HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:58 AM
Winnipeg

Omg just because the favorited design was not chosen the finalized choice is being compared to a Chicago housing building....

How can this Daoust Lestage design be compared to a Chicago housing building? Even if it’s not considered to be the best choice, how can it be that ugly? Nothing is finalized, and the construction material is also not finalized, why drawing conclusions so quickly?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:01 AM

Wow, what an awful decision. Absolutely no consideration given to Princess & King, which should be the main focus here – continue to push people and development north.

Is there any appetite on here to start a petition? I think it would be a worthy cause – this would be an utter failure of epic proportions and a massively squandered opportunity if it proceeded as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I think the key here is, "...the Jury thought the project was most feasible from financial and constructability viewpoints." Totally a Winnipeg-type response. But I guess if we want the project to happen, we have to be aware that there is a minimal budget.
But why should that play in? The north 2/3 is supposed to be developed privately. The city could use that money to fund a much better public portion.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:02 AM
Winnipeg

Delete

Last edited by EspionNoir; Dec 22, 2018 at 2:03 AM. Reason: Sorry. I thought my comment disappeared.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:06 AM
Winnipeg

In addition, Daoust Lestage is from Montreal. I can imagine this design can work totally just fine in Montreal, and it’s likely that they don’t know about Winnipeg that well, or just have a different approach. CentreVenture already said this design will be edited, so it’s the best for us to wait and see

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:11 AM
Winnipeg

Btw that Chicago housing building is really.....wow it makes our housing projects looks like luxury apartments

Sometimes I’m so glad I live in Winnipeg, a city that has more emphasis on construction quality than many other cities.....some cities just are just too drunk on profits and meaningless growth....well Chicago isn’t necessarily such a city

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wow, what an awful decision. Absolutely no consideration given to Princess & King, which should be the main focus here – continue to push people and development north.
Seems as though the jury was more concern with year round sunlight on the plaza, they rejected the other proposals with different building orientations due to casting shadows.

Jury report on each submission can be read here: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...21%20FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:31 AM

I don’t mind the market hall on this one... but its the building behind it that’s disgusting. It’s too bad the S+P one wasn’t chosen. The open exterior plaza and the indoor theatre seating would have been nice for adding venue space for the fringe and jazz festivals. The design would have helped bring people from old market square to the new marketplace, through city hall and up market to the RMTC, pantages, and warehouse theatres. It’s too bad.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:32 AM
Winnipeg

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:40 AM

Would be nice to see the block of William between Main & King closed as well and turned into more public space. Just figure out a way to allow access to the loading door for RRC.

Could be kind of cool to have the current OMS connection to Main, a new one on William, and City Hall Plaza all connecting the west Exchange/OMS/Marketlands public spaces to Main. Like a linear park with spines coming off it permeating to Main.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 5:14 AM
Winnipeg

I know how easy it is to have my opinion of aesthetics influenced, so I’ll just keep my opinion that it doesn’t look bad

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 6:37 AM

Again the marketplace in the winning design is quite nice, it’s beautiful with all the glass, it’s what’s behind it. If that thing was proposed somewhere down Henderson highway on the river I’d say ya, it’s nice. But it’s a monstrosity of a building for the site considering they were so concerned with sunlight, what about north of the building? The problem is the potential access to city hall is now fronted by a beast of an apartment building instead of an inviting green space that could be used for smaller concerts and vendors selling food and other things during festival seasons. It really is the worst choice.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Looks like a loading zone/car lane going right through the development?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Omg just because the favorited design was not chosen the finalized choice is being compared to a Chicago housing building....

How can this Daoust Lestage design be compared to a Chicago housing building? Even if it’s not considered to be the best choice, how can it be that ugly? Nothing is finalized, and the construction material is also not finalized, why drawing conclusions so quickly?
I would say that the comparison is unfair, because the Robert Taylor Homes were architecturally more attractive than this planned building:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:27 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I would say that the comparison is unfair, because the Robert Taylor Homes were architecturally more attractive than this planned building:

Not to be too critical but this Robert Taylor Homes seems to be something likely built in a Communist regime, and subject to quick degrading

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:30 PM
Winnipeg

I don’t think Henderson Highyway has anything close to this.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:07 PM

I don't think the winning proposal is one that many of us would have chosen, but I really don't see it as some kind of disaster either. It's not like CV opted for a strip mall and Timmies drive-thru. It's still a pretty good design that will enhance that area and really help tie it into the hub of Old Market Square.

I wonder how firm the plans are for the northern end of the site? That is really what will make or break this development.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think the winning proposal is one that many of us would have chosen, but I really don't see it as some kind of disaster either. It's not like CV opted for a strip mall and Timmies drive-thru. It's still a pretty good design that will enhance that area and really help tie it into the hub of Old Market Square.

I wonder how firm the plans are for the northern end of the site? That is really what will make or break this development.
Good points. I wonder if the fact that the apartments are "affordable housing" is influencing some opinions? The term tends to have negative connotations and inspires a bit of a NIMBY attitude in some, though there is definitely a need for more affordable spaces in the city. I agree that the plans for the site north of the apartment block will greatly determine it's overall success.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 5:36 PM

I think the area is going to look great with that airy glass structure in there across from from old market square. as for the buildings to the north, important to keep in mind that this is affordable housing. Let's see how it looks..

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Sorry, but it is this attitude that enables such shitty projects to be the norm in Winnipeg. Like TV said, this is a wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Sorry, but it is this attitude that enables such shitty projects to be the norm in Winnipeg. Like TV said, this is a wasted opportunity.
And this is the kind of attitude that most of us are sick of around here. The norm of all projects in the city are not "shitty", as you so eloquently put it.

For the record, this is not my prefered design either.

But in your case, we get it. You think everything in the city is rubbish. You come here to remind us of that alll the time. ALL THE TIME. But nobody here cares what you think anymore.So please, why don't you just stick to your beloved Edmonton threads where everything there is perfect in your eyes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan