HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Is Star of the Sea still going to happen ever, do you think/know?
I don't think it will but I hope I'm wrong. I have no faith in condo projects downtown anymore...I have no inside information, just speculating.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 2:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. It's too bad. People here would definitely buy them if they cost a similar amount as a downtown rowhouse and were completed before being purchased. Also, condo fees need to include more than just snow clearing from the front step. People expect amenities if they're going to own and still pay fees.

I was looking at one in MIX. If have paid about $220,000. I'd still be waiting. Instead I got a Rabbittown rowhouse in excellent condition and twice the size for $150,000.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:36 PM

I see the downtown condo market in St. John’s as being very different than it might be in Toronto or Vancouver. Right now I think our market is more suited to “affordable” condos rather than “luxury” condos. Maybe I’m oversimplifying it and I don’t really have any research facts to back it up but that is just my feeling.

What do the changing demographics tell us about population growth in the metro area? If the growth is in young families what do they want, probably a single detached home with a yard for the kids and dogs. If it is retired folk or seniors from other parts of the province they sure as hell don’t want to live downtown, they want room in the “burbs” for the pickup and the quad and maybe a view of the ocean. (a better view than through the narrows…looking over a salt pile). Most proponents of these “luxury” condos have been banking on the oil industry bringing in a significant number of young professionals used to living in a place for a few years and then moving on to the next challenge.

Another factor I see in the cost of individual units is the overall cost to build smaller buildings of 40 or 50 units as opposed to higher buildings where the cost per unit could be reduced. Just think of the excavation costs alone to get anything started in downtown St. John’s…remember how they were chipping away at rock for over a year to build the MetroPark.

Until a developer is willing to take a risk and build something on spec (hoping their market research is right) I don’t see too many things happening anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:41 PM

St. John's is one of the few cities, or perhaps the only city, in Canada where the price of a condo is more expensive then a bungalow. In many cities condos are targeted towards first time homebuyers as an affordable option. In St. John's they are pretty much targeted towards empty nesters who are looking to downsize a bit.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah. It's too bad. People here would definitely buy them if they cost a similar amount as a downtown rowhouse and were completed before being purchased. Also, condo fees need to include more than just snow clearing from the front step. People expect amenities if they're going to own and still pay fees.

I was looking at one in MIX. If have paid about $220,000. I'd still be waiting. Instead I got a Rabbittown rowhouse in excellent condition and twice the size for $150,000.
I've said it before, and it seems to be like the problem is the developer has to wait until so many are sold to make the project feasible. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be hesitant to put money down on a condo that may or may not be built a few years from now...

I'm also in Rabbittown....love the area. It's so close to everything. It's a perfectly centered neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I've said it before, and it seems to be like the problem is the developer has to wait until so many are sold to make the project feasible. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be hesitant to put money down on a condo that may or may not be built a few years from now...

I'm also in Rabbittown....love the area. It's so close to everything. It's a perfectly centered neighbourhood.
Its a typical way of purchasing a condo in other larger cities but like you said, in St. John's, people want to see what they are buying before plunking down their life savings on something before its even built.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Is Star of the Sea still going to happen ever, do you think/know?
I drove by the site lunchtime and there were a couple of guys there and some survey equipment so there is hope for it yet I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 9:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fortis/351.

Downtown St. John's by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Downtown West, St. John's by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Pepperell's Landing, a small section of the former U.S. military base on Quidi Vidi Lake set aside for SFD.

Pepperell's Landing by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Village Pass, a rowhouse in-fill project at the entrance of Quidi Vidi Village.

Quidi Vidi Village Road by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:54 PM

That new camera is working out well for you, nice pics.

I'm not impressed with the "Village Pass" homes, they are not suited to QVV and don't actually conform to the recommendations of the latest study, which was held off until these were approved. Sad sad sad.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. BUT they do blend in with what's across the street on that particular stretch. There are even generic suburban bungalows on the other side of it. If the village fills in with new development according to the plan, I think the Pass will make some great background noise. It won't stand out as inappropriate to me. It's already one of the more authentic Townie buildings on that little curve of road in my opinion lol

And thank you RE: pics! :-)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:27 PM

I like the houses.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

7 pm tonight there's a meeting at Gander airport, International Lounge, to review the new terminal concept.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I like the houses.
I don't mind the house style per se, I just don't think they show much "imagination" for that area. They would blend in quite nicely on 100 other streets in the city.

For QVV I'm all in favour of "re-creationism", if Disney can re-create a streetscape for any era we should be able to put similar controls in place for one small portion of our city.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
7 pm tonight there's a meeting at Gander airport, International Lounge, to review the new terminal concept.
I hope they keep the cool midcentury modern design as intact as possible.

I'm guessing they will end up selling off some of the surplus seating when they downsize the terminal - I wonder how easy and pricey it would be to get a sofa or a couple of chairs. I'd love to have something from it, I love MCM style and it'd be such a cool conversation piece.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I don't mind the house style per se, I just don't think they show much "imagination" for that area. They would blend in quite nicely on 100 other streets in the city.

For QVV I'm all in favour of "re-creationism", if Disney can re-create a streetscape for any era we should be able to put similar controls in place for one small portion of our city.
They are terrible, totally out of context and scale. They cheapen the place up. Something with a little design input would have gone a long way.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 5:30 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post
They are terrible, totally out of context and scale. They cheapen the place up. Something with a little design input would have gone a long way.
^ These are totally devoid of any architectural features. There is plenty in St. John's and elsewhere to take inspiration from. These type of utilitarian structures were built years ago by people because they couldn't afford anything else.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
^ these are totally devoid of any architectural features. There is plenty in st. John's and elsewhere to take inspiration from. These type of utilitarian structures were built years ago by people because they couldn't afford anything else.
exactly!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 2:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's true but how is that different from the rest of the Village?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
That's true but how is that different from the rest of the Village?
The rest of the village isnt a 6 unit wide 3 storey wall of vinyl.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 8:44 PM
Urban Design Aficionado

Sorry to interrupt this discussion with a question. Does anyone know what this development was?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's