HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:40 PM

^ I agree, the whole thing looks like kind of a mess... the close up rendering of the base looks awkward as hell... where is Jahn showing his later career skill with designing tight, minimal elevations?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

this project seems to have jumped the shark ever since the developer retardedly decided to abandon the stacked cantilevered boxes.

idiot.

if there's a way to elegantly handle the big angled cantilever on the south side of this beast, jahn's team sure as hell hasn't found it yet.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 10, 2017 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 5:45 PM

If you ignore the first 20 or so floors I think the new design is attractive.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 2:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think this is solid for the neighbourhood. It's not out of place, and it isn't overly in your face. Elegant, yet mild. In other words, its not like something you'd see out of an architect like Ingels or the great Zaha Hadid (RIP) which is radical and overly stands out. Doesn't disrupt the beauty of Millennium/Grant Park and intermingles well with the proxy towers along the park edge. Mr.Jahn did a nice job.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 4:56 PM

Apparently there's an ad for 1000M in Chicago Magazine.

I've heard that we could be getting commercials sometime next month.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think this is solid for the neighbourhood. It's not out of place, and it isn't overly in your face. Elegant, yet mild. In other words, its not like something you'd see out of an architect like Ingels or the great Zaha Hadid (RIP) which is radical and overly stands out. Doesn't disrupt the beauty of Millennium/Grant Park and intermingles well with the proxy towers along the park edge. Mr.Jahn did a nice job.
i like your positivity. I agree. 1000M will be solid.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:50 AM

If the city and park district would put a cohesive plan for Grant Park to be more suitable for the neighborhood, akin in Lincoln Park or Jackson Park, this building would have no problem selling out.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:26 PM
Urbane observer

Huh? What use do people in this kind of a building have for a public park, except to look down at it from their windows hundreds of feet above, and as a place for their dog to poop? What kind of "cohesive plan" do you think closes the deal on a $600/ft condo?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Huh? What use do people in this kind of a building have for a public park, except to look down at it from their windows hundreds of feet above, and as a place for their dog to poop? What kind of "cohesive plan" do you think closes the deal on a $600/ft condo?
I would think something along the lines of covering up the ugly ass train tracks and service road that cuts through the entire park and is located right in front of your building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
And god forbid that anyone may try to spoil that park with a museum or something. Then its lawsuit time!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:19 PM

The way it works is, first the buildings are built, then more property taxes come in, then the money is available to cover the tracks. (If it doesn't get spent on something else)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:21 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this would look better if it was pushed to the back of the lot and something more in line with the neighboring buildings was fronted on Michigan? Similar to the Legacy. To me skylines look better when they have depth to them and placing the tallest buildings the front of the skyline just blocks the view of the rest of the buildings. And by view blocking, I mean from a pedestrian viewing perspective, not as a resident view blocking of the buildings. Kind of thought the same thing about the Spire also.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Ask the developers around Central Park and Lincoln Park. Big selling point.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? Condos on a nice park are the city's equivalent of beachfront real estate. In every city. Parks are coveted, for views and other reasons, and come with a premium.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:25 PM
Urbane observer

^Correct. To look at, or to walk the dog in, exactly as I said above. But Grant Park already exists.

sloop.chi is suggesting that some change in the programming or planning of Grant Park—making it "akin [to] Lincoln Park or Jackson Park"—would cause it to attract buyers who currently don't see it as acceptable. I'm trying to figure out what he means.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
^Correct. To look at, or to walk the dog in, exactly as I said above. But Grant Park already exists.

sloop.chi is suggesting that some change in the programming or planning of Grant Park—making it "akin [to] Lincoln Park or Jackson Park"—would cause it to attract buyers who currently don't see it as acceptable. I'm trying to figure out what he means.
I live near Grant Park with a current view. I have long been critical of the park for its lack of cohesiveness. I do know GP was not developed akin to Central Park or Lincoln Park, but I do feel that the neighborhoods around GP have changed while GP has not. It is broken up by large swaths of roads, especially Columbus, and there is a lack of ability to stroll, sit, or enjoy GP in similar fashion as CP or LP.

If I had to put a percentage of the park actually used, outside of getting to and from Museum Campus, during the year it probably would put it at a 90% under utilized park.

If the city invested in road diets to the roads cutting through, a landscaping plan that allows for more nature aspects, a pedestrian efficient pathways, and more neighborhood style amenities (playground); then the park would be overall much more attractive to look at from above, used by more people, and in turn increase the real estate values of all the buildings that have been built and will be built in the future.

Apologies for getting off the topic of 1000 S Michigan itself.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.chi View Post
I live near Grant Park with a current view. I have long been critical of the park for its lack of cohesiveness. I do know GP was not developed akin to Central Park or Lincoln Park, but I do feel that the neighborhoods around GP have changed while GP has not. It is broken up by large swaths of roads, especially Columbus, and there is a lack of ability to stroll, sit, or enjoy GP in similar fashion as CP or LP.

If I had to put a percentage of the park actually used, outside of getting to and from Museum Campus, during the year it probably would put it at a 90% under utilized park.

If the city invested in road diets to the roads cutting through, a landscaping plan that allows for more nature aspects, a pedestrian efficient pathways, and more neighborhood style amenities (playground); then the park would be overall much more attractive to look at from above, used by more people, and in turn increase the real estate values of all the buildings that have been built and will be built in the future.

Apologies for getting off the topic of 1000 S Michigan itself.
Absolutely 100% agree. I visited GP recently and I couldn't believe how unfriendly it is compared to LP.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:28 PM

Maybe we could talk Ken Griffin into fronting the money to cover the train tracks. He's been in an over-generous mood latley. They just got to rename that area of the park the Griffin Parkway. Haha.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 10:54 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.chi View Post
a landscaping plan that allows for more nature aspects, a pedestrian efficient pathways, and more neighborhood style amenities (playground); then the park would be overall much more attractive to look at from above, used by more people, and in turn increase the real estate values of all the buildings that have been built and will be built in the future.
I suppose no one would object to a playground for cute little kids, but young families are very seldom the market for these buildings. The empty-nesters who dominate the highrises fronting Grant Park are working hard to prevent a small installation of "fitness equipment" in the park because—after all—everyone already belongs to a gym or has a workout room in their condo building. They don't like the skate park, and want Lollapalooza, the Chicago Marathon, and all the fun runs gone from Grant Park.

In other words, they don't want a park. They want a lawn to look down at. And you kids better keep off of it!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:21 AM

Quote:
I suppose no one would object to a playground for cute little kids, but young families are very seldom the market for these buildings. The empty-nesters who dominate the highrises fronting Grant Park are working hard to prevent a small installation of "fitness equipment" in the park because—after all—everyone already belongs to a gym or has a workout room in their condo building. They don't like the skate park, and want Lollapalooza, the Chicago Marathon, and all the fun runs gone from Grant Park.

In other words, they don't want a park. They want a lawn to look down at. And you kids better keep off of it!
The probably don't want shadows in the park either

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction