during the 1960s?

Tell Smith he can work with the LDS church to develop their blocks, or gtfo.

Old Posted Today, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Furthermore, you don't demolish two perfectly good developed blocks in a downtown area when there are parking lots to the north!

How is this not the same nonsense that they did during the 1960s?

Tell Smith he can work with the LDS church to develop their blocks, or gtfo.
Its called progress and there is really nothing wrong with people making money, especially someone who just brought the NHL to downtown salt lake city. What is the sale tax increase really going to cost you? $300 a year? Not a big deal, when you have a new destination to enjoy with shops, restaurants, bars, walking area / plaza, etc. Why destroy a perfectly good Carls's Junior for a high rise? The one story convention center is in the way, is dead 90% of the time. Bulldoze it I say.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West