HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:04 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Can see the new massing in this diagram here:

Even though it provides for fewer people, I like that version more. Thanks Wpg_Guy.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

I like the diagonal alignments of the east ends of the building and market enclosure, lining up with Albert Street.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:34 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I like the diagonal alignments of the east ends of the building and market enclosure, lining up with Albert Street.
Would be a good intersection to get a pedestrian scramble going.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 7:50 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 6:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

^ I was walking up Princess today and it's amazing how fast the streetscape is changing around there. Normally you need to look at 25 year increments to see much of a difference in the Exchange District, but in this case you have the nice new build at Princess and Bannatyne, RRC's project just off Princess, soon the Marketlands will get started... and then you have the less auspicious changes like the Scott Memorial Hall coming down as well as the PSB complex coming down to make way for Marketlands. It will feel quite a bit different around there in 2025 as compared to 2015.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:20 AM

They didn't beat around the bush, taking down the S.M.H. ...it's already almost all on the ground. Really sad sight, the chunks of carved stone strewn all around. Then a block away, the skeletal remains of the PSB parkade.

I'll cheer up when they start rebuilding, but it's a lot of feels in the meantime.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:00 AM

That's a lot of heritage and character to lose in the inner city in the past few months. First, the Vesta apartment off Sargent. Second, the eternally cursed apartment block on Maryland near St. Matthews. Third, the Hekla block on Toronto St. Now we got the Scott Memorial block obliterated. Upcoming, the destruction of half a block of Stradbrook and the continual assault of the housing stock on Wellington Cres. Winnipeg is known across at least Western Canada for its character buildings, and with each one being torn down they aren't exactly being replaced with anything as they disappear (hello Shanghai building!!). At least the Fortune Block partially makes up for it each time one passes by....

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That's a lot of heritage and character to lose in the inner city in the past few months. First, the Vesta apartment off Sargent. Second, the eternally cursed apartment block on Maryland near St. Matthews. Third, the Hekla block on Toronto St. Now we got the Scott Memorial block obliterated. Upcoming, the destruction of half a block of Stradbrook and the continual assault of the housing stock on Wellington Cres. Winnipeg is known across at least Western Canada for its character buildings, and with each one being torn down they aren't exactly being replaced with anything as they disappear (hello Shanghai building!!). At least the Fortune Block partially makes up for it each time one passes by....
IMO there's not really anything special about these houses on Stradbrook. Maybe you could make an argument for saving the red brick one right on the corner though.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:51 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Very true. This has been a bad winter.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:57 PM

Will the owners of Scott Memorial be forced to develop (/not build a parking lot) or forfeit the land? That should be the penalty. Also does it fall outside the downtown boundaries of no new parking lots?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:32 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 11:27 PM

Now that the parkade is dust, anyone have info on when Castle Ugly starts coming down?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:21 PM

It's often said that Winnipeg is "known" for it's heritage buildings. I'd like to believe that but personally I have never heard anyone outside of Winnipeg mention it. I'd love to see articles posted from people in other cities crediting Winnipeg over saving it's older buildings, though, so if anyone has any links I'd like to read them.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of preserving heritage buildings of they have some notable architectural and/or historical features. However, I also don't think that "old" necessarily means "heritage". I was as sorry as anyone to lose the Scott Memorial Block, but personally am am happy to see the amount of re-construction in the exchange.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Now that the parkade is dust, anyone have info on when Castle Ugly starts coming down?
I think they are back doing manual asbestos abatement in the building which has put it behind schedule. Apparently Rackowski Demo found some more asbestos in previously inaccessible areas after the first time the crews went through to remove what was known in the contract. The cost increase is still in the contingency fund range so it won't (as of the end of February) cost more than the project budget

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 12:44 AM
surely you agree with me

A big hole. This is going to be an incredible opportunity.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I think they are back doing manual asbestos abatement in the building which has put it behind schedule. Apparently Rackowski Demo found some more asbestos in previously inaccessible areas after the first time the crews went through to remove what was known in the contract. The cost increase is still in the contingency fund range so it won't (as of the end of February) cost more than the project budget
Just saw this reply, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
A big hole. This is going to be an incredible opportunity.
Yes I just drove by there the other day and thought the same thing. But I have to say, I'm as nervous as I am excited. This development has to be done right. I want quality architecture and proper streetscapes on all street fronts. This is right smack in the middle of our amazing heritage district and I hope developers come forward wanting to do a great job, and not just looking for the cheapest way to get an apartment in there. It would be nice if ground-level CRUs were mandatory, and high-quality building materials enforced.

Both this and the Forks residential development are happening at about the same time which seems to be stressing me out even more because we haven't seen how our city can execute this type of urban 'game changer' kind of plan that involves multiple residential developers in a highly visible tourist area.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:29 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
I mean, if tenants would stop hot-knifing their apartments to the ground, along with that Armour company actually investing money into proper electrical wiring that isn't from the 1940s (amongst other things)... these apartment razings & heritage losses wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

As for Wellington, are we talking the mansion losses? I don't necessarily mind the mansion losses, as long as medium or high-rise takes its place. Wellington Crescent is perfect for a bunch of high-rises & European-style developments. Even a Soviet-esque high density block, would be a drastic improvement over someones "summer home" while they're out in Costa Rica, ripping nickels and dimes out of the pockets of Manitobans... if its one of the nicer mansions, I'd like to see maybe some boutique stores, 529 Wellington-esque steakhouses, art galleries and stuff. But the rest of it? Medium and high density housing. With an emphasis on balconies facing the river.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:49 AM

Yeah it's hard to be upset with a private homeowner tearing their house down to build a new one. There's so many teardown and rebuilds in north River Heights, and a lot of them are stunning. Apart from one or two that made the news 10 years ago, there's lots of really modern ones that fit in the fabric of the street beautifully. The northernmost 2 blocks of Borebank especially have seen some gorgeous new builds in the last few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan