HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:08 PM

[SA] $100million+ hospital going up at Brooks City-Base

Developments like this and the planned University hospital expansion downtown are leading me to believe that SA's biggest medical building boom is still ahead

~~~

Hospital vision for Brooks will come true

Web Posted: 07/03/2008 01:04 AM CDT

By Travis E. Poling
Express-News

A deal three years in the making will put a $100 million hospital project at the heart of Brooks City-Base, where it will be the largest tenant.

Baptist Health System purchased 28 acres to build a hospital and two office buildings that Brooks development officials hope will turn a large part of the former Air Force base into medical and biotech magnet that will reinvent the South Side.

Southeast Baptist Hospital at Brooks City-Base and two accompanying medical office buildings will represent hundreds of medical jobs and draw more medical businesses in the future, Brooks Development Authority CEO Donald Jakeway said.

“This project with Baptist is going to redefine the South Side,” Jakeway said.

Brooks City-Base is selling and leasing parts of the 1,400-acre former military base as the Air Force moves out through 2011. DPT Laboratories has a major research facility there with nearly 150 employees.

“John Feik's project got us started,” Jakeway said of the head of DPT Laboratories.

The $5 million paid for the land will be pumped back into road building on Brooks City-Base. City and county property taxes paid by Baptist also will fund road projects, including the extension of South New Braunfels Avenue through Brooks.

Baptist also has an option to buy 22 acres of connected land for development of other ancillary medical services.

The Brooks City-Base master plan sets aside dozens more acres adjacent to the Baptist complex for future health care, biotech or pharmaceutical companies, said Andrew Zapata, director of planning and development for Brooks.

“I think it's going to be a phenomenal site,” said Mike Zucker, chief development officer of the Baptist Health System. He said he thinks it will spur additional medical development, a common occurrence in areas where hospitals are built.

Baptist first said in June 2005 that it was scrapping plans to expand a now 35-year-old hospital on East Southcross Boulevard in favor of building a new state-of-the-art medical facility from scratch.

But then the process slowed. Baptist wanted to build on a piece of land bordered by Southeast Military Drive and still populated by Air Force personnel. It's the highest point on the South Side, but contains stands of large trees and would need 20 feet graded off the top to make it level enough for large buildings, Jakeway said.

Instead, the Brooks Development Authority offered Baptist a parcel with no trees or buildings and with easy access from two main roads under construction.

Baptist eventually agreed, and once the City Council established a tax zone to create funding for roads in the development, the deal came together.

District 3 Councilwoman Jennifer Ramos said easy access to quality health care will be a boon to the Southeast Side.

“I am very proud to be a part of this project that will provide such an essential service in our community as well as bring much needed jobs to District 3,” Ramos said.

Jakeway said the Baptist deal will help them aggressively market Brooks City-Base for development.

“This is going to make the phone ring,” Jakeway said.

Baptist will now begin the process of researching how many rooms and staff are needed.

“We've taken this long to acquire the land. Now we're going to move as quickly as we can,” Zucker said.

Initially, Baptist intended to build a hospital with extensive outpatient services, 175 inpatient beds and room to expand to 400 beds. The hospital could hire as many as 300 people when it opens, but a start date or completion date haven't been determined.

The estimated cost of the project three years ago was $100 million or more. Since then, steel and concrete prices have risen dramatically and the cost of labor has increased, so the ultimate price tag could be higher, Zucker said.

The existing Southeast Baptist will remain part of the hospital system, but how it will be used hasn't been determined, Zucker said. A surgical center, free-standing emergency department or satellite hospital are among the ideas being considered.

Baptist officials met Tuesday with doctors practicing at Southeast Baptist to let them know the plans for the new hospital finally were moving forward.

“A lot of them were relieved,” Zucker said. “They were worried it wasn't going to happen.”

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:47 PM
Endless Moments...

This is very good news for the area. They are going to need more medical resources in that area, with all the growth and development. Very Kewl...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:35 PM
James

Awesome, can't wait til more projects for Brooks come about.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:22 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The city's plans to turn Brooks City-Base into Research and Technology with biotech or pharmaceutical companies is slowly becoming reality.

There's a lot more planned or in negotiations that has yet to hit the public.

This will go a long way in continuing to diversifying the economy of San Antonio as well as helping to reshape the south side.

Also, they've updated their site and logo.

http://www.brookscity-base.com

Also, check out this building planned for BCB.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:26 AM

Also, counting this hospital, that now gives us a total of five hospitals under construction. Though this has yet to break ground, it will soon.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:42 AM

Is this anywhere near the South Texas Medical Center?

But what exactly is this place? I can't tell from the website. There is suburban development (Best Buy, etc.), some hotels, etc.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

But what exactly is this place? I can't tell from the website.
Nah. This is the far SE side of town, near I-37 and Loop 410.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:29 AM
James

Yeah, but this is more infill than suburban sprawl... just with sprawl look and feel.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:49 AM

I work for DPT so I've had a pretty good view of how the area has changed in a short matter of time. Actually, I'm surprised to see the amount of attention that's going into the BCB location to make it attractable to future development. The major gripe everyone has is the location, however the facilities and vast undeveloped land makes this an attractive area. They just finished the final phases of the man-made lake, complete with water falls and landscaping leading into Research Plaza Dr. As of right now, we're to only occupants on the street but it's no secret that other pharma and biotech companies will be coming in the immediate future. Good news!
(Wish I had photos to show you guys but I'll see what I can do)

Last edited by BSofA04; Jul 4, 2008 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:58 AM

Quote:

But what exactly is this place? I can't tell from the website. There is suburban development (Best Buy, etc.), some hotels, etc.
Take 37 south to SE Miliatry Dr. Hang a right, then a left on Brooks City Base Landing. The Base's entrance is on the right hand side at the Wal-Mart intersection, and Research Plaza is the next street on the right hand side.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 3:52 PM

Quote:

Does this help?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 1:59 AM

Yes it does.

So this is near CitySouth?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 10:04 PM

If you go by what this website http://www.sanantonio.gov/citysouth/landmarks.asp says, then yes it is close. It is about 1 mile north of CS on I-37 or Goliad Road. There are many new homes and a new elementary school a little southwest of where the land for the hospial is so the area is slowly building up. I can't wait for projects outside of 410 to take shape and get going.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:37 PM

This is all great, but what about Berg's Mill??!!
(Just a leg-pull), you know.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:45 PM

It will be interesting to see which southside location merits the routing of any light rail that may eventually see the light of day, the A&M nucleus or that forming around BCB. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:36 PM

Well the EDC of Poth, pop. 1850, down 181, bought the old railroad depot in May, just in case the light rail ever tracks the same line as the old Aransas Pass Rail. They have some good sausage down there (Wiatreks). I have to admit that with so much emphasis on the BCB area and the growth of areas to the southeast like La Vernia and Floresville, and the proximity of this area to the coast, the potential for the area going down 181 to Port A is great.

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 10, 2008 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Well the EDC of Poth, pop. 1850, down 181, bought the old railroad depot in May, just in case the light rail ever tracks the same line as the old Aransas Pass Rail. They have some good sausage down there (Wiatreks). I have to admit that with so much emphasis on the BCB area and the growth of areas to the southeast like La Vernia and Floresville, and the proximity of this area to the coast, the potential for the area going down 181 to Port A is great.
I have to agree, especially with regard to the sausage. It could turn out that the acquisition of the old depot is a wise, long-term investment for the Poth EDC, regardless of whether a San Antonio light rail becomes reality or not. From the standpoint of real-estate worth, structures such as that tend to hold their value.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:43 PM

Just found a page with a larger pic of the Professional Office Center that Sirkingwilliam posted.
its pdf and i don't know how to reformat so here is the link.
Found it on the Brooks City-base website.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:37 AM

Thanks Miaht.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:43 AM

Looks good, that area is gonna be great in a few years!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio