HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I hope the gondola to Dodger Stadium gets built. I think it would be a pretty cool attraction for tourists and locals alike. The current setup for getting to and from Dodger Stadium frankly sucks. Huge street into a massive sea of parking lots. Providing an alternative would be great, especially one that connects to Union Station. But, knowing LA, it will get held up in legal challenges for years, and probably will not end up getting built.
I am certainly no NIMBY and I hope this gets built but I can understand why having upwards of 5,000 passengers per hour on game days traveling over your house would give neighbors pause about this proposal.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I hope the gondola to Dodger Stadium gets built. I think it would be a pretty cool attraction for tourists and locals alike. The current setup for getting to and from Dodger Stadium frankly sucks. Huge street into a massive sea of parking lots. Providing an alternative would be great, especially one that connects to Union Station. But, knowing LA, it will get held up in legal challenges for years, and probably will not end up getting built.
Absolutely. Its incredible that a handful of morons, most who dont even live in Chinatown, can stop a project that will remove thousands of car trips 100 times a year as well as improve the area just because. The US is quickly falling behind the rest of the world and a simple project like this taking 10 years from conception to being potentially completed is a joke

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I am certainly no NIMBY and I hope this gets built but I can understand why having upwards of 5,000 passengers per hour on game days traveling over your house would give neighbors pause about this proposal.
I think it goes over 1 or 2 houses. Honestly, who cares

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:46 PM

The plaza level of the 2nd/Broadway station revealed.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:47 PM
你的媽媽

Looking good.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 6:29 PM

Yes, looking good indeed!

I can't wait for the Regional Connector to finally open. It'll totally cut down on travel times to parts of DTLA for me from South Pas. I'll just have to get used to the new route designations/colors.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 1:33 PM

The proposed Dodger stadium gondola prevailed in one of its legal challenges.

LA Gondola Project Overcomes a Challenge From Opponents
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...from-opponents

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
The plaza level of the 2nd/Broadway station revealed.
Do the new subway stations only have one sidewalk entrance?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The proposed Dodger stadium gondola prevailed in one of its legal challenges.

LA Gondola Project Overcomes a Challenge From Opponents
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...from-opponents
So glad about it

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:09 PM

New train station looks great, and so does the sky in that photo!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Two, if you count the elevator.

Some of the older subway stations do have two separate entrances, on opposite sides of the street or block.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Totally agree! People rave about clear blue skies, but some clouds make a sky look more dramatic and pretty, in my opinion.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:59 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Wilshire and Westwood is planned to have three. Four if the Sepulveda extension gets built!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Wilshire and Westwood is planned to have three. Four if the Sepulveda extension gets built!
That's a really busy intersection. The last time I visited town, I rode through it on a Bird scooter as if I live there and do it all the time.

My brother was living nearby at the time (this building, I think: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0507...7i16384!8i8192) and had absolutely no idea that the subway was being extended to Westwood. When I pointed out the station construction site at Fairfax, he squinted in disbelief. He's one of those guys who thinks Elon Musk invented the tunnel boring machine.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:25 AM

LA Metro tweets they are making good progress on the Purple Line:

"Good news from Under The Westside: we completed excavating both tunnels for Section 2 of the Purple (D Line) Extension last week btwn Wilshire/La Cienega and Century City! In the pic are the tunneling machines for Sect 2 at Wilshire/Rodeo last year."

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 8:55 PM

Sepulveda Pass community meetings happening starting tomorrow. I'm going tomorrow (Saturday) around 10a. Anyone else going?

In-Person Open Houses
Saturday, January 21, 2023
9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Marvin Braude Center*
6262 Van Nuys Blvd
Van Nuys, CA 91401

Tuesday, January 24, 2023
5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Westwood United Methodist Church
10497 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Please note that there will not be a formal presentation at the in-person open houses. Join us at any time to visit different information centers to learn and share your thoughts about the potential station locations and entrances. For directions to the open houses, scroll further down.

Virtual Open House
Thursday, January 26, 2023
6 p.m. – 8 p.m.**
Zoom Webinar

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 20, 2023 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 4:52 AM

Quote:

Sepulveda Pass community meetings happening starting tomorrow. I'm going tomorrow (Saturday) around 10a. Anyone else going?
How did it go? Was there a presentation?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
How did it go? Was there a presentation?
Thanks for asking Craigs. The meeting was all about the station locations and entrance/exit points for all 6 alternatives. No formal presentation, more of a wandering set of walk-ups. They each had a board and computer for every station location with information, satellite views and a representative from each of the teams; Metro, LA Skyrail (BYD) and STP (Bechtel) answering questions and presenting at each point. It was very interesting, like they were all battling it out. Metro consultant would speak first, then each of the P3 reps. I've been to many Metro meetings and have never seen anything like this, usually it’s just a Metro rep/consultant. It was cool to see the vying for attention and respect. Alt 1-5 are all P3 and 6 is Metro

Alt 1-3 (LA Skyrail BYD) monorail transfer stations at the Orange line and Expo will have the longest walks between platforms. The Sepulveda configuration is weird because Metro is grade separating and moving the Orangeline station over to elevate above Sepulveda from its current location next to the 405. This is weird because BYD will have a full block long walk to transfer. And the Expo line will also have a full block-long walk.

Alt 4 & 5 (STP Bechtel) will be a single bore tunnel, a first for LA, and will have the least amount of demolition/impact to existing buildings and infrastructure. It was fascinating thinking about how this line will be seriously multi-leveled. Think about the Sepulveda station on alt 4. The Orangeline will be elevated at Sepulveda, then this line would go over that. 3 above grade Levels of public transport with sky-high views of the Valley. : They are playing up their smaller less intrusive station boxes and 2 min headways compared to alt 6 larger 4 min headway trains. Alt 4 still my favorite, those views… I need

Alt 6 (Metro), the Van Nuys bl route ending at Bundy is the only driver operated alternative and will be constructed in twin bore configuration. The station boxes are also the largest of all which contributes to why the route is the straightest of all of them, also the most expensive. The Wilshire station has the longest biggest box to accommodate the larger trains which does have a bonus of an entrance all the way to Kinross ave, 2 blocks north from Wilshire.

In all alternatives, The Wilshire/Westwood station will be huge! With 5-6 entrances in combination with the Purple line. The most of any station in Metro's network right now.

They said all these presentation would be available online, but I've looked and I dont see them. Will attend another meeting and take pictures to share with more detail. Maybe I'll start making videos.

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 22, 2023 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 1:54 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

A6 is the best, although Metro's proposal should include using Bechtel's proposed construction methodology (only using a larger TBM) and running automated trains.

They should also have an elevated version of A6.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for asking Craigs. The meeting was all about the station locations and entrance/exit points for all 6 alternatives. No formal presentation, more of a wandering set of walk-ups. They each had a board and computer for every station location with information, satellite views and a representative from each of the teams; Metro, LA Skyrail (BYD) and STP (Bechtel) answering questions and presenting at each point. It was very interesting, like they were all battling it out. Metro consultant would speak first, then each of the P3 reps. I've been to many Metro meetings and have never seen anything like this, usually it’s just a Metro rep/consultant. It was cool to see the vying for attention and respect. Alt 1-5 are all P3 and 6 is Metro

Alt 1-3 (LA Skyrail BYD) monorail transfer stations at the Orange line and Expo will have the longest walks between platforms. The Sepulveda configuration is weird because Metro is grade separating and moving the Orangeline station over to elevate above Sepulveda from its current location next to the 405. This is weird because BYD will have a full block long walk to transfer. And the Expo line will also have a full block-long walk.

Alt 4 & 5 (STP Bechtel) will be a single bore tunnel, a first for LA, and will have the least amount of demolition/impact to existing buildings and infrastructure. It was fascinating thinking about how this line will be seriously multi-leveled. Think about the Sepulveda station on alt 4. The Orangeline will be elevated at Sepulveda, then this line would go over that. 3 above grade Levels of public transport with sky-high views of the Valley. : They are playing up their smaller less intrusive station boxes and 2 min headways compared to alt 6 larger 4 min headway trains. Alt 4 still my favorite, those views… I need

Alt 6 (Metro), the Van Nuys bl route ending at Bundy is the only driver operated alternative and will be constructed in twin bore configuration. The station boxes are also the largest of all which contributes to why the route is the straightest of all of them, also the most expensive. The Wilshire station has the longest biggest box to accommodate the larger trains which does have a bonus of an entrance all the way to Kinross ave, 2 blocks north from Wilshire.

In all alternatives, The Wilshire/Westwood station will be huge! With 5-6 entrances in combination with the Purple line. The most of any station in Metro's network right now.

They said all these presentation would be available online, but I've looked and I dont see them. Will attend another meeting and take pictures to share with more detail. Maybe I'll start making videos.
It sounds like some of the workshops I attended in San Francisco for various transportation projects. Thanks for attending, and for the rundown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation