HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:49 AM
working stiff

Saskatchewan Archival Information Network

Not sure how many of you are familiar with this resource, but I browsed through hundreds, if not thousands of historic photos and stories of buildings, landscapes and people. I spent 5 hours going through at least a dozen links with at least 600 quality images.

If your interested and have the time (hard to stop once you start ) , check out SAIN Virtual Displays and Digital Projects.

Here are a select few of my favorite or photos I found interesting.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 2:04 AM

Great work, pictures from the old days are always nice to see...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 2:28 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
Great work, pictures from the old days are always nice to see...
Who knew things from the past could be so telling

And my favorite story, well, an excerpt from a story describing the conditions and circumstances for settlers from England arriving in Saskatoon. The Sutton family history website has a wealth of information.

Brief Overview of Sutton family
Quote:
In 1903 with the famous Barr Colony, the SUTTON family boarded the SS Lake Manitoba and sailed for Canada, arriving in St. John NB, then by train to Saskatoon Saskatchewan. He had with him his wife, 11 children and a fortune of $80.00. Undaunted, he rented a Shack and went into the Milk business, strange occupation for once wealthy broker on the London Exchange. By 1909 he had bought the shack and property and a census of 1914 showed it to be worth $200,00.00.
Source

Excerpt from "The Sutton Family History story: No English Need Apply"
Quote:
"I have come to a decision," he said. "We are not going on to Britannia or to Battleford either. We shall remain here, in Saskatoon. I have given the matter a good deal of thought," he went on, "and I have decided that we have all had quite enough in experiencing the unknown. Our journey has been fraught with disappointments of one type and another, and who can really advise us if the land ahead is really as rich as we have been led to believe?"

We all waited, hardly daring to breathe. There was obviously more to come.

"I am convinced that this town will expand in the future. It is presently the end of the railway line, but it is bound to expand, I believe. It is ideally situated, and we already have all the evidence we need that hundreds of people are passing through. These people will need supplies of every kind. My present partnership with Doe Sparrow is expanding, and I feel that what we are witnessing now is the beginning of a thriving commercial centre.... We will Stay here," he decreed, "and become part of what Saskatoon is to become."

And he walked out of the tent.
Source

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 9:26 PM

I have used the site a few times looking for certain info or images. Haven't had the patience to sift thru everything yet.

Thanks for sharing this with others.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan