HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Meh. I'm kind of with Fryguy on this one.

I don't think the only choices are either leave it there or put in some crappy generic hotel chain.

I mean, if you could choose between redeveloping the remnants of that building or build something like the Thompson, or Floodgate, which would you pick?

Some stuff is worth preserving, this doesn't fall in that category for me.
Think bigger, guys. Those aren't the only categories. There are tons of examples of preserving a building while building new on top of it. In San Antonio alone one big example is the Majestic Theatre. This isn't the Majestic, but it is the Reyes, which apparently has one of the oldest liquor licenses in the city. That's historic, and the building is awesome, even if you don't think so.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:22 PM

I live near the airport, but work in Southtown, meaning I drive 281/37 every day to get to/from work. Today was the first day as I was driving by downtown that I could see the actual construction (not just the cranes) from the highway.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's awesome. And with the next floor it will pass the horizon lines of both webcams.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Meh. I'm kind of with Fryguy on this one.

I don't think the only choices are either leave it there or put in some crappy generic hotel chain.

I mean, if you could choose between redeveloping the remnants of that building or build something like the Thompson, or Floodgate, which would you pick?

Some stuff is worth preserving, this doesn't fall in that category for me.
That building has maintained a very high level of architectural integrity. You describe it as "remnants" but it's fully intact. Even the Reyes Bar storefront looks like it's 100 years old, minus the float glass. If you think that building, made by hand out of cut stone, wood, and metal, with details created by craftsmen, is automatically inferior to a new building made of cast concrete and petroleum byproducts, then you just hate old buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
It took me one try of randomly pinning a location in Laredo downtown...

Dropped Pin
near 598-500 Convent Ave, Laredo, TX 78040
https://goo.gl/maps/tR6GiX57vHA2

It's literally the same thing. Gross.
All the buildings on that corner look really nice though. I don't understand what your problem is with downtown Laredo, it isn't "gross" at all. Downtown Houston is pretty disgusting though.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's awesome. And with the next floor it will pass the horizon lines of both webcams.
Wow. That's right. At a certain point, because there is nothing taller nearby, we will not be able to see development of work on floors. Well, for future buildings, perhaps the new Frost Tower will be used. I feel the parking lot in front of the Embassy would be a great spot for a slender high-rise, but it would obstruct the view for people at both the Frost and Embassy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:15 PM
James

Quote:
Wow. That's right. At a certain point, because there is nothing taller nearby, we will not be able to see development of work on floors. Well, for future buildings, perhaps the new Frost Tower will be used. I feel the parking lot in front of the Embassy would be a great spot for a slender high-rise, but it would obstruct the view for people at both the Frost and Embassy.
They could always use the top of the Weston.

Also, I as also thinking that would be a perfect location for a slender tower similar to the ones going up in NYC, without the height obviously. But a 600fter. could easily be nice there and if it's slender enough, it wouldn't be too much of an obstruction for the Frost.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 4:28 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
That building has maintained a very high level of architectural integrity. You describe it as "remnants" but it's fully intact. Even the Reyes Bar storefront looks like it's 100 years old, minus the float glass. If you think that building, made by hand out of cut stone, wood, and metal, with details created by craftsmen, is automatically inferior to a new building made of cast concrete and petroleum byproducts, then you just hate old buildings.

All the buildings on that corner look really nice though. I don't understand what your problem is with downtown Laredo, it isn't "gross" at all. Downtown Houston is pretty disgusting though.
Yeah, like Laredo isn't a super nice place or anything, but Texas border city downtowns are almost all really vibrant, urban, retail-oriented districts (probably because of all the pedestrian traffic across the international bridges). They're very interesting places. Compare downtown Laredo to the downtowns of other cities about its size like Amarillo, Lubbock, Waco etc, and it's not even a contest in terms of interesting-ness and vibrancy. Heck, not to pick on Houston, but I would probably rather have something like downtown Laredo than a soulless skyscraper forest...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

The yellow crawler crane has been repositioned to the center of the garage plot, and they've begun working on the ramp.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Yeah, like Laredo isn't a super nice place or anything, but Texas border city downtowns are almost all really vibrant, urban, retail-oriented districts (probably because of all the pedestrian traffic across the international bridges). They're very interesting places. Compare downtown Laredo to the downtowns of other cities about its size like Amarillo, Lubbock, Waco etc, and it's not even a contest in terms of interesting-ness and vibrancy. Heck, not to pick on Houston, but I would probably rather have something like downtown Laredo than a soulless skyscraper forest...
If you had actually been to Laredo downtown, you wouldn't been saying that. It smells like sewage everywhere. The sewage system is very nonexistent in that area, it's absolutely disgusting. And across, there is no real sewage system at all, just a steam of fecal matter in the streets. This isn't an exaggeration at all.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ With respect to both opinions, I think there is a difference between the sewage (which is an infrastructure issue) and the architecture.

I am all for the occasional tangential discussion (which I guess I'm responsible for starting), but THE YELLOW CRAWLER CRANE IS REPOSITIONED AND THEY'RE WORKING ON THE REST OF THE GARAGE!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

[please delete]

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:46 PM
James

1/23/2018

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks again jaga185!

If your friend is willing to take requests, can I ask for one or two shots zoomed in so we can see the rebar and their forms a little more up close and personal? If not, I understand.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Thanks again jaga185!

If your friend is willing to take requests, can I ask for one or two shots zoomed in so we can see the rebar and their forms a little more up close and personal? If not, I understand.
I was looking for the same thing while zooming in on the picture. Then I saw your comment. Interesting. I alp so thought: a time lapse of them working on a floor would be awesome. I want to see that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 PM
James

Quote:
I was looking for the same thing while zooming in on the picture. Then I saw your comment. Interesting. I alp so thought: a time lapse of them working on a floor would be awesome. I want to see that.
I told him your request, Jack, and i was told to go to the club upstairs.

Which leads to your request, Fryguy... I think once every two weeks or so is all he's willing to do.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I told him your request, Jack, and i was told to go to the club upstairs.

Which leads to your request, Fryguy... I think once every two weeks or so is all he's willing to do.
Thanks! (Wait, is that a euphemism?)

As far as the timelapse goes, if the camera isn't locked off in the same position each time it makes it a lot harder to match up the photos to create the animation effect. Might be worth a shot trying to match up the existing photos though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:14 PM
James

1/25/2018

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:21 PM

It’s grown at a decent rate. Lovely weather today

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:32 PM

Today they did a cement pour – thus far, this is the fastest they've ever done a floor. It only took them a week. Well, half a floor. Either way, if they go at this rate, they will finish on time. It was definitely a nice sight.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:40 PM
James

Quote:
Today they did a cement pour – thus far, this is the fastest they've ever done a floor. It only took them a week. Well, half a floor. Either way, if they go at this rate, they will finish on time. It was definitely a nice sight.
I was thinking the same thing. I remember they said it takes about two weeks for a floor. They might pour the pillars tomorrow and then start the next floor monday... or tuesday. woot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio