HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:36 PM

Ya nutttin wrong with rudys but if that was a cactus club instead it b a game changer... not really a big fan of rudys food but the atmosphere and design of the restaurant isnt bad.. seems relatively busy during summer spring afternoons

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:01 PM

Any photo updates from Sutton Place? They were working on main floor forms before the holidays. But doesn't look like much progress from what I can see over here. Some columns formed to the south end of site.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:37 PM

I think one of the biggest challenges for Rudy's is the dumb downtown farmers market that happens once a week really holds it back from having one of the most amazing patios in downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think one of the biggest challenges for Rudy's is the dumb downtown farmers market that happens once a week really holds it back from having one of the most amazing patios in downtown.
I always reach over and grab a couple of fries when I'm at the farmer's market.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
"biggest challenge" is a Farmers Market that happens for a few hours, 1x week for a 2-3 months a year? yikes

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:17 PM

Tons of workers on site at sutton development at all times im sure itll be half way up by june

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
"biggest challenge" is a Farmers Market that happens for a few hours, 1x week for a 2-3 months a year? yikes
Yeah its sad a very limited time event puts restrictions on the size of the Rudy's patio but that is just how backwards the space is currently. Simply put for the space it has available the Rudy's patio should be much larger than it is and it would be a really happening spot about 4 months of the year.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:04 PM

^ They couldn't make it much larger without intruding onto the paths and landscaped area, though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:50 PM

^^ They could potentially change some of that landscaped area to a patio. As designed the landscaped area is a very poor use of the space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:00 PM

That area is not designed to accommodate a farmers market specifically, stealing space from Rudy's. The farmers market is after the fact using whatever space they have.

Sure they could've made it a flat plaza area with the trees still as is for shade. As opposed to the little hills that are there now. Either way, I enjoy sitting out there in the summer. Quite nice.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:29 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Any photo updates from Sutton Place? They were working on main floor forms before the holidays. But doesn't look like much progress from what I can see over here. Some columns formed to the south end of site.
Sorry, but I'm kinda busy over here!

Shut down with the cold.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:27 PM

When I go into the MB/SK subforum and see Winnipeg Grump posted an update for TNS I get excited lol oooooh oooooh

As always, thanks for the photo!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
When I go into the MB/SK subforum and see Winnipeg Grump posted an update for TNS I get excited lol oooooh oooooh

As always, thanks for the photo!
LOL!

"Hey, guys. Look, there's some more rebar!"

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:34 PM

Seems like a common trend, shut down for cold. all the cranes are doing the weather vane thing right now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:20 AM

The Rudy's patio is monstrous and uses the entire purpose-built patio area. Not sure what you're talking about Cory.

Cactus Club has absolutely no plans of coming here lilwayne.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:36 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The Rudy's patio is monstrous and uses the entire purpose-built patio area. Not sure what you're talking about Cory.

Cactus Club has absolutely no plans of coming here lilwayne.
Cactus club is too over-rated and clique-like anyways. Born & raised Winnipegger's would absolutely despise it. They won't even HIRE people, who don't even have the financial means to go there, or that aren't at their feet, groveling in its supposed "culture"... believe me, I've tried. They refused to hire me. They would be lucky to even scrounge up the bourgeoise of Winnipeg, and so far, we all know that those types all prefer Joey, 529 Wellington, Corydon Avenue restaurants and others. On a financial standpoint? They might make some sales when they first open, but just like IKEA, Canadian Brewhouse and all newcomers, they will storm the places in droves in opening months, and after that they'll leave them high & dry, and eventually they'll close down & never come back to Winnipeg, short of either a) 1 million people in the CMA, or b) people actually having money to spend. Example: Mr. Mikes Steakhouses.

As for Rudy's patio, it's large enough as it is. If they want to expand, they should go tear CanadInn's asshole, buy Tavern United & expand their seating capacities significantly. Then maybe create a 2nd restaurant in place of the Hydro tower, or just sub-divide it into a bunch of Burger Kings, Autopac's and Sbarro's, or something...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:17 PM

^ I was under the impression that Mr. Mike's is a mainly smaller-city joint in places like Dauphin, Brandon, etc. Although there is one at Kenaston and McGillivray.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:38 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I was under the impression that Mr. Mike's is a mainly smaller-city joint in places like Dauphin, Brandon, etc. Although there is one at Kenaston and McGillivray.
My point though: if a new company comes to Winnipeg such as the "safety dance" elitists of Cactus Club, would they even be able to stay in business long-term? The minimal wage is in their favour, but their general disdain of us blue-collar, down-to-earth Winnipeg types, along with high prices and placing Picasso all over the walls in an attempt to reel people through the doors for $30 avocado/kelp-based meals...

Doesn't sound or feel like Winnipeg at all. It would never succeed. Especially when there's places like NuBurger, Boon Burger, and tons of other homegrown restaurants, that already cover the market and have support in such a way, that Cactus Club (short of some sort of massive disposable income boost or some sort of weird avocado fad, in the Winnipeg CMA) would have true trouble trying to make it work inside the city.

Same with some other brands too. East Side Marios for example, its practically on a death march just like CanadInns Tavern Uniteds. The only difference, is that CanadInns at least has some ability to scrounge up talent and bring people in the doors... East Side Marios within Winnipeg? With all of the buffet places, current restaurants and stuff inside of the Perimeter...? They would be decimated. In Calgary, that restaursnt chains pracricaly limping day to day. But Winnipeg? They would never succeed.

Mr. Mikes is present in Calgary, maybe not a huge presence, but it exists inside of the city. I could see places like that working well inside Winnipeg. Same with Chili's, Jack, Carls Jr, those types of places would work wonders. Unless someone convinces Elon Musk or Bill Gates, or Jeff Bezos, to add 10,000 highly paid jobs within the Perimetre & then proceeding to build a Cactus Club right at the gates of the factories, along with a limo service to/from Wellington Crescent... i just dont see how these "upscale casual dining" establishments could survive an entry into Winnipeg, especially when the city in that regard is already full from home-grown restsurants that cover that section of the market well & when its practically hard enough as it is, to have the disposable income to sustain the survival of such a chain into Winnipeg, when all of the avocado and kelp eaters are already committed to local businesses in Osborne, Corydon, NuBurger/Boon Burger & the Exchange.

Cactus Club wouldn't stand a chance in Winnipeg.

Reminds me, Calgary could use a NuBurger...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:46 PM

^ You have put Cactus Club on some kind of weird pedestal. I looked at their menu and it's same type of food and price point as all of the other casual dining joints in town like Earls, Moxie's, Joey's, Brown's Socialhouse, etc.

I can't speak as to why they haven't opened a location in Winnipeg (seems to be mainly a BC chain with locations in a few other places) but it's not like that type of restaurant would be somehow unprecedented here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan