HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:14 PM
New Yorker for life

LOL, it's as much architecture as anything else.

curbed.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:33 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Question: the site has been cleared, yet no sign of impending construction. Is that typical of development in Manhattan? Are there any holdups for this project from a government/community board/zoning point of view?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
LOL, it's as much architecture as anything else.

curbed.com
Is this building twisted or not. I've illustrated it with a slight twist, but in some of the recent model it appears to be straight. Also the recent addition to the NYC diagram the illustrator drew it as straight-wall. So I'm a bit confused. Are my eyes deceiving me!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:01 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Looking closer at thse rendering, I see it as being twised basically the same way as the proposed Waldorf=Astoria in Chicago but to a lesser degree. And with the obtuse corners cut off. Making sense?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:07 PM

This thing is going to look magnificent in person. I imagine the combination of that glass and it's curve is going to make for a very striking presence.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:01 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Question: the site has been cleared, yet no sign of impending construction. Is that typical of development in Manhattan? Are there any holdups for this project from a government/community board/zoning point of view?
Usually they have the plywood fence with flyers on it of a million different things (un-related to the project), and then a board with the construction company name, the developer, the bank investing in the project, the contractor, and a render of the building. Look at the 11 Times Sq. site as an example of a typical scene.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
There is no hold up, its all depending on the developer, who in turn will probably wait for demolition of the block south, and areas to the east. The red apartment building directly next door (also owned by Sherwood) is supposed to be vacated, if not already, soon. The site that was cleared was just for the footprint of the tower (at least as it stands now).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:11 PM
New Yorker for life

You can see a little of the twist in these photos...

I think the stacking diagram was done with this in mind...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 6:56 PM

It seems like that diagram was made for the view from the southwest/northeast.. both the southwest and northeast corners are straight and the adjacent corners are slightly curved.

I like that this building is hard to figure out.. it gives it a neat dynamic.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Under_the_El View Post
It seems like that diagram was made for the view from the southwest/northeast.. both the southwest and northeast corners are straight and the adjacent corners are slightly curved.

I like that this building is hard to figure out.. it gives it a neat dynamic.
The more I think about it, its similar to the Freedom Tower in that way. The profile will depend on the angle of your view.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:32 AM
California goth

That curvature is too subtle to make it look like an eccentric design, but its subtle enough to make the viewer think something is off. Vexing IMO.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 10:38 PM
New Yorker for life

One thing is certain about this tower, it will add to the mindblowing development taking place on the west side of Manhattan...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
World Machine

That it will. And this is yet another example of a tall building that will gather little attention, where as in other cities would be the focal point.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 5:42 PM
I love boxes.

Sorry I don know much about current developments in NYC, but what is that tall building with two spires on the left side behind all other buildings in the last picture ?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
Sorry I don know much about current developments in NYC, but what is that tall building with two spires on the left side behind all other buildings in the last picture ?
It's one of the proposals for the Hudson Yards development.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 10:07 PM

Can't wait for this pioneer to rise, since a tower of its size will give less credibility to nimbies to bitch about the "anti-urban" character of this "Hong Kong on the Hudson"

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysonny1 View Post
This building isnt architechture
Nice to see an architecture school snob on here. Thanks for giving architects in general a bad name, making people think that anyone who received an education in architecture is as much of a stuck-up elitist as you are.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Can't wait for this pioneer to rise, since a tower of its size will give less credibility to nimbies to bitch about the "anti-urban" character of this "Hong Kong on the Hudson"
....ich, not loving the "Hong Kong on the Hudson" label, but I get your drift. This is an outstanding way to get the ball rolling down there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
....ich, not loving the "Hong Kong on the Hudson" label, but I get your drift.
Yeah, its a reference to the west side NIMBYs who are horrified that there could be tall buildings built over the railyards.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, its a reference to the west side NIMBYs who are horrified that there could be tall buildings built over the railyards.
Ha that's funny too, it even scared me a little. But I think that's more because I hate to hear people compare New York with anywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction