HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 9:28 PM

^But will it really matter? It's only 365 signatures too. Is there a petition to sign in favour of the 24 storey plan?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^But will it really matter? It's only 365 signatures too. Is there a petition to sign in favour of the 24 storey plan?
If you have 1 person going against the application it will drag on for years.

Winnipeg is full of NIMBYS.

Wanda Koop does not even live on Waterfront Drive and she spearheaded this movement.

If she does not like it then, "put you money where your mouth is."

If not, then just shut up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dont slam wonda coop its her community its not nimby its about insureing it is gettingproper public.disclosure as the city is doing allot of back door on a project that has zoneing variance that go againg pla winnipeg... for the area....... its all about human scale and proper due process

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:57 AM

So if the NIMBY's get their way, it will sit their as is or be demolished. Every option option has been looked at. Economics don't work apparently. So then what happens to this historic treasure?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post

Wanda Koop does not even live on Waterfront Drive and she spearheaded this movement.

If she does not like it then, "put you money where your mouth is."

If not, then just shut up.
Wanda Koop has a Pumphouse vision too with some effective ideas, but they're just that - ideas. If she could put up the cash and get it done, I'd be all for it. Problem is, she's not and this other group is. Something needs to be done or that building will sit derelict forever as the neighbourhood grows around it.

Wanda's vision:
http://pumphouseneighbourhood.blogsp...ouse-park.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 5:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

problem is the pumps can't be taken out

manitoba museum should be taking ownership an getting a museum going with a small cafe in the front where theres missing pumps.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 6:57 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Lots of opposition to the height variance for the Pumping Station proposal. Over 360 signatures and comments:

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-...share_petition
You know, if the NDP converted to communists, we wouldn't need to satisfy these NIMBYS at all!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 9:09 AM

how much is known about the developer behind the pumphouse project?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:09 PM

I have to say I kind of agree with Wanda's vision. I am 100% not against vertical development (I am very much for it, and I think the best thing our city could do is bury all the surface lots with moderate to high density development but thats another story). I always thought the pump house would be more appropriate as a more commercial space, with a market type feel. Even maybe an indoor (year round) farmers/produce market to help support the neighbourhood. Small merchant type stalls would be very fitting in that space, and then an expanded area (maybe about) with restaurants with river views. That would also support the Alexander Docks if they ever get redone and developed. Just a thought.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_Chick View Post
I have to say I kind of agree with Wanda's vision. I am 100% not against vertical development (I am very much for it, and I think the best thing our city could do is bury all the surface lots with moderate to high density development but thats another story). I always thought the pump house would be more appropriate as a more commercial space, with a market type feel. Even maybe an indoor (year round) farmers/produce market to help support the neighbourhood. Small merchant type stalls would be very fitting in that space, and then an expanded area (maybe about) with restaurants with river views. That would also support the Alexander Docks if they ever get redone and developed. Just a thought.
The issue is there have been numerous such proposals over the close to 30 years since the pumphouse has been shut down and none of them have been economically viable. This highrise is probably the last chance to "save" the pumphouse. The more ideal solutions aren't feasable.

From my understanding the pumphouse is nearing a point where it will have to be torn down if its not fixed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:49 PM

Could someone residing /or working in the East Exchange (north of market specifically) / or frequenting it please tell me how many residence this entire neighborhood has living their at this time and how many commercial/retail spaces are vacant? I want to actually get an idea of the sustainability of the neighborhood with the amount of people living their 24/7 or at least working their during the day. I know it's tough to put an exact number on it but an estimation?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Could someone residing /or working in the East Exchange (north of market specifically) / or frequenting it please tell me how many residence this entire neighborhood has living their at this time and how many commercial/retail spaces are vacant? I want to actually get an idea of the sustainability of the neighborhood with the amount of people living their 24/7 or at least working their during the day. I know it's tough to put an exact number on it but an estimation?
Sky, on the same block as the pumphouse, has 100ish residential units. 3 commercial units in phase 1. Phase 2, just completed, has 33 residential, 3 commercial. Phase 1 is essentially completely occupied. Phase 2 has 6 unsold residential, 3 unsold commercial.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
i can't tell you, but i think would say sky condos has about 200 residents? i'd say thats about average for maybe strand and exlcesior? but thats just my guess. i work and live in exchange, and i walk to work everyday. i know at lunch hours during summer, i see a lot of people walking down waterfront ave. and around the exchange. and i'd say during the night life, the streets have been completely full due to whatever is showing at all the theatres. and im talking about almost everyday! i never knew theatre was that busy, especially during this weather. whenever i have friends over, they have to park far from the condo. just yesterday, we was looking for a restaurant to eat for dinner, we first went to pedros, boon burger, shawarma khan, la bamba on portage but they were all closed on sundays? don't know if they were always closed on sundays, or if its becuase its winter season?, but i just never realized it till yesterday. so ended up at stellas on osbourne. carnaval has been pretty busy from what i see as well, we tried going there for lunch on friday, but it was all full.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 5:50 PM

Thx for your estimations guys. Just from a cursory look this area is in need of double to triple the density before anything else is even contemplated. Your going to need far more residence living in this area 24/7 before we should even be looking at other additions , ie: past ideas, brew pub,cafe's,night clubs and the countless other proposals we've heard about. The farther you move along Waterfront the tougher the sell.

Concentrate your efforts with higher density developments, the low-mid rise solutions are fine but you need massive foot traffic with higher density structures. Thier is still a huge stigma attached to this area and at this rate the neighbor hood will take forever to blossom into a truly vibrant community.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 8:32 PM

If this building is going to ruin the Exchange the same can be said of the residential towers in Osborne. The ones that in fact help to give that community the density and diversity it needs to thrive.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The issue is there have been numerous such proposals over the close to 30 years since the pumphouse has been shut down and none of them have been economically viable. This highrise is probably the last chance to "save" the pumphouse. The more ideal solutions aren't feasable.

From my understanding the pumphouse is nearing a point where it will have to be torn down if its not fixed.
and this is the big, important thing. hopefully this is what those opposing the development but would still like to save the pump house end up understanding...the development is grande because its the only way to make it financially feasible to save this heritage building.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 8:56 PM

[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*486/JAMES_17176428.jpg[/IMG]

Bold concept for pumphouse may enhance strong appeal of Exchange

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 9:11 PM

Good article and nice to see another rendering of the building. I really hope this goes through, this whole opposition scenario is making me nervous.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Thx for Adding the image and Article to the Exchange District thread. I borrowed HeadHorses post to view the images from the Contruction Thread FM. The images are Humungous...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
If this building is going to ruin the Exchange the same can be said of the residential towers in Osborne. The ones that in fact help to give that community the density and diversity it needs to thrive.
This is a great example of what Density can create,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan