HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Looks like if the Missions want a new stadium, they will have to pay for it.

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2019...DbQEmiGJwUucOE

"Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff says the idea of building a new, taxpayer funded baseball stadium to house the San Antonio Missions as they make the move this season from AA to AAA level baseball is 'pretty much dead,' News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Former Mayor Ivy Taylor had proposed a purpose-built AAA baseball stadium downtown, specifically in an area of the newly renovated Hemisfair, across I-37 from the Alamodome.

While the owner of the Missions is pushing for a new stadium, Wolff told News Radio 1200 WOAI's Michael Board there is no support for it on the city or county levels, and the key now is the upgrade Wolff Stadium to meet AAA standards."
A politician saying taxpayers shouldn't pay to build a new stadium for a private corporation that would move the team from a stadium with his name on it? Nothing interesting to see here. Move along.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
A politician saying taxpayers shouldn't pay to build a new stadium for a private corporation that would move the team from a stadium with his name on it? Nothing interesting to see here. Move along.
His name or not, personally I agree with him. Public funds should not be used to build a new stadium for a private team, especially when it's only for a AAA team.

Major League team, we can talk. Minors, no way.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:30 PM

I Would be okay with a 50/50. Deal.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
His name or not, personally I agree with him. Public funds should not be used to build a new stadium for a private team, especially when it's only for a AAA team.

Major League team, we can talk. Minors, no way.
I also agree that public funds shouldn't be used for corporate profit. I didn't make that clear. My bad. I was only stating that while it may legally and therefore justifiably be his place to make such a statement (with which I happen to agree) there is also a conflict of interest. It's a gray area situation. But yes, I do agree with him... and you.

I imagine most people on this forum aren't old enough to remember the Alamodome funding brewhaha. City figures (including Henry Cisneros, Red McCombs and Nelson Wolff) and many other corporate figures alike all pushed for an increase in the Via (bus) tax to finance the Alamodome with the promise that it would help land an NFL team in San Antonio. Citizens voted in favor of the tax increase instead of asking an NFL that might be interested to pay for the construction themselves. Well, the dome got built, no team came to San Antonio and while the stadium has been used in many ways, it certainly didn't hold up to the promise that people made when they pushed for the public to finance what should have been a private venture. Maybe Wolff is thinking back to that in deciding his opinion about the baseball stadium. Who knows?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I Would be okay with a 50/50. Deal.
As long as there's a vote, and only in pursuit of a Major League team. That's my opinion, anyway.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:57 PM

[QUOTE=JACKinBeantown;8527529]I also agree that public funds shouldn't be used for corporate profit. I didn't make that clear. My bad. I was only stating that while it may legally and therefore justifiably be his place to make such a statement (with which I happen to agree) there is also a conflict of interest. It's a gray area situation. But yes, I do agree with him... and you.

I understood. I just don't put as much importance on that as you. I mean, it could be a tactic to stoke public fears of the team moving out.

I'm pretty sure the City could pony up some incentives for the team owners to build a stadium DT. I'm guessing that no incentives have been proffered owes to the fact that there is no, political at least, will to do so.

As for the County, other than where it's at, the only place I can see that makes sense to relocate would be the ATT Center/Coliseum area.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 10:34 PM

UIW has plans to buy the AT&T building at Hiledebrand, and Broadway. Looking forward to seeing their plans:

The acquisition will expand the footprint of the UIW Broadway campus by 20 percent. During a recent campus master planning process, the university determined it was “land shy,” Evans said, to the extent of 30 percent less land and 20 percent less parking than other similar institutions. “On both of those fronts, it helps us immediately,” he told the Rivard Report in an interview.

More space for residence halls is needed to house students from outside the area, for example. “We will be undergoing a very thoughtful process and determining what will happen with the property, especially in light of what we know is possible when you look at development spaces like the Quarry and the Pearl,” Evans said. 'And to really take the time and do it right and do something transformational on top of something that already is of great impact.'"

I doubt the building will come down and be replaced, but perhaps an upgrade along the lines of CPS Energy. That building, in my opinion, is in the running for ugliest in San Antonio.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 11:01 PM

That’s funny, because I commented last week that that building is one of the few of its era that looks like it holds up. Proves the old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The parking garage behind it also looks good (for a parking garage).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 12:22 AM

Major toyota expansion in san antonio

There is an article in The Rivard Report stating that Toyota is choosing San Antonio as the city to expand it's North America manufacturing operations with thousands of new jobs!!! This would be HUGE economic news for our beautiful city! Let's keep those fingers crossed!!!
Can anyone post the article?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 2:26 PM

Toyota San Antonio

Toyota’s San Antonio Expansion Draws Closer to Reality
Robert Rivard ROBERT RIVARD JULY 21, 2019

It would be premature to pop Champagne corks, but all signs indicate the long-anticipated expansion of Toyota’s vehicle manufacturing presence in San Antonio is going to happen.

San Antonio needs a big win, something that unites the people of this city after a contentious mayoral race, a continuing standoff between City Hall and the firefighters union, and a sequence of distracting and divisive issues pitting various political and social factions against one another.

Two big things seems to unite San Antonians across all socio-economic lines: A Spurs championship run and major economic development news. A sixth NBA championship is not on the horizon, but thousands of new jobs appear to be.

It’s happened before with Toyota, starting in 2006 when the world’s second largest automaker opened its Tundra pickup manufacturing plant here, creating thousands of jobs at the Southside facility and its satellite suppliers. Production of the smaller Tacoma pickup truck, which now outsells the Tundra, followed in 2010.

Now the Japanese auto giant is on the cusp of a plant expansion that would total nearly $400 million in total investment and create thousands of new jobs here and at an expanded network of suppliers in and around Bexar County.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:21 AM

San Antonio wins best overall Sister City 2019

Sister Cities International just announced San Antonio as best overall Sister City for 2019.

https://sistercities.org/2019-annual...years-winners/

San Antonio won for best city over 300,000.

Congrats to us!!!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Sister Cities International just announced San Antonio as best overall Sister City for 2019.

https://sistercities.org/2019-annual...years-winners/

San Antonio won for best city over 300,000.

Congrats to us!!!
Sheesh!!! Is it me??? This is a pretty nice feather in the cap of SA, but NOBODY gives a shit???

Petty bickering aside, can't we congratulate ourselves? Given the lackluster attempt at bringing attention to our 300th birthday, we received some pretty hefty accolades. Do we care?

Apparently we don't.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:39 AM

Well for what it's worth...

San Antonio was a 2019 finalist for the All American City Award. 7 time winner and most of all past/present winners!

https://www.nationalcivicleague.org/.../past-winners/

Also San Antonio listed as a Gamma- city

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2018t.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...search_Network

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:37 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
We've been a Gamma- level World City for some time. As our economy further diversifies (becomes less dependent on tourism and government as our main economic drivers), we may eventually climb to Gamma status.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:14 AM

And this from Six Flags Fiesta Texas:

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...s-kind-in-2020

Let's take this big thinking and bring it to Downtown. Certainly we could make a lazy river, or Ferris wheel part of Hemisfair Park.

Not criticizing, just bringing up ideas. Let's keep the momentum going.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:12 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
My mom worked there. My dad died there.

I just hope it doesn't become another hotel.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:50 PM

Navistar in SA

Truck makers Navistar are coming to SA, and bringing 600 jobs with them:

https://therivardreport.com/global-t...n-san-antonio/

Add that to Toyota's $391 million additions to it's plant here:
https://therivardreport.com/oyota-to...o-truck-plant/

And Aisin from Japan investing in Cibolo:
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-million-plant

It's been a pretty good week for the area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:

It's been a pretty good week for the area.
Totally agree, very good week

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:22 PM
Meh

The scaffolding collapsed that was up around the old SBC Building at East Martin & Jefferson.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...0cMqliSk3NMsp4

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio