HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Thank you for doing your research. I am a francophone who has voted for the PA in the past 2 elections and a number of people I tell that to look at me in disgust. Then I ask if they've actually done any research into the PA platform and every time it turns out they've never looked at any of it and just respond with some variation of 'Oh well they hate the french!'.

It's kind of scary actually, if voters did some research before running out to vote for the historical parties of their riding or families we might have very different results.
The problem is, the party isn't inherently Anti-French, but their platform attracts anyone that is Anti-French. So there lies the problem. Kris Austin may not be (I don't know, I haven't listened to him all that much). And this may be the propaganda speaking, but I haven't heard PA mention they would eliminate English speaking requirements in Francophone locations as well.

Either way, it seems backwards approach to addressing the the English/French debate... instead of promoting that learning French from an early age (just like majority of the French speaking individuals learnt English) lets just drive the wedge farther in, and eliminate French from English locations of the Province (in the only bilingual province in Canada...)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
The problem is, the party isn't inherently Anti-French, but their platform attracts anyone that is Anti-French. So there lies the problem. Kris Austin may not be (I don't know, I haven't listened to him all that much). And this may be the propaganda speaking, but I haven't heard PA mention they would eliminate English speaking requirements in Francophone locations as well.
I think there is truth to the point that the anti-French element would be attracted to PANB, but if these people actually knew what the party's agenda really was, they would likely be disappointed.

As I've said before, the PANB is not anti-bilingual, but is in favour of the reasonable and pragmatic application of bilingualism across the province, with the easiest access to bilingual services in already bilingual areas. This would solve (for example) the dilemma of ambulances locked in storage bays in Harvey while an (otherwise qualified) EMT living next door can't work because he doesn't speak French. Similarly, an Anglophone fisherman on Miscou Island (yes there are some), might have to get used to the idea of not always getting served in English at the neighbourhood NBLC store.

As for Kris Austen himself, he comes across as a very reasonable and bright individual. He's probably the best asset the PANB has.

Things can change however, and if the anti-bilingual right wing fringe eventually takes over the PANB, the party will be consigned to the scrap heap of history just like the CoR.

This is one of the reasons why the LIB and PC are trying to paint the PANB as extremist, to try and frighten reasonable people from exploring their agenda.

FWIW, I'm not a PANB supporter, but it disturbs me to see how the party is getting smeared by others.......

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Thank you for doing your research. I am a francophone who has voted for the PA in the past 2 elections and a number of people I tell that to look at me in disgust. Then I ask if they've actually done any research into the PA platform and every time it turns out they've never looked at any of it and just respond with some variation of 'Oh well they hate the french!'.

It's kind of scary actually, if voters did some research before running out to vote for the historical parties of their riding or families we might have very different results.
The platform itself only counts for so much, when you consider all the blatant broken promises by the Liberals and Conservatives over the years. Agreed that PANB's platform is moderate and relativeless harmless on the language issue.

Personally though, I vote person as much as I vote party, and the person's social media activity gives much better insight into what he/she is truly about politically. Many of the People's Alliance candidates, and far more disturbingly, many of the party executives, have very controversial far-right views which they've had no problem sharing on Facebook. To me that's a massive red flag, especially when it's not just 1 or 2 isolated instances like you'd normally see with most parties, regardless where they are on the political spectrum.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Personally though, I vote person as much as I vote party, and the person's social media activity gives much better insight into what he/she is truly about politically. Many of the People's Alliance candidates, and far more disturbingly, most of the party executives, have very controversial far-right views which they've had no problem sharing on Facebook. To me that's a massive red flag, especially when it's not just 1 or 2 isolated instances like you'd normally see with most parties, regardless where they are on the political spectrum.
Fair point. I haven't explored the FB posting of members of the party executive, so I will take you at your word.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Fair point. I haven't explored the FB posting of members of the party executive, so I will take you at your word.
LOL neither did I, there's a well-known twitter account that tracks/posts all of this stuff.

I did check on a couple of them to verify its validity... sadly it checked out and then some.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 9:14 PM

PANB - I think due to the fact that they are newer have a low number of candidates and they are bound to attract some characters. My hope is that winning some seats may attract some better quality candidates, and hopefully keep the language debate to the to the minimum of the platform being the economic impact of duality issues.

In researching, i suspected some rogue candidates weres making harsh comments.. but cbc calling them "anti-bilingual" in numerous articles is very misleading. Fake news.

I don't even really know who the COR party was.. nor did kris Austin probrably .. we were all in diapers-- or sneaking booze into punk shows at the community centers simpler times.

Quote:
The platform itself only counts for so much, when you consider all the blatant broken promises by the Liberals and Conservatives over the years. Agreed that PANB's platform is moderate and relativeless harmless on the language issue.

Personally though, I vote person as much as I vote party, and the person's social media activity gives much better insight into what he/she is truly about politically. Many of the People's Alliance candidates, and far more disturbingly, many of the party executives, have very controversial far-right views which they've had no problem sharing on Facebook. To me that's a massive red flag, especially when it's not just 1 or 2 isolated instances like you'd normally see with most parties, regardless where they are on the political spectrum.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
PANB - I think due to the fact that they are newer have a low number of candidates and they are bound to attract some characters. My hope is that winning some seats may attract some better quality candidates,
It almost certainly will give them some more credibility and get them better candidates but NB is only so large with only so many potential candidates to begin with. At its current size split five ways you're going to have some characters regardless.

Quote:
and hopefully keep the language debate to the to the minimum of the platform being the economic impact of duality issues.
The more time the PA spend in the Legislature and around government the more they'll realize a lot of their big asks linguistically are simply untenable. NB can't simply change away from official bilingualism - it's enshrined in the Canadian Constitution as a service that must be provided.

Quote:
I don't even really know who the COR party was.. nor did kris Austin probrably
The CoR were actually anti-French and weren't afraid to say it. They stemmed out of the PCs getting decimated and not doing enough to battle the official bilingualism that came into effect in the 1980s.

Austin almost certainly knows about CoR because a lot of their former members and MLAs are still floating around in NB.

The PA certainly stemmed in the beginning out of bilingual issues and they haven't done a whole lot to change people's minds about being a party driven by that ideal. They won't be able to get away from that stigma until they actually run Francophone candidates in Francophone ridings. Until then they're going to be an Anglophone party complaining about government people speaking French.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I don't even really know who the COR party was.. nor did kris Austin probrably .. we were all in diapers-- or sneaking booze into punk shows at the community centers simpler times.
We probably grew up in very different neighbourhoods!

I remember being a kid in the early 90s, one morning during the '91 campaign every french-speaking family on our street woke up with CoR signs on their lawns. Around the time of that election a lot of the french kids in the neighbourhood were getting jumped/attacked regularly, lots of taunts of "FROGS!" and "ENGLISH ONLY!!" and "SPEAK WHITE" to the non-white kids.

Can't say I miss those days... you don't hear much of that stuff anymore thankfully.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:14 PM

I can imagine that scenario..espcially in a diverse community, that would have been rough. I won't name that town i grew up in but lets just say there was one colored family and 1 franco family.. and they were the same family .

Diversity was not our strong point, but language was not really talked about either. nor an issue, but i could remember incorrectly. But being a small coumminity comments like that would have never been tolerated.. as everyone would know who your are or who said it.

Quote:
We probably grew up in very different neighbourhoods!

I remember being a kid in the early 90s, one morning during the '91 campaign every french-speaking family on our street woke up with CoR signs on their lawns. Around the time of that election a lot of the french kids in the neighbourhood were getting jumped/attacked regularly, lots of taunts of "FROGS!" and "ENGLISH ONLY!!" and "SPEAK WHITE" to the non-white kids.

Can't say I miss those days... you don't hear much of that stuff anymore thankfully.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Game of Thrones - NB EDITION.

Video Link

hilarious, especially the graphics.......

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:52 PM

Gallant has been sent packing finally!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:32 PM

The government has fallen! Anarchy is reigning in the streets! No wait, that's just actual rain. Nevermind.

One thing I'm a bit unclear of, since it was such an issue earlier; do they need to pick a new speaker for the Tory government, or will the sacrificial liberal stay in the role for the replacement government?

If a new speaker has to be picked, that could make things iffy, since Higgs will need support of 4 out of the 3+3 members of the minority parties to maintain confidence. Unless the Liberals keep their names in the ring for the Speaker.

I'm assuming of course that we aren't being thrown right back into an election which doesn't quite seem to be in the offing just yet.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:08 PM

Deleted due to outdated info in the post

Last edited by L'homard; Nov 2, 2018 at 9:02 PM. Reason: Deleted due to erroneous information in the post

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The government has fallen! Anarchy is reigning in the streets! No wait, that's just actual rain. Nevermind.

One thing I'm a bit unclear of, since it was such an issue earlier; do they need to pick a new speaker for the Tory government, or will the sacrificial liberal stay in the role for the replacement government?

If a new speaker has to be picked, that could make things iffy, since Higgs will need support of 4 out of the 3+3 members of the minority parties to maintain confidence. Unless the Liberals keep their names in the ring for the Speaker.

I'm assuming of course that we aren't being thrown right back into an election which doesn't quite seem to be in the offing just yet.
The Liberal speaker to remain

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
The Liberal speaker to remain
Really!!!

I'm very surprised. That's a major concession by Gallant.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:26 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Really!!!

I'm very surprised. That's a major concession by Gallant.
Its not a concession its a requirement of the speaker to stay on for the duration of the session which stays the same session even once Higgs takes power over. He had no choice

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Its not a concession its a requirement of the speaker to stay on for the duration of the session which stays the same session even once Higgs takes power over. He had no choice
The speaker normally remains in place for the life of the Legislature (i.e. until the next election) but is allowed to resign if he wants to.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:49 PM

Which is why Gallant had been in touch with all members of the other parties to try and persuade them into being the House speaker.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
They lost me at the free tuition program....because according to libs 65 k yr / 2 salaries is middle income..(more like the working poor).
I don't know what it is about Canada...or is it New Brunswick...that very well off people think they are poorly off.
New Brunswick shows lowest median household income in Canada
Quote:
Statistics Canada's latest release of 2016 census data provides details about income levels across Canada, where the national household median sat at $70,336 in 2015.
In New Brunswick, the median was $59,347.
It's the same with that proposal to have wealthy seniors pay slightly more towards their nursing care.

Honestly, everyone says the province needs to do something about the debt and here was a proposal that wealthy seniors - those with more then $100,000 sitting in their bank accounts - pay just 10% of only the excess over that. So those rich enough to have $100,000 paid no more, those with $110k paid $1k more more and those with $200k paid $10k more - still leaving them with $190k.

Hand in hand with this proposal was that those seniors at the bottom would be paying a bit less.

So what happened? The wealthy Seniors all got together and led by the Coalition for Seniors and Nursing Home Residents' Rights, they abandoned any pretence of representing the less well off and bitched about their "bank accounts being raided" by the government.

The rich protecting the rich and bugger everyone else. Makes you sick.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky7up View Post
I don't know what it is about Canada...or is it New Brunswick...that very well off people think they are poorly off.
New Brunswick shows lowest median household income in Canada
From personal experience I think it's well off NB'ers as I have not heard the same complaints as much in other provinces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces