HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:56 AM

If this tower gets built, alongside the Thompson Hotel, it will make that area of San Antonio more desirable than ever. With all this development in close proximity, Broadway will become everything it was destined to be.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:32 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I don't think it's possible for anything to stand out more and look awkwardly out of place than the Broadway Tower.
I actually like the Broadway Tower. I'm not crazy about residential along major arteries so much because of the hustle and bustle of the auto traffic, but the tower's design isn't bad at all. I was really glad to see it built.

By the way, I came across this older rendering of it, and I don't remember seeing this version.

http://www.viprealestate.com/blog/sa...buildings.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I actually like the Broadway Tower. I'm not crazy about residential along major arteries so much because of the hustle and bustle of the auto traffic, but the tower's design isn't bad at all. I was really glad to see it built.

By the way, I came across this older rendering of it, and I don't remember seeing this version.

http://www.viprealestate.com/blog/sa...buildings.html
Wow. I definitely do not like the old rendering. The current tower has a kind of prominence along the street and it's businesses.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If this tower gets built, alongside the Thompson Hotel, it will make that area of San Antonio more desirable than ever. With all this development in close proximity, Broadway will become everything it was destined to be.
Not to mention the renovation of the AT&T building for the new CPS HQ - though, I wish it was all glass and not just one side of it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:55 PM

Agree. Definitely like the new version a lot better!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Jack! Come on man, don't be so defensive! I was just making a little fun of myself because I really like a couple buildings that most aren't to happy with. You don't like this, we get it!
I was recently criticized on another thread, so I'm making sure nothing I say gets misconstrued or taken out of context here. Thanks for making fun of yourself.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:23 PM

I figure better myself than others!👍
I don't want to insult anyone, I love
all the different opinions & insight,
there are a lot of very informed
people here!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 7:22 PM
Registered User?

Quote:
By my count, at 260 feet, this would be San Antonio's 3rd tallest outside of downtown. The Broadway Tower is 282 feet tall and the Towers on Park Lane is 274 feet.
I thought the Towers on Park Lane were 368ft tall: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa

I know Emporis.com isn't the most reliable source, but I've been close to the building many times and I'd definetly say it seemed taller than the Broadway Tower. Quite an imposing strucure actually, it would look good downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:01 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
I thought the Towers on Park Lane were 368ft tall: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa

I know Emporis.com isn't the most reliable source, but I've been close to the building many times and I'd definetly say it seemed taller than the Broadway Tower. Quite an imposing strucure actually, it would look good downtown.
I've always had my doubts about that height. It would be very rare to find a 23-story residential building as tall as 368 feet. The Broadway Tower, for example, has only three fewer floors but is only 282 feet tall. The Towers on Park Lane appear more prominent than other buildings do because the site where it stands is at a higher sea level elevation than they are. The sea level elevation of this new building is 667 to 668 feet above sea level, while the Broadway Tower's site is 692 feet to 706 feet above sea level, but the Towers on Park Lane stands at 760 to 764 feet above sea level - nearly 100 feet higher than the site of this new building. The location of the Towers on Park Lane is more than 100 feet higher above sea level than just about any site in downtown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:40 PM

Just now got a chance to see the new renderings. If this is the final design I'm ok with it. I don't hate it like I hate the Hemisphere project.

I think it fits being so near the Pearl. I don't think a bold, modern design would work in that area. The Pearl has a very distinct vibe and a lot of that is the way the architecture in that area ties back to the old brewery. These renderings (in my opinion) keep at least some of that connection to the area while still trying to provide a modern office space.

That said, if this project was being proposed for anywhere else in or near downtown I would join the chorus of posters on this forum saying we could do better. Outside of the Pearl, it looks like something that would be better suited for the 1604/I-10 area.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:01 PM

It's alright, I don't love it or hate it. I would like it much better if the brick could go all the way up! But budgets can't be infinite I suppose. I appreciate the more human scale towards the street with the brick and window design. The glass box looks like a separate entity that has been dropped onto another building by a giant crane, which I'm not so sure I like (in other words - absolutely no relation to the rest of the building that I can see). I guess I appreciate the height though. The thing I dislike most about the glass box is what appears to be a mostly blank wall in the last rendering, with a thin strip of windows going up the middle. Blank walls never ever look good.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:17 PM
Registered User?

Quote:
I've always had my doubts about that height. It would be very rare to find a 23-story residential building as tall as 368 feet. The Broadway Tower, for example, has only three fewer floors but is only 282 feet tall. The Towers on Park Lane appear more prominent than other buildings do because the site where it stands is at a higher sea level elevation than they are. The sea level elevation of this new building is 667 to 668 feet above sea level, while the Broadway Tower's site is 692 feet to 706 feet above sea level, but the Towers on Park Lane stands at 760 to 764 feet above sea level - nearly 100 feet higher than the site of this new building. The location of the Towers on Park Lane is more than 100 feet higher above sea level than just about any site in downtown.
By "close" I mean I've been at ground level near both buildings. I'm not saying the Towers on Park Lane are necessarily almost 100 feet taller than the Broadway, but in terms of presence, the Towers were more impressive. Just always seemed like a bigger building. I'm skeptical at the suggestion that it's shorter.

I am actually a fan of this proposal, by the way. It does look similar to the office towers coming into Houston, as others have mentioned, but the clean aesthetic looks great IMO, and you can't argue with the height increase.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
It's alright, I don't love it or hate it. I would like it much better if the brick could go all the way up! But budgets can't be infinite I suppose. I appreciate the more human scale towards the street with the brick and window design. The glass box looks like a separate entity that has been dropped onto another building by a giant crane, which I'm not so sure I like (in other words - absolutely no relation to the rest of the building that I can see). I guess I appreciate the height though. The thing I dislike most about the glass box is what appears to be a mostly blank wall in the last rendering, with a thin strip of windows going up the middle. Blank walls never ever look good.
Pretty much my opinion. Thanks for doing the typing so I don't have to.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:45 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Hot take: I like it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:48 PM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:48 PM
James

Quote:
"Among the City’s recommended changes to the conceptual plans... and changing the proposed building cap to feature a more distinctive design"
Thanks, hdrc. Sometimes they do come through.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yessss!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
They're counting the two underground stories.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

Among the City’s recommended changes to the conceptual plans were reducing the impact on pedestrians by improving landscaping and pedestrian walkways, and changing the proposed building cap to feature a more distinctive design.

https://therivardreport.com/downtown...ower-broadway/

Hopefully, a much better design will come out of this. And the height isn't an issue. 😁

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:07 AM
Paradise

I would prefer they keep the glass material, but I welcome a more distinctive design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio