HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
With all these planning inspired names for restaurants so far downtown (District, Province, Boulevard, etc.) somebody should start another one serving 1890's inspired fare (local ingredients for the era, etc) and call it Territory.
Serve Venison, Rabbit and Bison. I'd be game. (pun intended)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
With all these planning inspired names for restaurants so far downtown (District, Province, Boulevard, etc.) somebody should start another one serving 1890's inspired fare (local ingredients for the era, etc) and call it Territory.
Perhaps you've cracked the secret plan for the Lodge next door?

re: exit - I never noticed just how much space there is on the north side of Monroe between the sidewalk curb and Chase Tower. Even if relocating the garage ramps was out of the question, I am surprised nobody has ever proposed building SOMETHING along the edges of the Chase Plaza. Such a waste as is!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:24 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I never noticed just how much space there is on the north side of Monroe between the sidewalk curb and Chase Tower. Even if relocating the garage ramps was out of the question, I am surprised nobody has ever proposed building SOMETHING along the edges of the Chase Plaza. Such a waste as is!
The worst waste of space there is the drive-thru ATM. It's completely inappropriate for an urban environment and causes the sidewalk to narrow and deviate from its course.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:57 PM

And here it is...... it looks ok.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...arden-inn.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Sometimes I don't know what it would take for people on this forum to be satisfied with a project in Phoenix. From the pictures, I think the lobby turned out great. What's the alternative? Let it sit for another decade for the "perfect" project?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Sometimes I don't know what it would take for people on this forum to be satisfied with a project in Phoenix. From the pictures, I think the lobby turned out great. What's the alternative? Let it sit for another decade for the "perfect" project?
Obviously its better than being empty Idk I think the lobby doesn't look that great, maybe its the color choices

Im happy that they kept quite a it of art Deco but ...IDK I was expecting it to be warmer looking, more brass and gold and stuff.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Is it me or does everything inside look really flat and "cheap?" The architecture looks great, but the furnishings and the rooms all look very grey and monotone. Perhaps there are things still to be done, like plants and other things to make it pop. Glad it will be opening and the new retail will definitely awaken that corner.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:29 PM

The caption under the pictures says it's where Psycho was filmed, that's not correct.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Is it me or does everything inside look really flat and "cheap?" The architecture looks great, but the furnishings and the rooms all look very grey and monotone. Perhaps there are things still to be done, like plants and other things to make it pop. Glad it will be opening and the new retail will definitely awaken that corner.
It's Hilton Garden Inn and rooms are $119/night, what did you expect?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:35 PM

Something about the colors of the lobby aren't my favorite (like they are trying to mesh a typical boring desert beige color scheme from the suburbs into a kick ass historic art deco building), but it looks like they at least tried to keep a bunch of the old details and even highlight some of them.

Overall I think it looks great. What's better? A demolished building, a vacant building with pigeon shit everywhere, or this? Obviously this.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:47 PM

Also, those photos are not very good, and turned out really dark. So it probably looks more impressive in person- seems like they kept a lot of the old art deco details and tried to give it some unique features. Overall a win

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
I agree about the rooms. I think they were going for the contemporary style where everything is a different shade of grey.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree about the rooms. I think they were going for the contemporary style where everything is a different shade of grey.
I agree. I think I counted 50 Shades of Grey.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I read the comments and expected an abomination, when in fact, it looks pretty damn good. I guess some people prefer the hotels previous 'looks like it could crumble at any moment' look.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Exactly. I read the comments and expected an abomination, when in fact, it looks pretty damn good. I guess some people prefer the hotels previous 'looks like it could crumble at any moment' look.
I think it looks appropriate for the level of hotel it is, would it be a disappointment if it were a ritz carlton? absolutely! is it ok as HGI? sure!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I think it looks appropriate for the level of hotel it is, would it be a disappointment if it were a ritz carlton? absolutely! is it ok as HGI? sure!
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:15 AM

I think it's unfair to twist people's disappointment/criticism and conclude that they'd prefer an empty or demo'd building. Why does it have to one of these extremes? In between are options like a different, more upscale brand, or a unique boutique project. Given that multiple buyers were interested and the market has only improved since, I imagine it would not have taken long for one of those scenarios to occur.

I think it's obvious everyone here just wants the best projects for downtown; the discussion would be rather lame if it was constant cheerleading. From the beginning, their marketing screamed "this won't be your typical HGI," so if that's how people see the finished product, I am not surprised people are unimpressed. This building was one of the only chances for a great, public HP restoration. Given its rep for being a 'young city,' it was an opportunity to show visitors the city's history. Maybe Hotel Monroe was too ambitious, but a boutique property that took a similar approach in creating multiple public spaces inspired by the building itself would have added a unique attraction downtown.

My opinion? I am more impressed by their plans to restore the adjacent historic building, by them landing a high quality local restaurant (will be located on the corner of Monroe/Central), and by the mention of adding a retailer in the basement vault... than I am disappointed in its design. My only concern is that the remaining retail is filled with appropriate tenants, and that the lobby bar and restaurant are clearly identified along the street.

It'd be great if the retail mix encourages some remodeling and leasing action across Central. Someone once posted that both the 2-story building on Adams and 1-story "Subway building" on Monroe still have their original brick underneath. The Adams building in particular could use a facelift, and the one on Monroe would tie into the surrounding HP properties. More importantly, I hope over the next year, some more impressive tenants will join Subway, the former Ghost Lounge at San Carlos is reopened as some kind of night-spot, US Bank is remodeled - jk, but hopefully they can lease the retail space furthest east; finally, it'd nice to see 44m's retail filled, esp. because 1st Ave is cluttered with empty space.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

It'd be great if the retail mix encourages some remodeling and leasing action across Central. Someone once posted that both the 2-story building on Adams and 1-story "Subway building" on Monroe still have their original brick underneath. The Adams building in particular could use a facelift, and the one on Monroe would tie into the surrounding HP properties. More importantly, I hope over the next year, some more impressive tenants will join Subway, the former Ghost Lounge at San Carlos is reopened as some kind of night-spot, US Bank is remodeled - jk, but hopefully they can lease the retail space furthest east; finally, it'd nice to see 44m's retail filled, esp. because 1st Ave is cluttered with empty space.
Cornish Pasty Company will be next to Subway, and there's actual work being done there after years of delays.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 12:45 AM

Walked through the Hilton Garden Inn this afternoon while downtown. The lobby is beautiful, the pictures don't do it enough justice. There will soon be a bar at the west end of the lobby and there is a small business center with a fireplace and sitting room on the east side. The staff was very nice when I mentioned we were just wanting to see the place. The restaurant is being built out on the North West corner of the building.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:33 PM

Pics of the Hilton Hotel in Downtown PHX taken on 3/27/16. If you love art deco (which I do) then you gotta love this building. The interior was redone very tastefully - it has a 1920s aura to it. It appears the new restaurant will open very soon (April?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest